• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

AHCI or RAID mode for SSD RAID array plus single SSD?

koomba

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 10, 2004
Messages
297
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm not sure what settings to use on my motherboard. Before I got any SSDs, I have always used RAID arrays, so I never really had to worry about it. I just always used RAID mode in my bios settings. But now I'm a little confused.

I know you are supposed to use AHCI mode for SSDs, correct? When I initially installed mine, it was in RAID mode and the speeds were much slower than after I switched it to AHCI.

However now I just bought 2 SSDs that I plan on putting in a RAID0 array. Got that good deal posted over in the deals forum for the refurbished Corsairs, and 256GB for right at 1$/GB was a great deal. So my question is do I have to have my bios settings for the controller set to RAID to set up a RAID array? My first gut instinct would say yes of course, but honestly I really don't know the answer to that question.

I ask because I want to keep my current SSD. It is a 64GB drive and it is faster than the Corsairs I'm getting, so I want to keep it as my boot drive. The RAID array will be for game installs only.

So what is the best option to be able to set up my RAID array and also keep the best performance?

Thanks for the help, I feel pretty stumped right now. Although I haven't tried messing around with the settings, because I don't have any spare drives around at the moment to test with.:confused:

Thanks again in advance.:D
 
SSDs are treated no differently than mechanical drives.

Of course you have to have the BIOS set to RAID to set-up a RAID array.

The boot drive doesn't need to be part of the array and that's the same as a mechanical drive.

Carry on! :D
 
SSDs are treated no differently than mechanical drives.

Of course you have to have the BIOS set to RAID to set-up a RAID array.

The boot drive doesn't need to be part of the array and that's the same as a mechanical drive.

Carry on! :D

Yeah that's what I assumed, I just didn't know what to do since everyone says performance is better in AHCI. Just the price you pay for going raid with SSD drives I suppose? Thanks.
 
If you want to use the motherboards raid feature then you will need the controller in raid mode.

However since you are not going to be using the raid 0 array as a boot drive you also have the option of leaving the controller in AHCI mode and using the raid 0 support in windows for your new pair of drives.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323433 (those instructions reffer to 2003 but i'm pretty sure it's the same in XP, dunno about win7)
 
Coupla things here.

RAID includes AHCI.

AHCI is recommended for SSDs but AMD/nVidia do not do well with AHCI.

AMD/nVidia chipsets are much slower than Intel chipsets in RAID and AHCI and nothing can be done about it.
 
Back
Top