Air bubbles at pump

Bigbacon

Fully [H]
Trying to figure this out. For the last few months my loop keeps making a lot of noise at the pump. Sounds like air getting trapped or something for a bit and then it goes away and then comes back, over and over.

Been running the same layout in the case since 2009 but have changed out hardware and blocks over time. I thought maybe the pump being 11 years old, that it was having issues, so I replaced the pump. I also replaced one section of tube right at the pump because it had collapsed on itself (yes I'm still on soft tubing). I bled the air out in the kitchen, let it run on the counter for a while and it didn't make the noise at all. Ok cool, setup the computer and turn it back on and let it do its things and the sound is back.

Again its like water or air getting trapped in the pump or something and it eventually works its way out. Seems that no matter what I try in terms of getting the air out it comes back?? I don't get it. I don't see air bubbles moving through the tubing, I've left the fill open to let air escape. After 11 years of never having issues I am not sure what to do.

it is really annoying but it does not seem to effecting cooling.

Any ideas what to try?

what pump did you switch to, ddc/d5? I was helping another forum member last week and he was having issues like that and his ddc(i think) pump was running full tilt causing cavitation. could try lowering your pump speed a bit.

what pump did you switch to, ddc/d5? I was helping another forum member last week and he was having issues like that and his ddc(i think) pump was running full tilt causing cavitation. could try lowering your pump speed a bit.

my first pump was an old DB1 from I have no clue the manufacturer. I replaced it with pretty much the same pump.

Also what does your loop consist of and how do you have your rads set up in your case?

3 faan rad, setup at the top of the case, res, CPU and GPU. Pump is at he bottom of the case. so flow is res->cpu->gpu->pump->rad->res

the setup hasn't changed in 11 or 12 years and this just started like 2 months ago or whatever I said above.

my first pump was an old DB1 from I have no clue the manufacturer. I replaced it with pretty much the same pump.
"pretty much the same" is not the same though. try slowing it down a little and see if it goes smoother.

"pretty much the same" is not the same though. try slowing it down a little and see if it goes smoother.

Im fairly sure this pump has no ability to be adjustible.

Both pumps have the same specs as far as i can tellnother than age.

Whats probably happening is an air pocket is gathering in your rad. Its building up and releasing occasionally(the noise). Its not getting caught by your res but is getting sucked back into the other tube if your res is like most where the inlet and outlet are right next to each other. Rinsing and repeating. If your res has a top inlet or g1/4 fill port try switching to that(as inlet) until that noise stops. Or you notice a drop in your fluid.
If that doesnt work try hooking up a rheostat type fan controller to your pump and run it at say half speed for a few hrs. Youll have to listen to it to adjust it. Again look for the fluid to drop.

If your tubing run still collapses at full speed try using a brand new piece. Or wrap it with zip ties every inch or so, less if needed. Nice and tight. Itll act like the metal and plastic springs we used to use for tight bends to keep thin walled soft tubing from folding.
What res are you using?

Back