AGP 8x upgrade

I am going to be upgrading my video card from a Radeon 9600 xt 128mb agp 8x video card, i was wondering what i should upgrade to.. I want a 256mb GDDR3 card, but im not sure which one i should get.

You should mention the rest of your PC specs so people can recommend a good card that won't be bottlenecked by the processor. If you have 2.8-3.3 ghz intel or AMD equiv 6800GT or x800xl are good choices.

well it depends mostly on your power supply. if you have an out-of-date powersupply with 5V emphasis and a weaker 12V, or even just a low low maximum power output, you probably wont be able to run a really good card. as it stands now though, i would definately get a 6800GT, it has the 256mb gddr3 ram you are looking for and is getting cheaper all the time

I'd recommend a 6800 GT or an x800 XL as far as relatively high end bang-for-the-buck goes. As far as I know, the fastest AGP 8x card is the x850 XT-PE.

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton
1 gig Corsair XMS PC2700(333mhz)
80 gig SATA drive.. (dont remember make/model)
abit nf2 mobo (dont remember specific model)
Getting an Ultra X-connect 400 watt powersupply (might get a 500 watt, not sure yet)

I dont want to spend more than 300 on the video card, at least, not much more. Im planning on upgrading fully later this year, with an M2 socket and dual core processor, and SLI capabilities, or Crossfire. But, the new socket doesnt come out until much later, and i really would rather be able to play the higher end games on max detail now, without breaking the bank.

RaphaelVinceti said:
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Barton
1 gig Corsair XMS PC2700(333mhz)
80 gig SATA drive.. (dont remember make/model)
abit nf2 mobo (dont remember specific model)
Getting an Ultra X-connect 400 watt powersupply (might get a 500 watt, not sure yet)

get the 500 the 400 is just a total POS the newer 500s arent as good as thay used to be

but any way get a 6800GT

thanks

btw.. should i add more ram? I have two 256 sticks in Dual channel, and a 512 mb stick in the extra channel.. should i get rid of the two 256 sticks, and add two more 512s?

RaphaelVinceti said:
thanks

btw.. should i add more ram? I have two 256 sticks in Dual channel, and a 512 mb stick in the extra channel.. should i get rid of the two 256 sticks, and add two more 512s?

you should get rid of the 256s
and run ONLY 2 512s

Back