Alien Swarm

^ That's part of the effort to reduce account phishing and other scams; if thieves have to pay to replace their disabled account, there's one more hurdle for them.

Damnit I just got the SDK and i'm not sure how big to make anything. Nor of the triggers for levels etc...

Amazing how Valve didn't catch this, if you record a demo then play it back you'll actually gain XP when you get to the end part, wish I knew about that before hitting lvl27...but then again I'd rather do it normally

There is actually something called Tilegen built in that allows you to make levels very simply.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Swarm_TileGen

I've only messed around with it for an hour or so, but it has potential.

I didn't think about the valve wiki! Thats going to save so much time! Compared to Left4Dead2 levels...
It does have potentional indeed, it's going to less time to do complex levels on that than it does for Littlebigplanet!

played it for like 10 mins and didn't like it. Feels really.... primative?? dont know how to explain it

I just noticed what game it reminds me of...Loaded...And in the editor the scale is 1/4th of L4D!

@ l0cke did you get the ;

LoadPortals: couldn't read g:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\sdk_content\mapsrc\alien.prt

error constantly?

Put in an hour and a half last night with two friends (ok, my only two friends). We had a total blast. This game gets better with more people.

About 4 years ago I stopped playing games online. I was to busy to keep up and couldnt be bothered to search for servers that were not polluted with immaturity. I tried games online now and then, MW2 for example, I played it online for a weekend I think, L4D lasted me 2 weeks.

But I fired up Alien Swarm last night and I had a blast. Very, very fun. I just wish they made it vs zombies.

Finished the Campaign with 3 other friends on Hard last night. Didn't have too much trouble, but those damn parasites are a pain - our medic kept either running out of packs, or no more ammo to the medic gun. Is there something around this? Other than killing the parasites first, it just seems like I'd die an awful lot.

Other than that, we found out the medic and tech actually have less health than the officer or heavy weapons (70pts vs. 140 or 100). Oh, and an officer leading with a shotgun is a great front line as he can mow down everything in front! Just bring extra ammo....

We then tried insane - that was crazy...it's a constant shoot + move. You really can't kill everything - you're just trying to move through the level as fast as possible.

Looking forward to the campaign's that will be created!

Played for about two hours last night on "hard" difficulty with my brother and two random pubbers. Had a blast!

I was getting bored with TF2 for the moment, and am glad something fun and FREE like this came out right now.

I love this game. Just reached level 27 a couple hours ago, got promoted [like cod prestige] and restarted my rank so I'm level 6 now. ^^ Can't wait for new content to come out [official and custom].

I already see some custom maps in the game list, not sure how good they are though. If anyone wants to play today add me on steam, I'm kefka1983.

But I fired up Alien Swarm last night and I had a blast. Very, very fun. I just wish they made it vs zombies.

I wished that as well at first, but I personally hate "special" zombies for some reason and I couldn't see this game working without them.

just getting into this game.. it first I was like ho-hum but after a bit of game time with it I am getting hooked... it's pretty damn fun.. runs great at 5760x1080 also.. some of the little in game menus are chopped tho, like when it suggests a key to use for to open a door.. the info is like chopped in half.. weird.

edit: here's a bug list and a patch is coming out today apparently.. might be out already.. who knows.

Last edited:
Finished the Campaign with 3 other friends on Hard last night. Didn't have too much trouble, but those damn parasites are a pain - our medic kept either running out of packs, or no more ammo to the medic gun. Is there something around this? Other than killing the parasites first, it just seems like I'd die an awful lot.
1) Shock armour
2) Take the medic with the higher infestation healing ability
3) Just remember where they all are, and bring a flamer :)

Actually, that brings up a point, the repetitiveness of the levels. I hope someone releases a random tile/spawn generator.

just getting into this game.. it first I was like ho-hum but after a bit of game time with it I am getting hooked... it's pretty damn fun.. runs great at 5760x1080 also.. some of the little in game menus are chopped tho, like when it suggests a key to use for to open a door.. the info is like chopped in half.. weird.

edit: here's a bug list and a patch is coming out today apparently.. might be out already.. who knows.

i just got an auto update.

Updates to Alien Swarm have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Alien Swarm
Fixed weapon switch key in the 360 controller config
XP and level are stored in the Steam Cloud
Fixed duplicate rows in the "Find Public Games" screen
Reduced screen shake when you have high ping
Fixed dedicated server always starting in LAN mode
Fixed custom item button binds not displaying properly on HUD
Fixed full network updates causing duplicate client ragdolls to spawn
Added console commands to change game access on the fly (make_game_public and make_game_friends_only)
Fixed welding icon sometimes getting stuck above player's head
Fixed HUD elements being cut off in ultra wide resolutions
Removed cheat flag from a number of cosmetic console commands
Now firing, meleeing, or reloading while welding will break you out of the weld
Fixed spectators earning achievements
Fixed infinite ammo exploit
Fixed XP exploit

1) Shock armour
2) Take the medic with the higher infestation healing ability
3) Just remember where they all are, and bring a flamer :)

If you haven't unlocked the flamer yet, an autogun works almost as well at killing the parasites.

It's also useful to grab two medics in levels with lots of parasites, so your overall composition looks like this: two medics, one tech, and one special weapons. Officers can be useful, but I don't know if I'd call them necessary for every level.

Just played this game for a little today, and I am having a blast. For free ... you really can't beat it.

I have only been playing Pubs, and I have only run into an asshat once so far.

About 4 years ago I stopped playing games online. I was to busy to keep up and couldnt be bothered to search for servers that were not polluted with immaturity. I tried games online now and then, MW2 for example, I played it online for a weekend I think, L4D lasted me 2 weeks.

Bah, I take it back. The game simply refuses to connect to servers anymore. Or when it doest when everyone clicks ready, it just drops back to the main screen. That was short lived.

I finally was able to connect to a game, after using the server browser. Upon entering the game, I was called a faggot and was told I would be team killed, lol. I played through to the end of the map, where they were all waiting and all fired at me simultaneously killing me and ending the game.

I finally was able to connect to a game, after using the server browser. Upon entering the game, I was called a faggot and was told I would be team killed, lol. I played through to the end of the map, where they were all waiting and all fired at me simultaneously killing me and ending the game.
wow... that's extreme.

so far i've had nothing but good experience with public servers. decent groups capable of team work (for the most part anyways). once i get paired up with some 1337-know-it-all-dude, who bitched every time somebody else picked up extra ammo.

anyway, who's up for a round tonight?

If it's anything like L4D, the server browser will let you in to any friends-only game. So you'll probably find yourself getting kicked or TK'd from time to time.

Just installed this game via Steam. When I launch it, all I get is "No Steam" or "Quit". Odd. Anyone else have this problem?

i made a group for those of you here who are interested in picking up new friends in this game, i tried checking the regular [H] group but there were too many people and it wasn't really particular to Alien Swarm, the url is

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/hardswarm/

hopefully we can get some serious games going, i just completed it on hard, gonna go for insane shortly.

^for those of you looking for [H] games, i made a group for it ;)

Joined that group under 'Pancaked'... only played the demo level last night, hope to play this game a bit more and see how it goes.

Back