Alan wake to disapper from steam forever

The whole collection has been on sale for $2 numerous times. If you're a Steam user and don't have this game already... well, I don't even know what to say.

That said, I hate this trend in the digital age of making games disappear. Video game preservation is more important now than it ever was before.

For a moment there I thought it's disappearing from game libraries as well. You almost gave me a heart attack, because that would mean everything crashing down that I feared leading into the steam era. As in them being able to take away your games due to bullshit reasons or even without reason.

According to a tweet by Remedy Entertainment, Finnish creator of Alan Wake, its atmospheric horror game will be "removed from stores" (including Steam) on May 15 because of "expiring music licenses."

Lame.

So sick of seeing this sort of thing.

Crappy music licenses. One of my favourite shows, 'Hilarious House of Frightenstein' is rarely available (at least the Wolfman segments from it) due to expired music licenses.

Didn't this happen to one of the older GTAs? I thought there was a patch released that removed the offending music samples to keep it available.

Eh. Of all the content creators in a video game, music creators are more likely to be independent and be more aware of music licensing and rights of creators.

On the flipside, it does mean later re-releases of old games are not as easy in this age.

This game is absolutely fan-fucking-tastic. One of my better memories, gaming wise. I remember watching the Intel Quad Core presentation way back when, before they cancelled the PC version and focused only on Xbox360.

Crappy music licenses. One of my favourite shows, 'Hilarious House of Frightenstein' is rarely available (at least the Wolfman segments from it) due to expired music licenses.

Didn't this happen to one of the older GTAs? I thought there was a patch released that removed the offending music samples to keep it available.
San Andreas had expired music licenses, but instead of killing the game they just released a patch to remove the offending music from the game.

San Andreas had expired music licenses, but instead of killing the game they just released a patch to remove the offending music from the game.

hqdefault.jpg

I don't think it'll be gone forever...it's just a temporary vacation until they resolve the license issue...either way I have the game in my Steam library...still haven't played it yet though...need to get around to it soon

And they screwed over all current owners by doing that. Id prefer it be removed then patching out features/music of my games as licenses expire.

Huh, well that's lame. Yeah, they should definitely just patch it to remove & replace the music.

I actually just finished playing Alan Wake for my first time a couple days ago, and while I didn't really care for it (hated most of the action/combat sequences), I really wouldn't want to see it go away forever. Hey! Maybe when they go to patch out the music they can add a new game mode that makes the combat fun too. :p

The whole collection has been on sale for $2 numerous times. If you're a Steam user and don't have this game already... well, I don't even know what to say.

That said, I hate this trend in the digital age of making games disappear. Video game preservation is more important now than it ever was before.
In the same vein, physical copies only exist on shelves for as long as they remain on the shelf, so not entirely a digital exclusive thing.

On topic, is Alan wake on sale now? I am not too much of a fan of horror type genres, but if the collection isn't that expensive, I think I may grab it just in case.

That practice is even worse. I already paid for the game, music included. Removing them later is like they're pirating back their music from me. Just because their licenses to distribute the music expired shouldn't mean that the music must be removed from already sold copies of games.

In the same vein, physical copies only exist on shelves for as long as they remain on the shelf, so not entirely a digital exclusive thing.

On topic, is Alan wake on sale now? I am not too much of a fan of horror type genres, but if the collection isn't that expensive, I think I may grab it just in case.

Yes I think it's on sale. Plus Alan Wake has one of the best soundtracks for any game, original, and licensed music included.

That practice is even worse. I already paid for the game, music included. Removing them later is like they're pirating back their music from me. Just because their licenses to distribute the music expired shouldn't mean that the music must be removed from already sold copies of games.
Exactly, that's why I always try to get the GoG version of the game when possible. I hate that Steam auto updates the games and there is no way to stop it from doing it.

Get it - I thought it was a very well done game.

Got them on steam (totaled less than $3 for me), unfortunately I wasn't able to link it to GoG, so I bought it again on GoG, considering it's $4, so not a big deal.

Also got Dragon Age: Origins on GoG (already owned it on Origin), hopefully, even though I bought it at a sale price, this might help convince EA to put out more titles on GoG.

Lastly, also bought the Trails of the Sky trilogy on GoG. The discounted price for the lot is barely cheaper ($3 or something) than Steam's base price, decided to go with GoG.

Sorry for going off topic XD

I completely agree. But unfortunately due to Steam's file repository system any changes made to the game affects all users. There was no way for Rockstar to remove the music without affecting existing users. It was either that or remove the game from sale entirely like Remedy did here. I don't know if creating a new repository and removing the old one was considered or even viable.

I think I have that game in my library. If not, I'll add it. I definitely had at least one version of it. While the gameplay got stale, it had an excellent storyline and soundtrack. Stephen King crossed with Twin Peaks.
Plus, like Condemned, it did a fine job of scaring you with the possibility of something horrific more than the reality of it.

EDIT: Looks like I only had the Xbox version or maybe even the boxed one? Either way, $4 for the whole chabang is a no brainer.

Last edited:
The game will be removed from all stores this time tomorrow. It's only $3.99 for the entire franchise, so if you're on the fence just buy it.

I have the game but obviously haven't played much of it because I had no idea Nick Cave music was in it. I've had it since it was released on PC too.

Agreed, for the life of me I don't understand why some games just can't be found. Try finding No One Lives Forever. It was a great game and hard to get unless you want to buy the CD.

Definitely awesome news, and $3 is highway robbery. The game still holds up well, and the voice acting and atmosphere are amazing.

And they screwed over all current owners by doing that. Id prefer it be removed then patching out features/music of my games as licenses expire.

Or, you know, you could just install a mod that puts in back in. Not hard.

Also, it doesn't effect those that bought prior to the date. Vice City was patched to remove some tracks too. However, if you bought it prior to that date, you still have those files. Not that you cannot patch them in anyway.

Back