Afterburner and 2d clocks

Wazooty

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 21, 2009
Messages
379
Running dual monitors with my 5870 causes flickering when using catalyst to overclock. This happens when the memory is overclocked even a tiny bit...cata won't set the proper 2d clocks, it goes down 157/300 instead of the 400/900 it runs at when not enabling overdrive with dual monitors. So I got afterburner since you can apparently set the 2d clocks yourself...but it still defaults back down to 157/300 in 2d mode. I have it set to simply stay at the 3d clocks in 2d mode..



Suggestions? I suppose uninstalling catalyst is an option but I'm not sure if that's causing the problem, or if it's required for ati cards or whatnot...

thanks.
 
I uninstalled catalyst and no dice, still defaults to 157/300 idle. All setting the 2d profile to the lower clocked one is make the maximum clocks lower...it doesn't actually idle at the lower clocks.
 
Make 2 profiles, one for 2d and one of 3d and then save them ( bottom left of gui ). Have Afterburner use automatic profile management for 2d and 3d in the settings. Done :)
 
I always assumed 175/300 was the default idle state for the 5870. Mine's done that since first boot up and with multiple bios'. I thought that's why they soaked up so little power at idle.
 
Make 2 profiles, one for 2d and one of 3d and then save them ( bottom left of gui ). Have Afterburner use automatic profile management for 2d and 3d in the settings. Done :)

I do the same thing. When I'm in 2D mode I use the default profile and it clocks it down 175/300 and 1050/1300 when I'm in Game.

That being said I use like 75% fanspeed when gaming and I can't wait to get a 2nd card and put these under water.
 
Make 2 profiles, one for 2d and one of 3d and then save them ( bottom left of gui ). Have Afterburner use automatic profile management for 2d and 3d in the settings. Done :)

That's what I did, the problem I'm having is that it goes down to 157/300 idle regardless of what profile I set the 2d clocks to.

When I'm in a 2d setting, indeed, it sets the clocks to 640/1275 (what I set it to), but that is simply the maximum clock, not the idle clock, it still goes down to 157/300. It will switch between the 2d and 3d profiles automatically, but it sees the profiles as the maximum clocks to use in those situations, not the idle clocks.
 
install the new 10.4 preview drivers or the leaked 10.5 betas. Both fix this problem.
 
install the new 10.4 preview drivers or the leaked 10.5 betas. Both fix this problem.

Is afterburner still needed? because I installed 10.4 and just using overdrive still causes it to default down to 157/300 if even the slightest memory overclock is applied.

Edi: no dice with afterburner.
 
Last edited:
Is afterburner still needed? because I installed 10.4 and just using overdrive still causes it to default down to 157/300 if even the slightest memory overclock is applied.
I'm only overclocking with Afterburner. I have the 10.5b drivers installed and MSI Afterburner and I use Afterburner to overclock, with shortcut hotkeys + automatically applying overclocking on bootup.
 
lock your 2d clock to the same speed as 3d clocks. problem solved.
 
lock your 2d clock to the same speed as 3d clocks. problem solved.

how.

I can set my 2d clocks to whatever my 3d clocks are, but that does not fix the problem. Afterburner or not, it still idles at 157/300. The value I set my 2d clocks to in afterburner are simply the maximum value it will go to in 2d mode, not the minimum like you'd want.

Do you guys understand my problem?
 
I had a lot of screen flickering with Overdrive enabled as well. I just turned Overdrive OFF, and overclock only with Afterburner (as in Overdrive is unchecked in CCC). Did you try this?
 
I had a lot of screen flickering with Overdrive enabled as well. I just turned Overdrive OFF, and overclock only with Afterburner (as in Overdrive is unchecked in CCC). Did you try this?

Yes, tried about everything that's simple to do.

I've even gone into the profiles for catalyst and manually changed the clocks I want it to go to but it won't allow the idle memory clock to go above 1200.

Ugh.
 
how.

I can set my 2d clocks to whatever my 3d clocks are, but that does not fix the problem. Afterburner or not, it still idles at 157/300. The value I set my 2d clocks to in afterburner are simply the maximum value it will go to in 2d mode, not the minimum like you'd want.

Do you guys understand my problem?

did you flash the bios of your 5870's to an asus bios?
 
bios is the one that shipped with the card. I did get one of the first ones available...would you think that might have something to do with it?
 
To force your card to run at fullspeed all the time, open Afterburner's config file and find a line about UnoffcialOverclocking. Change it from "0" to "1" and you won't idle at such low speeds. That's what I had to do when I was running multiple monitors.
 
Thanks clown, that fixes the problem. I'll look into updating the bios in the meantime.
 
Back
Top