AirTags

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
Can a single Airtag be tracked by multiple users?

I put it on my truck keys, a vehicle that isn’t driven regularly. Only for long trips and truck stuff. Would be great if wife and I could track the keys individually.

Or if I hook it onto the dog’s collar.

No.

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-do-apples-airtags-work-your-questions-answered

Who can track my AirTag?​

According to Apple, only you will be able to track where your AirTag is through the Find My app. Even though the AirTag emits a signal, Apple promises it is end-to-end encrypted, meaning that no one else will know where the signal is coming from, where it’s going to and you won’t know which Apple device owner detected the AirTag either.

Can multiple people track the same AirTag?​

No, so you unfortunately won’t be able to share them in a household. Additionally, once paired with an Apple ID, the AirTag can’t be unpaired except by the owner. However, that will mean that AirTags can’t be easily stolen and re-paired by another user.

Thanks. I was hoping there was a home setting or something similar.

Reactions: Liver
like this

Can multiple people track the same AirTag?​

No, so you unfortunately won’t be able to share them in a household. Additionally, once paired with an Apple ID, the AirTag can’t be unpaired except by the owner. However, that will mean that AirTags can’t be easily stolen and re-paired by another user.

It's incredibly stupid that you can use Find My to figure out where your family members phones, iPads, laptops and airpods are but you can't track their AirTags.

like this
It's incredibly stupid that you can use Find My to figure out where your family members phones, iPads, laptops and airpods are but you can't track their AirTags.
I assume it will be added at some point as their competitors like Tile have this functionality.

However, like all tech, never buy anything now for the promise of future performance. If Airtags don’t fit the bill, definitely don’t get them with the hope that this ‘issue’ will get fixed.

Agreed, hopefully they will add that ability at some point down the road, but it seems like something that should have been available from day 1. Especially given the length of time they appear to have been working on them.

like this
Damn, was hoping to put one in my dad’s car to keep tabs on him (he’s a senior) but if it makes any noise he’s likely to hear it.

the air tag requires some kind of Apple signal to locate. iPhone, iPad or whatever. It could be someone else’s Apple signal device.

meaning, it will be easier just to take his phone an allow tracking on his phone.

if he’s driving and there isn’t an apple device near by, no tracking.

Back