AIOs - you're mounting them wrong

I was a big fan of R3/R4 until my first 1080ti.
It took forever for them to offset the top fan holes to allow 280 tank clearance.
I did email them about it, but I believe moduvent was more of a priority.

I only ever used the front 3.5 cages for my 1st VMware lab box.
I'd probably run at least 5 years btw R3 on launch and end of R5 with it gutted like an S2.

I ended up using either an Evga 1080ti FTw3 hybrid or my own kraken setup to force my gpu under 70c.

Define C I'm on right now was just something my gf bought me for an anniversary.

I've had ample opportunity to pickup a steal on many better cases off CL, just waiting to see how Ampere changes up requirements.

I have onwed only two AIO liquid coolers ever in my life. One 280mm rad that's been retired along with my Haswell CPU platform after running faithfully for nearly five years (the rad was always at the top of the case, mounted horizontally - but because the components of the motherboard were too close to the top of the case, I had to mount the rad with fans on the outside of the case). The other, a thicker 120mm rad with two 120mm fans, is currently sitting inside my SFF Kaby Lake box. For much of the time it was running with the tube outlets up on top (but since the motherboard is at the floor of the case, the pump/block is at the lowest point of the loop). I have recently rebuilt that system after replacing its WiFi card, and the rad is currently mounted horizontally at the top of the case.

And its to also justify the cost of their threadripper editing station lol.

I have enough buddies in LA doing music vids and fashion shoots that barely cover an APU build.

If your invoices can be accelerated with an HEDT build go make that $ now while things are still moving.

I'm not surprised he had problems with people getting things wrong with the first video. He really needs to do a better job scripting. Not every word needs to be scripted but at least some scripting would allow him to be more concise which I think would lead to less confusion. These are the first two videos of his I've ever watched (mostly due to boredom) and I don't expect I'll ever watch any others. His inability to be concise which causes him to repeat himself over and over is tedious and adds a lot of length and word count which isn't necessary. Plus he needs to hit up a "speaking" class to teach him how to pronounce more clearly. He tends to mush a lot of words causing possible misunderstandings.

The original point of the video boils down to "air rises". Having the block/pump as the highest point in the loop is bad because air will be trapped there which degrades the performance of the loop and will eventually cause damage. Additionally, you want the barbs to be at the lowest point of the loop whenever possible to minimize the air bubbles travelling through the loop. Barbs at the bottom of the loop and the top of the radiator above the block/pump is the ideal solution to allow for the best flow and for air to most likely be trapped at the top of the radiator where it will cause the fewest issues.
Valid criticism, but they didn't make this video without reason. I watch his channel to fill time sometimes, and I remember him discussing orientation in earlier AIO reviews and the like. This video seems like an in-depth explanation to people asking why certain orientations were bad or good. Instead of addressing those questions individually, he can point people to this video from now on, and it caters to even the most logically-challenged of people (AKA, the type of people who need to ask why air rises in water). If it seems it's to the point of being patronizing, I think that's intentional... His other option would be to just stop interacting with his viewers, which most would view as a bad thing.

One thing I like about his channel is he will hold manufacturers to task even with the result of being blacklisted from getting review-samples. He just ends up buying their products for review for whatever period of time he's on their naughty list. While the videos do tend to go a little too far in-depth, they are legitimate reviews with fully explained reasoning, numbers, and comparisons. At his YT sub size, he could probably just do a couple "Let's Build Another PC using Ordinary Parts I Get For Free" videos every week like so many others do that focus on consumer grade equipment, but he seems to avoid topics everyone else is doing. His content is less annoying than most IMHO.

I have enough buddies in LA doing music vids and fashion shoots that barely cover an APU build.

If your invoices can be accelerated with an HEDT build go make that $ now while things are still moving.
Well, there's a big difference between Los Angeles and Raleigh, NC cost of living.

Last edited:
Valid criticism, but they didn't make this video without reason. I watch his channel to fill time sometimes, and I remember him discussing orientation in earlier AIO reviews and the like. This video seems like an in-depth explanation to people asking why certain orientations were bad or good. Instead of addressing those questions individually, he can point people to this video from now on, and it caters to even the most logically-challenged of people (AKA, the type of people who need to ask why air rises in water). If it seems it's to the point of being patronizing, I think that's intentional... His other option would be to just stop interacting with his viewers, which most would view as a bad thing.

One thing I like about his channel is he will hold manufacturers to task even with the result of being blacklisted from getting review-samples. He just ends up buying their products for review for whatever period of time he's on their naughty list. While the videos do tend to go a little too far in-depth, they are legitimate reviews with fully explained reasoning, numbers, and comparisons. At his YT sub size, he could probably just do a couple "Let's Build Another PC using Ordinary Parts I Get For Free" videos every week like so many others do that focus on consumer grade equipment, but he seems to avoid topics everyone else is doing. His content is less annoying than most IMHO.

Well, there's a big difference between Los Angeles and Raleigh, NC cost of living.

My problem isn't with the subject matter. The problem is with the presentation. In this specific case the presentation was so bad that he had to do a follow up video to explain the first video more concisely because people took what he said and made incorrect conclusions. If he had been more concise in the original video this wouldn't have been a problem.

A simple example would be a written review of cooler X. Instead of stating specific temperatures cooler X operated at and a chart of temperatures of other coolers under the same conditions the review would only say cooler X performed better than cooler Y and cooler Z but not as good as cooler A. If you have cooler A you know that cooler X is not going to be of any use. If you have cooler Y or Z cooler X would be better but you don't know by how much or if it would be worth replacing either with cooler X. A concise review would state cooler X is 50C, cooler Y is 60C, cooler Z is 51C and cooler A is 49C. The concise review leaves nothing to question or misunderstand. The non-concise review leaves a lot of questions and room for misunderstanding while stating the same results.

Pretty much unavoidable with many cases.
pendragon1 clearly case makers missed this memo for all those cases they give you the location on the bottom to mount the radiator :D

This is the problem, especially in SFF cases. The "suggested" mounting position for the radiator is the bottom. No bueno. Just have to use an air cooler I guess unless I want to build a custom loop (which I don't).

This is the problem, especially in SFF cases. The "suggested" mounting position for the radiator is the bottom. No bueno.

I saw someone flip a Ghost S1 upside-down to place the rad on 'top' combined with a tophat (since there's some extra space below the PSU in the regular orientation), which was interesting.

My problem isn't with the subject matter. The problem is with the presentation. In this specific case the presentation was so bad that he had to do a follow up video to explain the first video more concisely because people took what he said and made incorrect conclusions. If he had been more concise in the original video this wouldn't have been a problem.

A simple example would be a written review of cooler X. Instead of stating specific temperatures cooler X operated at and a chart of temperatures of other coolers under the same conditions the review would only say cooler X performed better than cooler Y and cooler Z but not as good as cooler A. If you have cooler A you know that cooler X is not going to be of any use. If you have cooler Y or Z cooler X would be better but you don't know by how much or if it would be worth replacing either with cooler X. A concise review would state cooler X is 50C, cooler Y is 60C, cooler Z is 51C and cooler A is 49C. The concise review leaves nothing to question or misunderstand. The non-concise review leaves a lot of questions and room for misunderstanding while stating the same results.
Sure, but this wasn't really a review, more so an explanation video with examples. Like I stated at the very start of my post, you had a valid criticism of the video, but I tried to fill it in with context of why the video was made. While I kept the video on a few days back as white noise while doing something else (what I tend to do with most YT videos) I knew this video wasn't intended for me, and appropriately ignored most of it. The same went for the follow-up video, which could probably take the place of the first video.

It wasn't that long ago that this guy moved production out of a spare room in his house, and he keeps a relatively small production staff. Maybe if he had Verge money with Capital One as a sponsor, he could afford better script writers... I'm sure most of us have seen how well that turns out. Instead, this guy seems to make most of his money selling products that go a bit further than just slapping a logo on a shirt, and doesn't accept sponsor paid coverage at trade shows, which almost every YT "reviewer" does. For that, I'll forgive the lack of a properly scripted video that wasn't intended for me in the first place.

It's funny you mention cooler reviews though (which again, this wasn't). He has probably the only methodology I trust with cooler reviews, as most reviews leave out or just ignore fundamental variables. Your analogy of a "good" review is a perfect example; not mentioning noise normalization, ambient temperatures, different test configurations (because coolers often don't scale), cold-plate flatness, fan speeds, size, ease of installation, price, etc... You just want "This cooler ran less warm than other coolers" and that's it. seems like an incomplete review to me, but to each his own.

Again, in case you only read parts of a post replying to you, That was a valid criticism, but I provided context since you said you didn't watch his channel. Oddly enough, one of those valid criticisms you made was that he repeated himself, yet here I am doing just that in case you only paid attention to some parts of my post, which you seem to do... So here we are.

On a side note, they do some really cool "How it's Made" type videos during factory tours of PC components, instead of the ordinary "I'm here at Cooler Master's factory, so here's their sales pitch bullet-points while watching some wide-angle B-roll of random unexplained factory lines"

Sure, but this wasn't really a review, more so an explanation video with examples. Like I stated at the very start of my post, you had a valid criticism of the video, but I tried to fill it in with context of why the video was made. While I kept the video on a few days back as white noise while doing something else (what I tend to do with most YT videos) I knew this video wasn't intended for me, and appropriately ignored most of it. The same went for the follow-up video, which could probably take the place of the first video.

It wasn't that long ago that this guy moved production out of a spare room in his house, and he keeps a relatively small production staff. Maybe if he had Verge money with Capital One as a sponsor, he could afford better script writers... I'm sure most of us have seen how well that turns out. Instead, this guy seems to make most of his money selling products that go a bit further than just slapping a logo on a shirt, and doesn't accept sponsor paid coverage at trade shows, which almost every YT "reviewer" does. For that, I'll forgive the lack of a properly scripted video that wasn't intended for me in the first place.

It's funny you mention cooler reviews though (which again, this wasn't). He has probably the only methodology I trust with cooler reviews, as most reviews leave out or just ignore fundamental variables. Your analogy of a "good" review is a perfect example; not mentioning noise normalization, ambient temperatures, different test configurations (because coolers often don't scale), cold-plate flatness, fan speeds, size, ease of installation, price, etc... You just want "This cooler ran less warm than other coolers" and that's it. seems like an incomplete review to me, but to each his own.

Again, in case you only read parts of a post replying to you, That was a valid criticism, but I provided context since you said you didn't watch his channel. Oddly enough, one of those valid criticisms you made was that he repeated himself, yet here I am doing just that in case you only paid attention to some parts of my post, which you seem to do... So here we are.

On a side note, they do some really cool "How it's Made" type videos during factory tours of PC components, instead of the ordinary "I'm here at Cooler Master's factory, so here's their sales pitch bullet-points while watching some wide-angle B-roll of random unexplained factory lines"

You completely missed the point I was making. It's not about the data in the video but how the data was presented. The way he presented the data in the first video was neither clear nor concise. The basic point of the video was that air rises and because of that you need to have at least part of the radiator above the block/pump to have optimal conditions for performance and longevity. He didn't come out and say that. Instead he said radiator at the top of the case is good. Radiator at the front of the case is good but sometimes bad and radiator at the bottom of the case is bad.

You don't need professional script writers to be able to get that point across. I'm the perfect example of that. I'm not a professional script writer nor do I have professional script writers working for me and yet I was able to clearly, concisely and easily explain why certain mounting locations are sub-optimal. The data he presented in the video wasn't wrong, he simply didn't present and explain the data in a clear and concise way.

You completely missed the point I was making. It's not about the data in the video but how the data was presented. The way he presented the data in the first video was neither clear nor concise. The basic point of the video was that air rises and because of that you need to have at least part of the radiator above the block/pump to have optimal conditions for performance and longevity. He didn't come out and say that. Instead he said radiator at the top of the case is good. Radiator at the front of the case is good but sometimes bad and radiator at the bottom of the case is bad.

You don't need professional script writers to be able to get that point across. I'm the perfect example of that. I'm not a professional script writer nor do I have professional script writers working for me and yet I was able to clearly, concisely and easily explain why certain mounting locations are sub-optimal. The data he presented in the video wasn't wrong, he simply didn't present and explain the data in a clear and concise way.
I had mentioned in my first reply that he addressed the orientation issue in previous videos. Again, I'm not disagreeing with it being WAAAAYYY more drawn out than it needed to be, and he likely took it to the extreme of muddling the main points of the video. I thought the second video was more of a walk-back than further explanation, but it did both. The second video (which could replace the first IMHO) seemed like it was mainly to reassure people that a tubes-up orientation wasn't going to destroy their system. He likely took the first video too far because he was tired of explaining it in comments and many past AIO videos, the second video was to walk it back a bit. A dedicated script writer might have said "this is a mess and might need a different approach" ... Instead, it was this thing written mainly out of frustration of having to explain repeatedly that air rises in water. I would say the channel's in a weird place, small enough to still make obvious mistakes, big enough that it gets noticed.

Last edited:

What he said.

Back