Alan Wake Remastered

Well, I’d get totally excited about this because I’d love to play it again…. But I’d rather buy a console to play it on than buy it from the Epic Store. :p

There, my obligatory jab at their store is complete. :D

Hmm, maybe I’ll get one of my kids a PS5 and play it on that…

When it hits around five bucks I'll get it. I have too many games in my backlog as it is so there's no way I can justify even $14 for a game with only a modest visual differentiation from the original.

Alan Wake Remastered has yet to recoup its marketing and development costs for Epic, resulting in no royalty payments being paid out 7 months after release.

This does surprise me quite a bit. I thought the Remaster was going to be popular. Unless Epic's initial costs were through the roof.

This does surprise me quite a bit. I thought the Remaster was going to be popular. Unless Epic's initial costs were through the roof.
The game wasn't marketed at all. I think that was largely its downfall on both console and PC.

I ended up buying it on sale just to support the effort, but it's not that impressive. It looks better than the older one if you see them side-by-side, but if you didn't know better you might not notice it's a remaster. I don't really recall much marketing, either. I forgot all about it until I saw a little thumbnail for it during a sale week.

I ended up buying it on sale just to support the effort, but it's not that impressive. It looks better than the older one if you see them side-by-side, but if you didn't know better you might not notice it's a remaster. I don't really recall much marketing, either. I forgot all about it until I saw a little thumbnail for it during a sale week.

Yeah it was a remaster that few cared for or wanted. Differences just weren't big enough. This was more in line of a free update than a paid version.

Compare that to the Mass Effect 1/2 Remaster (ME3 apparently didn't see much improvement), and there is a massive difference.

I'm attempting to play through this right now. Whatever they did with the shadows causes weird light effect corruption pretty often. It's almost like the game isn't sure how to show shadows that are just behind Alan, so it randomly shows this garbled black mess instead. I've tried a variety of graphical settings and nothing seems to prevent it, too. It's not constant, but it occurs once every minute or two, especially if you're panning around and there's a single light source.

Not sure how I am going to get through this game. The combat is so god damn repetitive. I put the game on easy just to focus on the story, but it's hard when every single encounter is exactly the same. If there was no combat I may have enjoyed this as a walking simulator focused on the story. I am half way through the main story so I am going to push through it, but I remember not finishing it originally for the same reason... the encounters were all the same.

Yeah, there are a couple of interesting mix-ups but not many types of enemies. And the fact that most of the fights are po-in ambushes doesn't help.

Back