AIO Cooling underperforming

Guarana [BAWLS]

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got a 6700k (Still stock, after BIOS flash and complete gutting/cleaning/rebuild) sitting under a Corsair H1156i 280mm Cooler.

Arctic P14 PWM fans on them. (Good SP fans)

If I stress test the CPU, I can thermal throttle it, at stock speeds. Which is obviously not what a 280mm AIO should do.

Block is screwed down tight, I put on fresh paste before rebuilding. I even put washers on the backplate, due to the looseness of it.

I know it's making decent contact, because at Idle, it's at most 1-2C over Ambient. (Granted Ambient is about 31C right now, but still. I shouldn't be hitting 100C at stock.)

Any thoughts?

1592668892966.png

1-2C over ambient at idle does not necessarily indicate good contact. unfortunately, I about guarantee it's a contact issue. i just got done re-building/cleaning/updating my rig. i had a similar situation with my corsair h105 on my gpu. idle and even light benches were pretty good (like user bench that only briefly stresses the gpu). then when i got into gaming with my friends last night, temps spiked about 10C higher than they had previously. even though they were pretty good, i pulled it all apart, re-applied paste, re-seated - all is well again. almost always a contact issue with AIO, and always irritating as hell.

^^ that or air in the pump
if there's air, I can't do much about it in a corsair. womp womp.

1-2C over ambient at idle does not necessarily indicate good contact. unfortunately, I about guarantee it's a contact issue. i just got done re-building/cleaning/updating my rig. i had a similar situation with my corsair h105 on my gpu. idle and even light benches were pretty good (like user bench that only briefly stresses the gpu). then when i got into gaming with my friends last night, temps spiked about 10C higher than they had previously. even though they were pretty good, i pulled it all apart, re-applied paste, re-seated - all is well again. almost always a contact issue with AIO, and always irritating as hell.
Well, I can always remove and reapply. Time to try again.

wadec22 pendragon1
Looks like you were right.

Removed the almost 2 dozen screws and nuts needed to get the block off. (I love this Phanteks Case, but OMFG does it have a lot of screws)
Paste contact looked really good when I removed it. Cleaned and reinstalled.
Got it down to around 80C. I suppose that's all I can ask, in a room that's over 30C right now, lol. (Yeah, custom curve, so at 70c the corsair goes to 100%)

I flipped my h115i so the tubes were at the bottom instead of on top.

I've also let the Mobo control my fan curve and left the pump 100%

Hit days I have to pull off the front of a define C bc it impacts airflow and any cooler ramps just a bit higher.

Also it is better to have AIO on the intake if possible. GPU's run hot and make the air inside the case really warm during gaming and that has a very negative effect on CPU temperatures. Other way around CPU has much smaller effect on the GPU temperatures.

That's a natural caveat of using an AIO. You get ok CPU performance, but the rest of your system takes a hit. Just because of the airflow alone. I still took a hit using 120x38s which had all the SP and AF. 30c ambient, 80 load? Its up there.. but its probably closer to 40c in your case..

What ^ said.

I used to run cpu aio as intake before launch of the 1080ti.
I hadn't been so utterly aware of heat = gpu throttling since I ran a pair of 6800ultras after my 1dt 1080ti hybrid was showing signs that it really didn't like consuming heated cpu aio exhaust air.

Granted when I was aio cooling 1080ti's I'd run a chimney where the gpu aio was in taking from rear, and cpu aio was in taking from the front. Top was used as an exhaust and I'd have to clean the bottom filter to keep air moving from the bottom of my case.

Right now I'm just idling with an all air cooled 9700kf @ 5ghz running adaptive voltage btw 1.2v-1.35v with a 300mhz AVX offset and a placeholder 2060ko. Ampere may incur a case upgrade if it pans out.

Back