Aliexpress/etc GPUs?

jdempsey

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 26, 2017
Messages
199
I know I know.. I'm sure you guys will have a laugh, but I'm curious if anybody here has any experience with import GPUs off aliexpress. A friend of mine is considering a build with a 9060xt 16gb, and comparative prices are pretty good.. I've bought quite a few things, some, orders of magnitude more expensive (machine tools, etc) than these gpus, and never actually gotten scammed/cheated from Aliexpress.. That said I've never bought computer components, and anything with any sort of memory atm seems risky, so I figured I'd ask:

Anybody bought any GPUs off Aliexpress, if so, was it legit? I'm assuming they use domestic (possibly questionable) locally sourced components, possibly underwhelming spec memory, etc, and probably have no practical warranty, that seems obvious. Not really looking for an opinion on value proposition; my friend can make that choice; and I certainly concede it may not be worth the risk trying to save $75ish and this may be largely academic, but I'd still like to know whether these are just a scam, or an actual (debatable) option?

Cheers!
 
Aliexpress is just a marketplace, so judging it as a whole is tricky. I have worked with lots of vendors and manufacturers off of there with good success.

It comes down to who you are specifically buying from.

Also I am not seeing any fantastic deals on there compared to anything local. Tarrifs/other charges make up the difference. Go to checkout and you'll see the final price.
 
that^^.
if customs/duty wasnt such a pita, id sell him the one i have sitting on my desk...

yeah fair point I hadn't considered. TBH I haven't ordered anything from Aliexpress/etc since the whole tariff war fiasco.. Previous to that, there had seemingly been long-standing blanket exception given for personal imports here in the US, but I had heard that changed. Even $6000 fiber laser arrived safely without any added customs/import fees.


I was under the impression that most of the china related tariffs imposed last year (or whenever) were mostly bye-bye though? Are you guys getting hit with personal import duties now? I know that's something people in the rest of the world have long dealt with, but in the US, I've never actually gotten hit with an import duty for non-commercial/business purchases?
 
I was under the impression that most of the china related tariffs imposed last year (or whenever) were mostly bye-bye though? Are you guys getting hit with personal import duties now? I know that's something people in the rest of the world have long dealt with, but in the US, I've never actually gotten hit with an import duty for non-commercial/business purchases?
we always have, its usually built into shipping costs, but the new tariff bs just made it worse/complicated to go can->us and vice versa.
 
Not worth the risk in my opinion, and you'd have no manufacturer's warranty.
 
Back
Top