Alienware M11x...Opinions?

You cant configure a Z without a SSD btw, its standard even on the lowest end.

You can but only in the european version so far and they have to lose the optical drive in order to get the option because there is not enough space otherwise. I want the DVD drive anyway because most all my games require you to have the dvd in the drive to play them and ever since switching to SSD on my desktop I couldn't go back to conventional HD so no worries here, not sure who would buy a laptop like this and not put an SSD in it anyways...

So what specific SSD model are they using? Does anyone know? PM me if necessary, even if it's to point me in the right direction (another message board where they might be discussing that or w/e), so as not to further derail any more M11x threads.

So can't take the battery out. :(

The battery is obviously only accessible if the laptop was taken apart. Anybody know what battery they used or if it's just a generic dell laptop battery?

I'd like to take one apart and replace the battery with a 12cell. :D Unfortunately the 12cell would probably extrude a little too much and I would have to mod the bottom of the laptop casing...

I have been looking at many reviews now and I have come to conclude that waiting out for an update to this platform would be in the best interest for me right now. If only Dell would have made this s 14" chasis that would be more streamline and with better CPU options. That 3mb cache is killing me. That's what, outdated by 3 years now? 14" is better suited for such a chipset. Does anyone know if Dell design these lappies with soldered CPU's in them? I'm guessing that with m!!x being as small as it is that it will most likely be soldered. Not to mention the Optimus option that they left out for this. I still am tempted though to get it. Patience is a virtue.BTW, I read in a thread about the M11x that the GMA 4500mHD can handle 720p, that is pure BULLSHIT!!! That is the only reason why I don't like the current lappy in my sig and that it has a SU2700.

Yea the cpu is soldered on. Hopefully a good revision at least before August ;)

I know everyone (me included) wants new cpu options, but if they do add new ones that might bring up the price to where we don't want it. I mean if the upgrades bring it to around 1100-1200$, just get a m15x.

Damn I just went to check the price out of a M15x and with the spec that I wanted it with, it came out to about $2500

No, I was calling you out on your BS blanket comment since I know there haven't been that many complaints since I'm actively posting and reviewing on the forum.

Besides homebrewer's dud CPU/Memory and screen that he refuses to take a picture of (it's likely he got a lemon anyways, since the odds of having all those things broken at once is unlikely) and BigTymer's leakage (a pic would help too... my screen has been perfect), there haven't been many complaints from the users

You sound like you've never bought a new first-release notebook... this same thing happens in notebooks, phones, cars, etc. Oh screen issues... like dead pixels, some get em, some don't. There will always be a few lemons. But hey, go on ahead and keep saying how many are

when that's simply not happening.

:rolleyes:

Took a gander through the last few pages of the thread again today:

I just want my fan noise to subside :( if my fan keep operating like an aircraft carrier, I'll have to seek alternative...

POS!!! quit workin already, was just video chatting with my girl on windows live messenger and it quit working. Now i've been oh hold with Dell for like an hour, thanks alot!!!!

it seems the speakers on the m11x sound much better when it is turned upside down =\

Just don't envy me...not even a day an the problems are starting, dead pixels, constantly running at all time fan...already spent 4 hours on a phone with the AW support.

Yep.

M11x just hungup in Portal. Total freeze. Had to hold the power button in. No OC, had dedicated graphics on.

Hmm.

Yesterday i recieved my m11x its awesome it run all games that i tried like modern warfare 2 crysis and some older games with eaz. :( only sending it back cause the fan noise is insainly loud :eek: compared to my other dell xps sli lappy that even on full load don't make this much fan noise. I contacted dell tech support and they adviced me to a refund and order a new one and hope that the new one don't have a loudy fan(Also get an extra 5 % disscount coupon). Even in idle mode or in he bios with no oc or using the nvidia gpu it makes real noticibale fan noise. Any of u have same problem ?

Okay so mine just came anybody elses fan always on ?

I can not speak for others, but my m11x even on power saver and on integrated graphics, the fan is continuously on without break, and the fan can be heard OVER my desktop which has a cooler master HAF 922 case + intel i7 920 + ATI 5870 video card. M11x is louver than the aforementioned desktop.

what the heck lol there is dust already inside the screen :O How did it even get in??? :confused:

STILL installing WoW fml... The screen isn't really that bad when you're using it tbh,no problems so far with the whole mirror-like finish rofl.

hi there, first post.

Recieved my m11x today and having issues playing 1080p films, they play fine but are using 100%cpu. I bought and installed coreavc to offload the processing to the gpu but ive had no luck so far. Has anyone managed to get this working.

Thanks Tony

Oh man, this screen gets annoying in class real fast. I can see reflections of nearly everyone behind me.

It's so freaking reflective.

So there are screens with specks in em, dead pixels galore and loud fans everywhere... Sounds like a circus to me :D Anyone getting BSODs?

see if you can work anything out from these .. anyway dell said that they should pick it up now 2morrow anytime from 9-6 thats a bit awkward :eek:

^ Bunch of pics of bluescreens

I'm not a huge fan of the screen so far. Its not really evenly lit, this seems CCFL backlit to me... Kind of dissapointed with the screen so far but its not bad.

I'd think twice about buying something like this from eBay - especially for warranty purposes.

^ So glad I canceled mine instead of trying to sell on EBAY! LOL

Anyway thats just from the pages toward the end of the thread...figured I was running out of room in the post for more so didn't go back any further yet.

Just got in my M11x yesterday. Haven't had too much time to do much with it other then verify its working and such. ATM downloading a few games off of steam but won't be able to properly play them till the weekend.

Took a gander through the last few pages of the thread again today:

^ So glad I canceled mine instead of trying to sell on EBAY! LOL

Anyway thats just from the pages toward the end of the thread...figured I was running out of room in the post for more so didn't go back any further yet.

Dude really? It happens, and it's been out for what 2-3 weeks. It's not going to be perfect right away. Just wait for a revision or go spend your $1900 Sony Z when m15x priced to $1900 would rock it.

SYSTEM COLOR - Alienware M15x, Cosmic Black
PROCESSOR - Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM - Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
WARRANTY AND SERVICE - 1 Year Basic Service Plan
VIDEO CARD - 1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260M
LCD PANEL - 15.6-inch WideHD+ 1600x900 (900p) WLED
MEMORY - 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1066MHz (4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz + $25)
HARD DRIVE - 500GB SATAII 7,200RPM
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE - Slot-Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+-RW, CD-RW)
BATTERY OPTIONS - Primary - 9-cell (85Watt) Lithium-Ion Battery
WIRELESS CARDS - Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini-Card
---------
$1924

Just sayin' :eek: No need to prove yourself, we know you don't like it. :D

Last edited:
Dude really? It happens, and it's been out for what 2-3 weeks. It's not going to be perfect right away. Just wait for a revision or go spend your $1900 Sony Z when m15x priced to $1900 would rock it.

Just sayin' :eek: No need to prove yourself, we know you don't like it. :D

I know right. Reading through this thread all Bluehaze seems to be doing is trying to justify his buying decisions by bashing the M11x. If you don't like it... don't buy it. Simple stuff.

Oh btw, the recent engadget review of the M11x had the Sony Z only about 600 3dMarks ahead of the M11x...even with the C2D 1.3. Doesn't seems that significant of a gap to me to justify a $1000 price difference.

I know right. Reading through this thread all Bluehaze seems to be doing is trying to justify his buying decisions by bashing the M11x. If you don't like it... don't buy it. Simple stuff.

Oh btw, the recent engadget review of the M11x had the Sony Z only about 600 3dMarks ahead of the M11x...even with the C2D 1.3. Doesn't seems that significant of a gap to me to justify a $1000 price difference.

No it's not that at all, I just don't like being called a liar :D

There's a difference between outright lying and trying to mis-represent something that you don't even own... Either way, get over it ffs. Why are you even still posting in the thread if you're not the 'least bit interested in the M11x anymore? :rolleyes: The notebookreview thread was already mentioned and referenced plenty of times.

There's a difference between outright lying and trying to mis-represent something that you don't even own... Either way, get over it ffs. Why are you even still posting in the thread if you're not the 'least bit interested in the M11x anymore? :rolleyes: The notebookreview thread was already mentioned and referenced plenty of times.

Sorry that you feel that way, I personally happened to be in the market for an ultraportable i.e. small package laptop so i got involved in some of these threads even initially ordering the m11x. It was only later I found out about Sony Z at which point I began to feel some buyers remorse over the m11x even though I hadn't yet recieved it. To some extent I guess it is validation, not for a Sony Z purchase though, I still have not ordered, wan't to wait and see what the MBP 13" refresh brings and if it's not known by the time the Sony Z hits retail I will buy the Z instead, but moreso just validation that I made the right choice by canceling. I had a really good deal on the m11x with all the stackable coupons I figured I could make a few bucks selling it on EBAY so really the validation is just that of deciding I made the right choice by cancelling the m11x order as opposed to keeping the order and trying to sell on EBAY. So I do have some vested interest in these threads, especially ones such as this titled "Alienware...m11x opinions" I do feel compelled to offer my opinion on the subject. My apologies if that bothers you.

i'm surprised you can even compare the sony z with the m11x considering the size difference, price difference, and target consumer difference

The m11x is a much more mainstream item than the Z. Who the hell wouldn't want a Z over an m11x? I know I would. But we're talking two totally different price points and if you had the money to buy a Z in the first place why you would have considered an m11x? The m11x just would not have been on my radar if I had the money to buy a Z.

i'm surprised you can even compare the sony z with the m11x considering the size difference, price difference, and target consumer difference

What they can't be compared because the screens are different? Price can get to be the same if you pimp the Alienware out(and it still won't kick the Z's ass). So I would like for you to explain to me who the targeted consumer is? I personally right now can get either if I wanted, but its more of a bang for the buck factor for most in the shitty fucking economy that were in. I don't think(even if companies use that old method of targeting specific people) that company's should use such a method anymore and go the way of the numerati thinking. Don't think that I'm for either side either cause the M11x or the Z really aren't that great, there "just break the ice".

The m11x is a much more mainstream item than the Z. Who the hell wouldn't want a Z over an m11x? I know I would. But we're talking two totally different price points and if you had the money to buy a Z in the first place why you would have considered an m11x? The m11x just would not have been on my radar if I had the money to buy a Z.

I would not suggest that Sony be considered a unique type pf computer. Its still crap and has windows, its just picked because that is what the average joe knows and what brings in the numbers. Now, I wouldn't want the Z cause its battery life is pathetic, 3 hours? But then again, you have the awesome processing power of an i7. So its give or take, chicken or lasagna. What companies need to focus on now is not how much juice they can pump into a small package, that been done. Now they need to focus battery technology and design them based on CPU's.

So fuck this "The M11x is this or that or Great" and " The Z is an option and/or is exclusive. They are just Breaking the Ice to what is to come, Which will be better offer more and ultimately make the user happy. Have some patience peeps. toodles

Greetings from Thailand,

Jayme

6 hours according to who?? And we're not mates fag, I'm a chick with a Boyfriend, thanks.

6 hours according to who?? And we're not mates fag, I'm a chick with a Boyfriend, thanks.

Sorry sweetheart, here you go:

"So for the million dollar question: how do these high-performance parts affect battery life? With the discrete graphics turned off, the 57Wh battery lasted for 4 hours and 25 minutes on our video rundown battery test with brightness to 65 percent. That translated to about six hours of usage when we used the laptop to surf the web and write this review in Microsoft Word 2007."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/11/sony-vaio-z-series-vpcz114gx-s-review/

Last edited:
"Used the laptop to surf the web and wrte this review in microsoft word 2007"= 6 hours.

But for the mobile gamer in mind, this platform provides 4 hours.

"Used the laptop to surf the web and wrte this review in microsoft word 2007"= 6 hours.

But for the mobile gamer in mind, this platform provides 4 hours.

And? The general idea behind this design is that you'll be running on power when gaming and that you'd want maximum battery life when out and about for less power hungry tasks like web surfing or document editing and reading.

It's a reasonable usage pattern and doesn't mean that you CAN'T game on battery, just that you need to understand that you're cutting battery life. 3 to 4 hours is a GOOD days worth of gaming for most people on a single charge with this thing and that ain't bad.

One nice thing about my tm2 is user replaceable batteries!

I'm a loyal Clevo laptop customer and sorry but I really think that buying an Alienware laptop is just a waste of money.

I think that jumping on the bandwagon so quickly is a waste of money. Patience is a virtue.

Back