AIM wasting CPU cycles? ARGHH

Bona Fide

2[H]4U
I didn't know where to put this...so I put in in GH :)

So as of today, AIM has been taking up CPU cycles like a mofo. It fluctuates between 40-60% of CPU at a given time.

Not to mention it's taking up 35-40MB of RAM at a given time. Firefox is too, but that's another story.

Has anyone had this problem? Or do I have to go to AOL's support center? :(

Stop using AIM and get gaim. Seems to be at an almost constant 0% with rare jumps to 3% minimized and memory usage at 8.5mb. Using AIM and MSN protocols at the moment.

But your frightfully high numbers do indicate something more than just normal bloatware. Perhaps some malware has shoved itself into aim? Try uninstalling the program completely, and then reinstalling.

I've wiped it completely, even from the registry. And then reinstalled. No avail. I'm going to run a spyware check, but I don't expect it to turn up positive. Who knows?

And what's GAIM? I've used Trillian before, but I didn't like that much. Is it better than Trillian?

// Side note: AIM used to take up only 5-10% at max. Idk where this suddenly came from.

Something is very seriously wrong.... unless you are using AIM Triton.

AIM for me takes no measurable CPU (it never hits 1% in task manager), and memory never tops 8MB

Triton is a bloated peice of crap, it takes like 10 times the memory of normal AIM, and eats CPU.

Back