Ahhh, the silkyness...Picked up two sweet CRTs!!

oh and Vega, I don;t deny the benefits of LCD, I posted about them a few times in this thread alone. I wish I could afford the samsung monitors and I almost bit on one of the 23" ones but the prices jumped up the following week, and I went broke lmao. I was actually looking at it to play with 3D also but I hated the idea of having to disable crossfire to do this. But I kept seeing a post by someone named Alex on the TriDef forums stating he was using the edimensional glasses and it worked with crossfire.... so I figured I would give them a shot and won some on ebay for $26, then went and got the CRTs we had stashed :)

Oh ya, that must be true becuase you say so! :rolleyes:
actually you said so:

I could care less about super accurate colors or photoshop or any of that jazz. Viewing angle problems of LCDs are blown way out of proportion. Why would you sit anywhere besides directly in front of your computer screen? Zero viewing angle problems.

issue with TN viewing angles is that it have different gamma on top and bottom of screen and color shift on sides even if you look at them straight...

issue with TN viewing angles is that it have different gamma on top and bottom of screen and color shift on sides even if you look at them straight...
That is not really an issue for several years already.

http://www.pcmonitors.org/monitor-reviews/samsung-t27a950

Its an issue still, though more noticeable on a 27" than a 22" or a 23". Horrible for gaming? - especially on a glossy that might temper the effect slightly, probably not.. It can be minimized but not avoided on 27" screens by using a monitor arm (on monitors that are vesa compatible) and adjusting it so that your eyeballs are looking dead center at the screen. The colors themselves have become more saturated though, if not accurate, on displays like the samsung 120hz monitors. According some some reviews, while not completely uniform across the screen and slightly oversaturated, the colors look great for games. Once you see a 27" ips in person and use one for desktop apps and some types of games (and older engines where texture washout from blurring is not quite as obnoxious), you would see that other monitors don't really compare for raw imagery, especially still/desktop work, image viewing and editing. Graphics work. using multiple windows/previews/viewports and even enjoying high resolution still photos, art, etc on the uniform and very high ppi + desktop real-estate ips screens is just beautiful.
.Unfortunately for my uses or liking, I still have to use two or three different types of panels in order to get the benefits of each due to so many tradeoffs.
:rolleyes: .. hopefully the fw900 setup I am trying for using other people's as a reference will work out and my fw900 won't have problems or die for awhile. If/when it does, I'll prob have to consider 120hz lcd(s) if nothing better comes out by then. Considering the timeline so far, I'm not expecting any blur free modern displays to be produced in the next few years, but I'd love if something lilke that became available.

http://www.pcmonitors.org/monitor-reviews/samsung-t27a950

Its an issue still, though more noticeable on a 27" than a 22" or a 23". Horrible for gaming? - especially on a glossy that might temper the effect slightly, probably not.. It can be minimized but not avoided on 27" screens by using a monitor arm (on monitors that are vesa compatible) and adjusting it so that your eyeballs are looking dead center at the screen. The colors themselves have become more saturated though, if not accurate, on displays like the samsung 120hz monitors. According some some reviews, while not completely uniform across the screen and slightly oversaturated, the colors look great for games. Once you see a 27" ips in person and use one for desktop apps and some types of games (and older engines where texture washout from blurring is not quite as obnoxious), you would see that other monitors don't really compare for raw imagery, especially still/desktop work, image viewing and editing. Graphics work. using multiple windows/previews/viewports and even enjoying high resolution still photos, art, etc on the uniform and very high ppi + desktop real-estate ips screens is just beautiful.
.Unfortunately for my uses or liking, I still have to use two or three different types of panels in order to get the benefits of each due to so many tradeoffs.
:rolleyes: .. hopefully the fw900 setup I am trying for using other people's as a reference will work out and my fw900 won't have problems or die for awhile. If/when it does, I'll prob have to consider 120hz lcd(s) if nothing better comes out by then. Considering the timeline so far, I'm not expecting any blur free modern displays to be produced in the next few years, but I'd love if something lilke that became available.

Elvn, thanks for the info. I have a FW900 inbound to try out. Have you trieds gaming at 2304x1440 @ 80 Hz? What about 1920x1200 @ 96 Hz? I heard the latter might be the best resolution/Hz for gaming. Is it true the higher resolution might actually be more blurry then the lower one? Something about the dot pitch being too large for that high of a resolution.

Any tips on setting this bad boy up under Windows 7? I think I need to go reinforce my desk in preperation of it's arrival...

Welcome to the dark side, where many will ridicule you for "living in the past". You can now politely smile at their ignorance =]

As anyone with a 36" CRT TV will tell you, people always comment on how good the picture quality is compared to their own expensive LCD/Plasma. Despite this, they still can't be convinced to buy one for pennies second hand. If it isn't flat and looks nice when switched off, most people don't want to know.

I find plasmas give a comparable picture to CRTs

yes going too high the fine images may be harder to see, most CRTs have an optimal resolution / refresh for best performance.

The thing is, there is no market choice anymore. If you were buying a car, you can find a model for yourself no matter what your priorities are. Not so in the display department. How would the SUV drivers feel if there were no longer any SUV's made, but they wanted to buy one? And then people would come into SUV threads saying "You really need to get yourself a Prius, SUV's are old and outdated and this is better."

A solid point. The display industry is the worst of the worst of the worst, catering to the stupidest tech-illerate fools of nearly any group in recent history. "WTFHDBBQ 600Hz 80"! Only $1,000!" I'd pay three grand for a quality 30-inch OLED 2560x1600 display >80 Hz, but it'll be ten years before that kind of (very easily produced) technology ever makes its way into a purchaseable form.

oh forgot to post some results... it took a bit of fighting and figureing out but I got the edimensional 3D shutter glasses for like $30 shipped off ebay and got them working in interleved mode at 1600x1200@ 100Hz

Looks pretty good, not WOW OMG ITS 3D, but more of a yep... it's 3D.

So for those interested yes you can do 3D with the edimensional glasses to a CRT (6970 crossfire, DVI to VGA adapter, VGA adapter to edimensinal dongle, dongle to monitor)

A solid point. The display industry is the worst of the worst of the worst, catering to the stupidest tech-illerate fools of nearly any group in recent history. "WTFHDBBQ 600Hz 80"! Only $1,000!" I'd pay three grand for a quality 30-inch OLED 2560x1600 display >80 Hz, but it'll be ten years before that kind of (very easily produced) technology ever makes its way into a purchaseable form.

most people I see think that high definition means over saturated colors you see on uncalibrated LCDs and drool over the "great picture"

Most people I know care only that the TV is thin and fits in with their minimalistic furniture.

Most people I know care only that the TV is thin and fits in with their minimalistic furniture.

At my parents house, they bought the UN60D8000 TV by Samsung. It was close to $3800. It has the slimmest bezel ever, and it looks amazing aesthetically. But the picture quality of my $800 panny plasma blows it out of the water. The sammy has uniformity problems, washed out colors, and generally all the things that plague LCDs. It's some LED edgelit LCD with some kind of "micro-dimming plus." Don't see how it can micro-dim without full-array led backlighting. I think the older Samsung my parents put in their bedroom with CCFL backlighting has better PQ than the edge-lit LED crap.

Anyway, it'd be very tough for me to buy a TV simply based on looks. The Panasonic VT30 looks good enough in comparison to other LED LCDs if someone cares about looks and don't want to compromise on PQ.

I think you need to hand over your [H] card. I hate people who like LCDs. Worse thing to ever happen to my computer was when I lost my CRT, everything sucks now. Colors are never right, everything ghost around the screen, the contrast is horrid and even the dot pitch is just starting to hit CRT levels.

Maybe you just never got to experience the joy of an amazing machine like a CRT, but don't let your ignorance fool you into thinking there is any better display technology. Ever worked in a photo or video lab? Yeah they still use CRTs. Every tried to use Photoshop on an LCD that cost less than 1k?

I miss playing oblivion at 1080p85hz with a diagonal of only 16in. You can't beat that, really you can't. Newegg only has TWO LCDs capable of 120Hz on sale and both of them are shitty TN panels with horrible viewing angles.

heartflowers!

Yes, I could care less. That is why I have a FW900 on the way. :D Holy crap quality BNC cables are expensive.

An FW900 from Vito? Now I'm jealous :mad:

And you shouldn't pay too much for crap quality BNC cables, even if they're holy.

Sorry. :D

Ya, one from Vito. A+ FW900s don't come cheap these days! At blue jeans cables, the top BNC Belkin cable for my 24 foot signal run is $250. I know a quality signal is paramount for these CRTs, especially with the analog signals. (I have a noisy environment).

$250 for a cable? :eek:
I got whole FW900 for $100 with very good ghost-free D-SUB cable :D

I miss my NEC 24" CRT...... sniff, man, CS looked awesome on it!

I have a spare 22" NEC I'll sell you if your local to KY lol... I can barely fit the SGI one on my desk let alone 2 CRTs

Man, BF3 on Ultra would look amazing on a CRT @ 1920x1200 @ 90+Hz

Where the fuck is OLED? I am starting to harbor a lot of hate for the display industry. Nothing but crap for a fucking decade for desktop PC displays. At least you can get plasma for a television.

Although UPS power backups usually have some line conditioning, you might consider getting a better line conditioner if you are noticing some bad effects from line noise in your power.

I use a high wattage tripp lite line conditioner I got from provantage on some of my equipment.
Just thinking it would be nice if some reputable entitiy organized a group buy from china on these CRTs. I'd be in for at least one, maybe 2 at the right price.

I used to use a dvi to bnc cable by the way.. I haven't tried it yet but I want to try a long heavy gauge hdmi to dvi cable I have from monoprice, with the heavy gaguge dvi to bnc on the end - rather than a really long bnc cable. I'll have to see how it goes.

I used to use a dvi to bnc cable by the way.. I haven't tried it yet but I want to try a long heavy gauge hdmi to dvi cable I have from monoprice, with the heavy gaguge dvi to bnc on the end - rather than a really long bnc cable. I'll have to see how it goes.

After talking to a few cable makers, good RGBHV is way better than coverting some other type of cable like HDMI/DVI/VGA. RGBHV cable like Beldin 7712A (which I've ordered for a 25 foot run) with quality BNC connectors is what is used on the top high quality production equipment. This cable is an inch thick!

7712Acoil.jpg

well unless you have a gpu with bnc outputs - its converted at the video card with your cables anyway I think? I mean its coming out of the gpu as digital and either hdmi, dvi, or dp to start with.. so I am just extending that on a high quality, heavy gauge hdmi or dvi cable, and converting it further down the line instead of right at the video card. I have no prob with you spending $100 on that cable though. Very few places make heavy gauge dp extension cables and I bought a long one for $75 at one point. :)

I really really wish I could have a FW900 or some other good CRT.
Sadly disk space and weight are real issues for me these days so I'm left with horrible LCDs and dreams of OLED.

I might get a Plasma in a not too distant future to watch my Blu-Rays though... and a 120hz TN (grrr) instead of my IPS for gaming.

I got a Sony CPD-G520 for 20$ a couple months ago and use it in place of my 37" 1080p Westinghouse. Everybody thinks I'm crazy for that despite what I say.

I can run at 1920x1440 85hz and have more space to work and it's still clear enough to read small text at about 3 feet. My favorite for when I don't need work space or for gaming is 1600x1200 100hz.

I'm hoping this monitor will last until OLED or FED is out. After getting used to 85hz+ refresh rate 60hz looks even more like a slide show.

well unless you have a gpu with bnc outputs - its converted at the video card with your cables anyway I think? I mean its coming out of the gpu as digital and either hdmi, dvi, or dp to start with.. so I am just extending that on a high quality, heavy gauge hdmi or dvi cable, and converting it further down the line instead of right at the video card. I have no prob with you spending $100 on that cable though. Very few places make heavy gauge dp extension cables and I bought a long one for $75 at one point. :)

No for a CRT monitor your video card outputs analog signal. RAMDACs are built directly into the GPU chip to output an analog signal. You never want to convert anything as that invariable leads to signal loss. You want to keep the signal analog and a regular HDMI/DVI cable with those tiny wires designed for digital signals won't do a good job of it. Just use a DVI to BNC adapter and only 5 pins are used! Quality RGBHV cables are individually shielded and thick to give the best signal. Just compare a DVI cable with what 20+ wires in it half an inch thick to a RGNHC cable with 5 wires in it 1 inch thick!

Unless you are using some powered active adapter to change a digital signal to analog? Both of the AMD and nVidia current lines support DAC for VGA signals. I wouldn't be surprised if they eliminate DAC's from their GPUs in the future. :(

Last edited:
I miss CRT bad. Can you imagine if they made a comeback?

It would be a very niche market I'm afraid. People these days want 30" screens, and not one of them but 3, they want to hang them on the walls, put them upside down and sideways, they're bothered by bezels and what not...

Looks like everything is more important than image quality.

I had some fun today at work :) A sony rep came in and brought a OLED display the Trimaster PVM-2541

Viewing angles, Colors and contrast were excellent, but oddly even though motion was very smooth and fluid, I did notice jaggies on the edges of moving objects.... not sure if this is a byproduct of the set de-interlacing the HD-SDI signal we had going in to it...

Monitor cost $6,100

Wish I had remembered I would have brought my PC to work and hooked it up to do some testing since most of the stuff we have wasnt as high quality as some blu-rays (I think we shoot on Sony-EX1s maybe 25Mbps bitrate 1929x1080 30i on some cameras 60i on others) I'm not in commercial production or news (I'm in IT) so I cant really comment on the settings.

well I gave in and placed and order for the Samsung S23A750D, it will be here friday! I'll have most of the weekend to put it through it's paces in 2D and 3D modes :)

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll compare it to my SGI CRT

well I gave in and placed and order for the Samsung S23A750D, it will be here friday! I'll have most of the weekend to put it through it's paces in 2D and 3D modes :)

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll compare it to my SGI CRT

Hah, that is funny. I have 3x S23A750D's here and I have a FW900 incoming. The S23A750D is a great LCD. We can compare notes.

I wish I could afford 3 and I have seen your setup before it is gorgeous!

I wish I had a true calibration device to really set things right. My plan is to keep one of my acers with the samsung for desktop use, and ditch the other two. Eyefinity was nice but too many games didn't play nice with it and I didn't care for the fisheye effect. The full fov was nice though I do have to admit that, especially with battlefield 3 set to ultra! The other thing that annoyed me with eyefinity was desktop use and remote access. I went in via team viewer one day forgetting I had eyefinity enabled and I could see to do anything at all lmao

This is kind of an experiment for me as well as then I can see if it might be worthwhile to get a 3dtv.... Granted though I can't run true 120hz to a tv for my htpc, but then again the htpc will not be as powerful as my desktop so 1280x720 for games won't bother me as much I suppose.

Anyway I'm anxious to get this monitor lol I hope it does kneed arrive as promised Friday

Man, BF3 on Ultra would look amazing on a CRT @ 1920x1200 @ 90+Hz

Where the fuck is OLED? I am starting to harbor a lot of hate for the display industry. Nothing but crap for a fucking decade for desktop PC displays. At least you can get plasma for a television.

Forget OLED where is SED??? It was supposed to be the same thickness as current LCDs but display like thousands of mini CRTs. Why oh why did it die out.

I only went to 120Hz LCD monitors because finding 2nd hand trinitron CRTs in good shape was getting difficult where I live as they have their weaknesses like being quite fragile, overbrightness, convergence and geometry issues from bad treatment and scratches on the screen etc. Since motion smoothess > color accuracy etc is more important I went for 120Hz LCD. If you could buy new CRTs today I might very well use one such as Dell P1130 21" capable of 1600x1200@100Hz.

I wish I could afford 3 and I have seen your setup before it is gorgeous!

I wish I had a true calibration device to really set things right. My plan is to keep one of my acers with the samsung for desktop use, and ditch the other two. Eyefinity was nice but too many games didn't play nice with it and I didn't care for the fisheye effect. The full fov was nice though I do have to admit that, especially with battlefield 3 set to ultra! The other thing that annoyed me with eyefinity was desktop use and remote access. I went in via team viewer one day forgetting I had eyefinity enabled and I could see to do anything at all lmao

This is kind of an experiment for me as well as then I can see if it might be worthwhile to get a 3dtv.... Granted though I can't run true 120hz to a tv for my htpc, but then again the htpc will not be as powerful as my desktop so 1280x720 for games won't bother me as much I suppose.

Anyway I'm anxious to get this monitor lol I hope it does kneed arrive as promised Friday

Ya, eyefinity/surround is a nightmare a lot of times. Between trying to get individual games to work properly, to horrible drivers and support, especially for portrait mode will drive a guy mad. I think down through the years of all the time I've wasted on eyefinity/surround problems I could have built a small town. :D

Back