Alder Lake CPU "warping disaster"?

I for one am glad this was posted in the News subforum, or I would have missed it.
Yeah, and I think OP's linked article is a new one anyway. Just wanted to link the other thread here for reference. No problem with discussion of the OP's article here.

Article said:
Thankfully, this issue doesn't affect CPU reliability, but it increases CPU temperatures by several degrees.

It supposedly slightly bows the IHS. "Warping the cpu" isn't exactly an accurate description of what happens.

If the IHS can be bent down without damaging the chip, then it must be using a fairly thick (about 1 mm) thermal pad under the IHS, not solder.

It sounds like the IHS needs to be thicker.

Last edited:
[quote="Article']Thankfully, this issue doesn't affect CPU reliability, but it increases CPU temperatures by several degrees.

It supposedly slightly bows the IHS. "Warping the cpu" isn't exactly an accurate description of what happens.

If the IHS can be bent down without damaging the chip, then it must be using a fairly thick (about 1 mm) thermal pad under the IHS, not solder.

It sounds like the IHS needs to be thicker.
[/QUOTE]
https://amp.hothardware.com/news/intel-core-i9-12900k-alder-lake-delidding-video

Basically yes, the new die is thinner and it does have a thin solder layer in there. The problem seems to be too low of a mounting pressure on the stock brackets.

1646224858973.png

My 12700k bowed the bottom of the board out pretty hard when everything was assembled. I was worried but it seems to be fine.

Buildzoid did a good video about this:

My 12700k bowed the bottom of the board out pretty hard when everything was assembled. I was worried but it seems to be fine.

Buildzoid did a good video about this:

Washer mods seem to be a thing for many computer components. (I modded my RX 5700 as well.)

Back