Alan Wake Remastered

polonyc2

Fully [H]
Remedy Entertainment’s 2010 cult classic Alan Wake is getting a remastered version for multiple platforms...Epic Games’ publishing arm will release Alan Wake Remastered across PlayStation 4/5, Xbox Series S/X, and the Epic Games Store on PC

Epic says the remaster will feature “all-new rendered 4K visuals”, commentary from writer and creative director Sam Lake, and the expansions The Signal and The Writer...pulp horror-influenced spinoff Alan Wake’s American Nightmare doesn’t appear to be included...Epic says it’ll be available this Fall...

https://www.alanwake.info/2021/09/remaster.html

Last edited:
Cool, I like Remedy's games a lot but have not played Alan Wake. Will definitely be looking forward to this.

P.S unrelated but Silent Hill remakes when? ....

since this is going to be an Epic Store exclusive there's not going to be any free upgrade or even a discount for current owners...this needs to be priced around $19.99- $24.99

I would've been interested but I already replayed it once. Not sure I'm up for a 3rd play through. Had I known, I would've replayed something else.

Ah just the reason I need to play this game. I got about halfway through the original when it released, got distracted by other games, and never bothered to go back and finish.

No loss not including American Nightmare. It was pretty lame.

Rewriting history– Alan Wake Remastered

Our hero’s character model has been completely re-done

Many of the original developers of Alan Wake were involved in the creation of this remaster...above all, we wanted to preserve the identity and unique visual style of Alan Wake, while still elevating the graphics to meet modern players’ expectations...almost everything in the original game has been retouched: a ton of individual items, from environment scenes to individual props, textures, sound effect files, and the art for the UI

as it’s a hugely important part of creating the unnerving atmosphere of the game, there was a dedicated team working hard to ensure the trees and foliage would look as good as possible...

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/0...ered-brings-the-writers-story-to-ps4-and-ps5/

I'm going to wait for some reviews of this one. They don't show a lot of gameplay in the trailer and most what they do show still looks like an older game. I own the original PC game in multiple stores (+ on the Xbox) so even $30 seems a hair steep. Maybe if it's on sale or reviews paint a picture of a major upgrade.

I didn't play the original until last year, this is more of an upgrade than you remember the clips are not great but I see much better texture and what looks to be higher poly. But I certainly could be wrong. Either way, Alan Wake is a great game with a few mistakes but worth playing for story and some great tension and light horror vibes.

I certainly didn't see any new differences in the trailer. Looked like the old game to me.
The lighting and environments looked better to me, but the character models and textures looked largely the same.

I never heard about the eyepatch, that's funny as hell. Much nicer than Serious Sam.

Alan Wake Remastered will not support Ray Tracing or HDR, but will support DLSS

https://www.alanwake.com/story/faq/

what's the point of DLSS with no ray-tracing?...the game is 11 years old and I doubt anyone with a GPU from the last several years will not be able to run this maxed out even at 4K

Last edited:
And if most textures still look old by what people said of the trailer, that's kind of crappy effort and practice. Feels like a cash grab and nothing else.

Can't come up with new ideas for games? Remaster an older successful game for the $$$ =/ sigh

Earlier this month, Alan Wake Remastered was announced, and reaction to the game’s makeover has been somewhat mixed...some have accused the Remaster of not looking much better than the original...to counter these claims Remedy has released a new Alan Wake Remastered comparison trailer, showing just how much better the game looks running on Xbox Series X...

Well it is certainly not that much better that would warrant re-playing the game if you already played it. Especially not paying for it.

Alan Wake is one of those games I've always been infatuated with. There's just something about it. I'll buy this, but not at $30.

I think it's one of those cases where most people probably remember the old version looking better than it does. Happens a lot with titles from that era because they looked great at the time. Especially the PC version, which looks a bit better than the Xbox comparison they're showing in the video. You might not notice the upgrades as much as a result. It's easy to see them side-by-side, but otherwise you might not. With so little coming out at the moment, I'll probably hunt around on the discount sites (or see if I can dig up a coupon) that knocks it down to $20. I liked the game enough to revisit it. I recall the gameplay getting pretty tired, but the story was enough to carry it.

I've had Alan Wake in my Steam backlog for years but never got around to playing it, so for me the Remastered version is the definitive one to play...although not for $29.99...I'll wait for the Epic Store Holiday sale

The remastered looks like the ten year old PC version running at 4K with AA on.
I'm sure if you don't have the PC version that this is welcome. The video is comparing to the Xbox 360 version, which ran at 720p, so the increased resolution alone is going to make the game look a whole lot better.

Reactions: M76
like this
I think many of you are missing the main point of this remaster which is to drum up attention since they are working on Alan Wake 2 according to rumors. And I think it's beyond silly to say it looks like just a 10-year-old game running at 4K as there are a lot more improvements than just the resolution. That said for 30 bucks no it's not a big enough graphical leap to really matter much if you played the original on PC and like most people I will wait till it's on sale. This game is mainly for people that never played the original or that only played it on the Xbox 360 where it looks like complete garbage today.

Remedy Entertainment has provided a list of minimum and recommended specs

Minimum specs

CPU: i5-3340 or Ryzen 3 1200
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 or AMD RX470. 4GB VRAM.
RAM: 8 GB or higher

Recommended specs

CPU: i7-3770 or Ryzen 5 1400
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 or AMD 5600XT. 6GB VRAM
RAM: 16 GB

Graphical Settings

Ambient occlusion – Yes – (HBAO+ Nvidia Ambient occlusion tech)
Resolution – Enumerated resolutions
V-Sync – On/Off
Console v-sync set to on and with no option to turn off
HUD – Enabled/Disabled
Brightness
Motion Blur – Enabled/Disabled
Film Grain – Enabled/Disabled
FOV – Slider

Advanced Options

Graphics Quality – Low/Medium/High/Custom
Render Scale – Slider – default to 100%
Anisotropic Filtering – Off, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x
Shadow Quality – Low, Medium, High
Volumetric Light Quality – Low, Medium, High
Terrain Quality – Low, High
Draw Distance – Slider

Earlier this month, Alan Wake Remastered was announced, and reaction to the game’s makeover has been somewhat mixed...some have accused the Remaster of not looking much better than the original...to counter these claims Remedy has released a new Alan Wake Remastered comparison trailer, showing just how much better the game looks running on Xbox Series X...

Using the 360 version make the difference look much bigger than it was for a PC gamer I think (2010 until xbox one-ps4 was a time of big difference has the 2005 console was getting really old by then)

The same video with the original playing in 4K on PC has a comparison would maybe support the idea that the difference is not large enough for a replay.

For someone that skipped the game, well it is obviously just a big plus to have the option between the 2 title if we do not consider the opportunity cost of putting the effort on something else.

Last edited:
I think the PC version of this should have been priced at $19.99 since the PC version was already leaps and bounds ahead of the 360 version visually and the remastered game is really little more than a visual upgrade. And I thought I read earlier that it was going to use the Control engine but what I read yesterday said it was using the same base engine as the original game.

I think the PC version of this should have been priced at $19.99 since the PC version was already leaps and bounds ahead of the 360 version visually and the remastered game is really little more than a visual upgrade. And I thought I read earlier that it was going to use the Control engine but what I read yesterday said it was using the same base engine as the original game.
oh man, using the Control engine would have been awesome!

Looks like the cutscenes are still running at 30 FPS for some reason.

Love it, definitely buying it in the near future. I played most of Control but the "pieces missing" & vague story story, and backtracking killed it for me. Its gunplay and setting were good but wasnt enough to carry it for me especially after you realize the repetitive nature of the scenery and assets.

Looks like Alan Wake does those things better but a bit more boring in the gunplay department. I'm very interested in its story and characters from the ACG review

Well, I caved and pre-ordered for the PS4 this past Friday. The game auto pre-loaded Sunday and will unlock sometime after midnight tonight.

Looks like Alan Wake does those things better but a bit more boring in the gunplay department. I'm very interested in its story and characters from the ACG review

if you've never played it before then the Remastered Edition sounds like a good buy...sometimes these Remastered Editions on PC end up breaking something else (like the Bioshock remaster) but this sounds pretty solid...it's getting pretty good reviews (8 range)

Back