Alienware M11X R1 Refurb $499

So those of you that have received yours, how do you tell if you have a fixed hinge? Mine comes in tomorrow and it would be nice to know what my situation is :)

There are no fixed hinges, if by fixed you mean a screen that doesn't hit the keyboard. Blatantly bad design there. Dell said after months of playing the denial game that they'll repair every single MX11 hinge to prevent it from hitting the screen.

I'm getting a screen and keyboard protector anyway so nothing will get damaged. It's $20 for both on ebay.

If you can get rubber sticking pads you can probably mount them on the bottom of the screen to create distance from the keyboard, as an alternative. But I don't know where you'd find them in the appropriate size and color.

Nabbed an R2 for $673 after tax. Only drawback was the HDD is 250GB... is replacing the HD difficult?

Can't wait to get this thing. After years of lugging around 17-18.4" laptops for "work" (read: playing games on the plane), I'm looking forward to reduced back pain.

Nope. Take off the bottom cover with only a couple screws. Then a few more for the HDD, reverse and you are done. :D

Great. Sounds much better than the hassle it was on my m17x.

Also, I've got a spare i7-720qm sitting around... would this work in the m11 and is it possible to replace the CPU?

No. The m11x CPU is soldered on with a custom BGA mount in both revisions of the m11x.

Anyone have any trouble with the speakers? Mine aren't functioning. The headphone jack is fine but the speakers just don't work.

Then ask Dell support for help, I guess. I don't recall any BIOS speaker settings in the R1 BIOS (I think Sony does this :p), so I'll take a shot at this: does the control panel show a headphone plugged in? It could be a bad TRS connector, which would indicate the Audio daughterboard (detachable, above the HDD area). Otherwise, it could be the speakers.

It's easy to reload the OS. Use the alienspawn software through the start menu. You'll have it reloaded in minutes.

First let me contribute to the thread then I'll ask a question.

For those concerned about Hinge issue see this link about an upcoming fix

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6025

Now my question. I really wanted to pull the trigger on a M11X but I'm concerned about current and games released in the next 2 years running ok on it. Should I consider spending $300 more and get this (which I assume is better for gaming) instead?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215001&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3640576&SID=skim525X832Xbf5fe5e3fd55847bfddabd16c1dc786b

this looks good to but don't think I can gather the money in time before teh $100 rebate runs out in a couple days.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152204&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3640576&SID=skim525X832X11fba2c8d3af64c85e7898b292bd8777

You're comparing a notebook sized product to a netbook sized product. That said, whatever runs poorly on the M11X certainly isn't going to be running much better on that Acer. Also, it's Acer. Not a brand I'd recommend.

Games released between now and the next iteration of consoles (2013, maybe) should mostly run well enough at medium settings, excluding obvious outliers like Crysis 2.

You're comparing a notebook sized product to a netbook sized product. That said, whatever runs poorly on the M11X certainly isn't going to be running much better on that Acer. Also, it's Acer. Not a brand I'd recommend.

Games released between now and the next iteration of consoles (2013, maybe) should mostly run well enough at medium settings, excluding obvious outliers like Crysis 2.

Only Acer I'd even bother recommending is the HD5650/i3 370m (no UM trash) 3820TG... but it's currently only avalible in Canadian retailers.:mad:

First let me contribute to the thread then I'll ask a question.

For those concerned about Hinge issue see this link about an upcoming fix

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6025

Now my question. I really wanted to pull the trigger on a M11X but I'm concerned about current and games released in the next 2 years running ok on it. Should I consider spending $300 more and get this (which I assume is better for gaming) instead?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215001&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3640576&SID=skim525X832Xbf5fe5e3fd55847bfddabd16c1dc786b

this looks good to but don't think I can gather the money in time before teh $100 rebate runs out in a couple days.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152204&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3640576&SID=skim525X832X11fba2c8d3af64c85e7898b292bd8777

Apples to oranges.

The m11x is a small netbook esque sized gaming platform. Those two you quoted get progressively bigger! Both of the alternatives you suggested would be better for gaming if you are looking only at the numbers. The m11x is a sexy beast, and very portable. Pick what's important to you. That Acer and MSI are boring cosmetically in comparison! The m11x is a slow core 2 duo with the equivalent of a dx10 version of the 8600GT-8600GTS for performance specs. You'll more easily find benchmarks for the 8600GT than the 335M so you can use the 8600GT benchmarks to do some expanded comparisons. The MSI laptop would destory the m11x in most titles, but it's also nearly double the price! I use my i7 desktop for heavy duty gaming, but if I want to game on the run I really am digging my m11x. Oh and it's worthy of noting that the m11x is plenty snappy for day to day tasks - despite the slow core 2 duo (o/ced at 1.73Ghz)! That's comparing it to my i7-920 @ 4.0ghz with 12GB RAM, and a Vertext 2 SSD. The m11x doesn't dissapoint for most usages even when compared to my beasty desktop! I do think at 1.3Ghz stock clock the core 2 duo seems a wee bit sluggish on opening complex websites, but honestly something about that little factory option overclock to 1.73Ghz crosses my tolerance threshold and it seems 100% fine for me for general browsing and vid watching activities in overclocked mode!

Last edited:
Apples to oranges.

The m11x is a small netbook esque sized gaming platform. Those two you quoted get progressively bigger! Both of the alternatives you suggested would be better for gaming if you are looking only at the numbers. The m11x is a sexy beast, and very portable. Pick what's important to you. That Acer and MSI are boring cosmetically in comparison!

Yeah... not the same size:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/6799956-post1619.html

How is this for a question:
Would this be much better then a sony vaio vgn fz180e?
Seems like it...and I really don't mind going to a 11 inch..this would be perfect for light gaming and what i'd need to use it for while at college.
Vs lugging my vaio around, which still serves me well to this day.
(I am also looking at the r2..but if the r1 really isn't that much worse it saves about 100 bucks)

You think the Alienware is good, ...just wait a few months, it will shit on you...its just a matter of time...

But wait, the best part is soon to come..."The customer support!"

yay' ; \

I've had to call about both of my alienware machines, and the customer support, while obviously indian - has been better than expected (not perfect) but better than expected.

I'm glad I saw this thread. I picked one of these up tonight on the last day of the 20% coupon for $520 w/ free shipping. For the money I don't think I could have found a better a deal for what I got:

Intel C2D SU7300 @ (1.3GHz, 800 MHz, 3 MB)
4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz (2 DIMMs)
250 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
1 GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 335 M

All told I'm extremely happy with the deal I got as I've been looking for a capable laptop to supplement my desktop for awhile now.

^ Overclock it to 1.73GHz and you have the same laptop I got 8 months ago for $170 more :p

I just saw this item on ebay and look at the price this guy originally paid? - $2,200?!?!?!?

I bought 8GB of RAM for the m11x for $67 shipped from e-wiz and a seagate xt 500GB hybrid drive (SSD and 7,200RPM drive) for $100

I've got a faster machine than he did and mine only cost $600 new + $70 + 100 = $770.

Man it just didn't pay to be an early adopter on the m11x. His buy it now for about 1/3 of his original value in less than a year of ownership? Feel bad for the guy!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-ALIENWARE-...96844738?pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item27b85d44c2

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sounds like bullshit to me. The MX R1 debuted at $1,000 with base options. Can't imagine that a bigger HD and 4GB RAM had cost him $1,000+, even if it is Dell we're talking about.

Got my R2 yesterday. First impressions:

• Great design. Looks and feels like a baby m17x
  • Heavier than I expected
  • Surprisingly good game performance. Not surprisingly, games like LFD2 and MW2 play smooth at highest settings; very surprisingly Oblivion plays at highest settings with very littly hitching.
  • Best netbook keyboard I've ever used
  • Good battery performance. Was able to get about 2 hours of gaming.
  • Very easy to OC the CPU and GPU. I'm able to push the CPU to 166 BLCK and GPU to 625/800/1500, totally stable with marginal battery reduction
  • The screen is utterly, utterly awful. Having used about 8 different netbooks, I've never seen a screen as bad as this. Colors are washed out, contrast is all over the place and viewing angles are about 15 degrees. Super glossy and reflective cover. Discraceful.
All in all, it's a great little machine with the (literally) glaring exception of the screen. Not bad for under $700, but the screen is killing me (what was Dell thinking here?)

Last edited:
Don't think these are refurbs, but Dell trying to offload their old R1s. I bought one back in Nov 2010 for $500 and couldn't be happier with my purchase. It's small, has very good battery life, and can play every game available. Just have to remember to swap off the 335 and back to the Intel unit, when you're done with game (when on battery).

Don't think these are refurbs, but Dell trying to offload their old R1s. I bought one back in Nov 2010 for $500 and couldn't be happier with my purchase. It's small, has very good battery life, and can play every game available. Just have to remember to swap off the 335 and back to the Intel unit, when you're done with game (when on battery).

I concur with your hypothosis that Dell is unloading new m11xs - or, more likely, mostly new machines with a few re-used parts). My R2 came absolutely brand new-looking, even with that new plastic smell.

Definitely refurbished, they probably just replaced a few parts. Mine had scratches on the top and a small nick in the front. But the screen is like new, the keyboard is perfect, the metal pieces all had that new plastic peel off. Aside from those few exterior scratches the laptop is perfect.

Got my R2 yesterday. First impressions:
The screen is utterly, utterly awful. Having used about 8 different netbooks, I've never seen a screen as bad as this. Colors are washed out, contrast is all over the place and viewing angles are about 15 degrees. Super glossy and reflective cover. Discraceful.
All in all, it's a great little machine with the (literally) glaring exception of the screen. Not bad for under $700, but the screen is killing me (what was Dell thinking here?)

Adjust your contrast using the built in windows 7 display customization and you'll be a lot happier - I know I felt the same way you did, but after playing with some settings - it looks nice!

Still not a huge fan of the glossy screen though.

It's not great but it's far from awful, unless you're really hating on the glossy aspect. Looks "OK" to me.

I'll mess with the contrast just to see. There must be some variance between panels.

It's not great but it's far from awful, unless you're really hating on the glossy aspect. Looks "OK" to me.

I'll mess with the contrast just to see. There must be some variance between panels.

there are three different panels in these alienware m11x's according to notebookforums.
The AUO is the best according to most people, but none of the panels are stellar. I have the AUO105C in two of my m11x's and they look identical. To find out what panel you have. Go to device manager, click on monitors, click on generic pnp monitor, click on details, use the drop down to select hardware ids...

The most common panels are samsungs and AUO. Some people like the samsungs better. Most people say the AUO is the preferable panel.

Last edited:
AUO? serious!? I thought the SEC were the best (sammys).

AUO, IMO, has no decent panels short of their 1080p panels...

Anyone have any luck with updating video drivers? From what I gather you need Dell's in order to get the intel/discrete switching to work, correct?

Try NBR, they have later drivers working with the R1 switchable :)

Or go into your BIOS and disable the Intel IGP (kills the battery life, however) and you can install any nVidia drivers you want, lol.

AUO? serious!? I thought the SEC were the best (sammys).

AUO, IMO, has no decent panels short of their 1080p panels...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware/468451-alienware-m11x-lcd-panel.html
and
http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m11x/464852-m11x-screenid.html#post5975150

Jeremyshaw --- it's what i read in this thread...

Type in auo and m11x in google...Most seem to say the AUO is better overall -- even though still not great. It has twice the contrast ratio and better blacks --- supposedly, but if the AUO is better - the samsung must be plenty bad, cause the AUO is just mediocre at best IMO.

Last edited:
Back