After going through Note 4's Lollipop upgrade experience...

Godmachine

[H]F Junkie
I've decided to go back to Apple. Got an iPhone 6 plus and man I love it. The Note 4 is just brimming with issues since Lollipop. The battery life is awful. After doing 4 factory resets and keeping Android barebones its just pointless. Once I get my apps on there (the majority of them) it just begins to slow down and no matter how I configure things it stays that way unless its left barebones. None of the apps I'm using a big hogs of memory or anything like that nor are they "shady". TouchWiz is also without a doubt the slowest of all custom Android OS's I've used. It bogs everything down. It makes using Chrome on the phone a nightmare as it stutters to load picture filled web sites.

Despite all this I loved the Note 4 OLED screen. It really seems like stock Lollipop on Google phones is absolutely butter smooth but Samsung just ruins the experience with TouchWiz. The battery life issue really killed it for me. Even though its a user replaceable battery Its a chore to have to carry extras and constantly change them out if you want a nice multi day session of usage. The rapid charging feature is amazing I'll grant Samsung that but I don't always have access to a charger so its not practical.

I really wanted to love the phone. The SD card slot is still its best feature. But I can't stand the chunky UI sluggishness and Samsung's laziness in updating. Not to mention it was an AT&T unlocked phone so that means the bootloader is locked out so I can't even root it. I really wanted to keep it but after using Kitkat for 2 weeks and loving the battery life I just can't stand how Lollipop has dragged it to the ground.

I will say that the iPhone 6 Plus is a gem. Beautiful screen (can't hold up against OLED but its still very nice) really solid design and the battery easily lasts about 2-3 days without charging. That alone makes it worth it. It also doesn't chug on web sites with lots of pics. It also takes better pictures as well (however only a bit better not a massive difference).

After all my trial and error I recommend avoiding the Note 4 unless you have access to the 5.1 update which removes much of the TouchWiz bloatware and/or the International processor which is suppose to outperform the Snapdragon offered in the states. There is no question Android beats iOS in customization and configuration but it comes at the cost of many annoying issues..

Just my 2 cents. Hard to believe one update like that killed my user experience entirely. Bravo Samsung...

Two of the MAs at clinic have Note 4s and both pretty much report the same terrible experience after the update. Did Samsung not QA this update before pushing it out?

Two of the MAs at clinic have Note 4s and both pretty much report the same terrible experience after the update. Did Samsung not QA this update before pushing it out?

Honestly? Its possible. The rush to put out a big huge update like Lollipop plus Google's need to advertise it on every tech blog in creation and Youtuber probably made the carriers nervous to hold it back. Maybe that's why Verizon took its sweet time getting it out (probably not..). But its absolutely bug filled there is no question there. Its probably the single worst Android update I've ever experienced of that kind of magnificence. I've been using Android for years and between the LG G2 and the Note 4 I don't think I'll be going back for more bugs and frustration.

Its really all the fault of TouchWiz in this case. Its very poorly optimized for Lollipop. Look at the S6 , it has the stripped down version and sings across the board. Fantastic battery life and silky smooth OS performance thanks to Samsung's proprietary chip. The funny/sad part is that the Note 4's CPU is still a monster its just being held back.

Ultimately I'm sure 5.1 will fix many issues but it'll also introduce new ones as per the norm with big Android updates. I remember when my LG G2 was updated to Kitkat 4.4 and afterward it began to overheat randomly and rapidly drain the battery. The worst part was that the headphone jack had some kind of bug where the moment you plugged in a headset all you could hear was static every time the phone was in use. Even browsing had a constant static hum to it. It took 8 months for LG to update and fix the problem. 8 fucking months...

The worst thing that plagues these phones are the custom OS's. They are beasts of pure burden and weight down the experience entirely. If you buy a Google stock phone they are pretty amazing and don't show any of the weird issues the custom OS phones do. Even if they do Google updates them promptly so I think that's the only viable route right now. The Note 4 was amazing on Kitkat (mostly) with its day and half with heavy usage of battery life.

5.0 is easily the worst update Google has released yet. 5.1 fixes some stuff but as far as development is concerned I don't want to deal with this update at all.

With that said my note 3 has the same update and the battery life It's about 10% worse which isn't bad. What's terrible is the memory management and I'm not relearning this crap. I know a lot of developers are snubbing lollipop and I hope they all do.

I went from iPhone 4S to Galaxy S5 a couple weeks ago. The 5.0 update I did a week ago actually made my cell reception worse. If I want to make a call without walking 200 yards from my apartment, I need to use the iPhone (or use my Galaxy S5 before I updated it). AT&T reception is really bad in this area, sure, but this phone is still getting beaten by a phone that is older, smaller, and cheaper.

EDIT: Also, what is up with going from white text / black screen to black text / white screen. Is it THAT hard to figure out which looks better on an OLED display with theoretically infinite contrast ratio?

Last edited:
I know it's available on Verizon but isn't there a full stock Lollipop rom for the AT&T version that you try flashing then do a full wipe to see if it fixes your issue which is the usual recommendation for any type of device? Worse case you can always flash back the stock Kit Kat rom.

As for browser performance the stock optimized "internet" browser is usually the best. As for Chrome mobile, from my experience Chrome release version isn't as smooth such as scrolling while page is still downloading compared to Chrome Dev version which is even better than Chrome Beta. If you prefer ad blocking you can try Firefox mobile which supports add-ons like ad blocker.

I've used CM12 (Lollipop 5.0.2) and currently CM12.1 (5.1.1) which are based on Android source and battery life does about five to six days stand by and six hours screen on time so it's as good as stock Kit Kat but I always do a full flash and wipe to avoid potential issues.

I went from iPhone 4S to Galaxy S5 a couple weeks ago. The 5.0 update I did a week ago actually made my cell reception worse. If I want to make a call without walking 200 yards from my apartment, I need to use the iPhone (or use my Galaxy S5 before I updated it). AT&T reception is really bad in this area, sure, but this phone is still getting beaten by a phone that is older, smaller, and cheaper.

This is actually interesting, while there shouldn't be any difference between the reception of the two devices the update shouldn't affect reception what-so-ever.

A firmware update would be able to adjust your attenuation and gains on the antenna but not a kernel update.

My Note 4 (AT&T) has had no issues after the Lollipop update. Battery life is the same and it is as smooth as ever. I think I might be the exception, but hey, I'll take it.

Shame to hear it was such a rough expereince. I will say on my Nexus 4 there were some hiccups, but now that I am on 5.1, I am really surprised at the phones performance.I feel like it is snappier than it was on 4.4, which after owning it for two years is saying something.

snip

The worst thing that plagues these phones are the custom OS's. They are beasts of pure burden and weight down the experience entirely. If you buy a Google stock phone they are pretty amazing and don't show any of the weird issues the custom OS phones do. Even if they do Google updates them promptly so I think that's the only viable route right now. The Note 4 was amazing on Kitkat (mostly) with its day and half with heavy usage of battery life.

This right here. I can see in the pre kit kat days why this would be necessary, but I think that Lollipop is a far enough evolution of the OS that OEMs could add flourishes but dont need to reskin the whole damn OS. All the videos of the LG G4 make cringe seeing what they did to 5.1.

I make this point that I prefer a clean OS that can be upgraded, it just limits phone selection.

Let us know how Apple land is. I actually almost jumped to a 6 but they were out of stock and we were traveling so it did not work out. I took it as a sign.

I don't agree with your opinon of the Samsung note 4. I have had a sprint note 4 that i have been using since October. I have not experienced the constant crashes or slow downs that your describing. It almost seems like the phone you have had some sort of hardware failure and needs to be rma'ed. I have you touch whiz on kitkat and the lolipop update. Although it can seem to lag sometimes when switching apps it by no means is as slow as described. My solution is to install a launcher such as nova prime launcher. I have been running this for months and it has speed up the animations and reduced any lag to nothing. When i upgraded to lollipop back at the beginning of march i did a full wipe after installing the update. The phone is a little quicker and my battery life is even better.
having used the note 4 for several months I'm having a hard time believing the phone was that terrible.

No problems here. I did a factory reset and use Nova Launcher and my phones running fine. Battery life doesn't seem any different and I'm not having any crashes or anything. I've read all the complaints on forums but haven't had any myself. Don't know what makes my case different but I'm enjoying Lollipop.

No offense but moving to iOS because you didn't like a specific version of Android on a specific phone seems silly. You could have just gone back to Kitkat if you otherwise liked the phone as you claimed.

No offense but moving to iOS because you didn't like a specific version of Android on a specific phone seems silly. You could have just gone back to Kitkat if you otherwise liked the phone as you claimed.

How could he have gone back to Kitkat on a phone with no known root method or unlockable bootloader? Replace the phone maybe, but then you have to deal with the constant nags to update the phone.

It does seem suspect but maybe different people have different priorities for performance areas such as swiping the home screen. Since I'm in the browser a lot my priority is scrolling performance and even on an old 2012 Note II it out scrolls the iPhone 6/6+ and can have more tabs open without reload where the iPhone 6+ tends to reload with just two of the following link:

http://live.theverge.com/apple-iphone-iwatch-live-blog/

A Note 3 is even better so I can't imagine the Note 4 being worse.

My battery life is down and I always keep my Note 4 on power saving mode. It would last me about 2 days but now 18 hours if I am lucky.

It should be worth noting that Google botched the 5.0 release. The issues you mentioned stem from serious bugs that were in the official build and fixed in 5.1 (now 5.1.1). Samsung simply builds on those releases.

Iirc, there was a bug preventing deep sleep (battery drain), a memory leak (causing stutter/etc.) and a host of other issues. The fact Lollipop didn't even include a "silent mode" showed it wasn't ready.

My Lollipop 5.0 experience was absolutely terrible on my S5. I haven't seen a device that didn't have those base issues.

How exactly do I revert to Kitkat with a locked bootloader? It isn't silly its frustration stretched over a 29 day period. I tried every single step I could think of it to deal with this problem.

Here is the megathread stick on Reddit about my very issue with many experiencing the same result even on stock android Google branded phones : https://www.reddit.com/r/galaxynote4/comments/3405x5/lollipop_battery_life_megathread/

Here is Neogaf's thread on the problem that popped up two days ago : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037674

The XDA forums are littered with people who are experiencing the same issue even after many factory resets.

I realize you were not trying to be rude but you could have done a little research into the subject before you offered up your opinion. Believe me I didn't want to go back to iOS as it has its own set of restrictions but what was I suppose to do? If I bought another phone I could run into the same battery draining bug or a different set of Lollipop specific issues so while for some the problem isn't noticed (likely because they are not heavy users unlike me) many , MANY others do notice it. The problem is Samsung and how much they suck at updates.

After dealing with other issues on my LG G2 the fatigue was just beyond my threshold. Why dump another $600-700 into another phone with the same possible issues? Lollipop is a train wreck of an update. Even people with phones on 5.1 are experiencing memory management issues that cause non-stop access to the SD card which drains the battery as well so that's still an issue Google needs to address. The only Google phone that can match the specs and size of the Note 4 is the Nexus 6 and its way to big (at 5.9 inches , beyond what I feel is comfortable).

Its not as if I didn't try everything I could possibly think of. I did. For almost a month. I think my switch is well justified. When Samsung gets their act together and stops treating their updates like beta tests maybe I'll buy a Samsung phone again. But its not just Samsung. LG NEVER updates their phones and the one update I got on my G2 broke the usage of headphones and caused battery overheating/drain issues. Motorola seems decent with its updates and minimalist custom UI but I don't really care for its feature set. There are other phones like the Chinese branded ones but they often don't come with all the cellular network bands so you are stuck with a phone searching for a signal and burning the battery life away doing so if you don't live in a densely packed city full of service providers.

I want a powerhouse phone with great specs but I also don't want to have the anxiety of charging 3 different batteries and staring at my battery level all day long as well. Sorry I'm just not interested in that.

I've had my iPhone 6 Plus for 4 days now and I'm managed two and half days out of a single charge with playing games , streaming video , lots and lots of browsing , video chat. That's well beyond even the Note 4 with Kitkat. In terms of this update , Lollipop , its really rolled back the powerhouse phones in terms of performance.

My last complaint about Lollipop also concerning Samsung is who the hell makes the UI ALL WHITE and baby blue/yellow with an OLED screen that drains 2-3x faster with white on the screen then black? Did Samsung even think about that issue? OLED's biggest downfall is bright whites concerning battery life and they didn't even think to offer a UI that keeps that in mind. Instead even under adaptive brightness you get jacked by poorly thought out UI color theme.

Last edited:
I am not a Note 4 fan (using one with Verizon) because it ticks me off that such a powerful SoC + 3GB ram could be turned into a sluggish, lazy beast. At steady state (me doing nothing), the bloat on the system eats up ~2GB of ram and actually keeps me from running more than 2 or 3 apps at a time.

I can't speak about all the women in the thread here posting complaints about battery life, aesthetics, screen, or upgrade horrors because none of their broke-a-nail complaints are mine, but if you're going to crow about the iphone 6, feel free to leave Android out of it.

It's loaded with services and apps to cater to everyone. Just disable stuff you don't use like on Windows.

Lollipop sucks. 5.0 was an exceptionally terrible release and is terrible even on the flagship Nexus 6.

Android is a pain to port for oem's as its basically only built and tested on the Nexus platform.

TouchWiz (at least before the version on S6) has tons of bloat.

The versions approved by US carriers have even more restrictions, bloat and loopholes to jump through. Esp for Verizon.

Add all that up and its no surprise.

Have you tried this?

http://www.androidrootz.com/p/galaxy-note-4-stock-firmwares.html

People on the locked bootloader Verizon Note 4 seem to be able to revert back to stock Kit Kat. Don't use this though since it's for Verizon.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-verizon/development/firmware-firmware-kernel-modem-recovery-t2942937

Since I had an AT&T version its useless for me. Also getting around the bootloader can end up being a nasty piece of work (bricking , recovering). Its quite a hassle as well.

I also disabled everything I could. In my original post (since some in this thread are not bothering to read parts of it) I ran barebones with Facebook , Instagram , Twitter and Chrome installed. Nothing else. No games , no custom apps , no launchers... nothing. And it still bogged down and hogged huge amounts of memory. If a $700 phone can't run those apps smoothly with nothing else installed then frankly that phone is garbage.

Nothing I tried and believe me.. I tried everything I could find that wouldn't brick my phone and deal with that nightmare .. worked.

I am not a Note 4 fan (using one with Verizon) because it ticks me off that such a powerful SoC + 3GB ram could be turned into a sluggish, lazy beast. At steady state (me doing nothing), the bloat on the system eats up ~2GB of ram and actually keeps me from running more than 2 or 3 apps at a time.

I can't speak about all the women in the thread here posting complaints about battery life, aesthetics, screen, or upgrade horrors because none of their broke-a-nail complaints are mine, but if you're going to crow about the iphone 6, feel free to leave Android out of it.

I've had Android for years. I'm not "broke-a-nail" whiner. The last iPhone I used before this was the 4 and stopped after one year. I've been sticking with Android because by and large its a decent OS but Google's loose and fast rules with letting carriers bloat up its OS has really knocked it down even with beastly specs. So if I want to be critical of Android and Lollipop sucking a fat cock I'll be that way and have the experience to back it up. If your OS is so shitty that a quad core 2.7Ghz CPU and 3 GB of RAM can't run it smoothly then you've got serious issues with that OS. Android use to be renowned for its small footprint and slick performance. It had the leg up on iOS for years in many departments like multitasking. But things have changed. Google is so obsessed with adding features that it isn't pulling in the reigns with its carriers at all. Frankly that's all Google has to do and its not and it makes $700 phones like the Note 4 perform like my G2 which is pathetic.

Whatever the hell is going on at Google they need someone to tell Samsung and the carriers that their bloatware is ruining Google's ecosystem. I'm not big Apple fan boy either. I think Mac's are a huge waste of money except for the pretty design. I loathe their policies with the App store and I loathe most of their fan base and their obsession with Apple being some kind of "messiah" when it comes to any product. I think the Apple Watch is the most hysterical waste of money right now on the market. It can't even survive a 4 foot drop unless you fork over for the $600+ dollar version with Sapphire glass. Its effectively a giant notification screen which is pointless. But I don't want to be working or traveling and have to worry about something that shouldn't be an issue because of an OS update. I'll be happy to slam Apple if they push an update that destroy's my iPhone battery life as well. But one thing I'll give Apple is that if an update cripples the device I won't have to wait a year so it can update its bloatware for that update as well and push it half ass through the pipe over a period of months only to have to spend nights disabling software and wasting hours on Reddit seeking out someone else who's run into the same issue.

Last edited:
Since I had an AT&T version its useless for me. Also getting around the bootloader can end up being a nasty piece of work (bricking , recovering). Its quite a hassle as well.

Did you even open the first link? It has an option to download the AT&T stock rom dated 11/23/14 which would be Kit Kat.

http://downloadandroidfiles.org/file-php/?File=/Galaxy%20Note%204/Stock%20Files/ALL_ATT_N910AUCU1ANIE_N910AATT1ANIE_CL2774708_QB2373670_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.zip

Using ODIN to flash the full image is no different than using iTunes to do a full recovery or revert back to previous version of iOS.

Did you even open the first link? It has an option to download the AT&T stock rom dated 11/23/14 which would be Kit Kat.

http://downloadandroidfiles.org/file-php/?File=/Galaxy%20Note%204/Stock%20Files/ALL_ATT_N910AUCU1ANIE_N910AATT1ANIE_CL2774708_QB2373670_REV00_user_low_ship_MULTI_CERT.tar.zip

Using ODIN to flash the full image is no different than using iTunes to do a full recovery or revert back to previous version of iOS.

Except that it can brick my phone? Have you even read my first post in this thread?? I returned the Note 4. Got an iPhone. This entire thread was me posting my impressions of dealing with Lollipop 5.0 on the Note 4 and why it made me switch after dealing with the whole frustrating experience. Based on other posters in this thread its more like an echo then an opinion.

Why would it brick your phone? Does iTunes recovery brick your phone when you have to revert back because an iOS update has issues? I've used both for years and haven't bricked anything. If it's something you don't want to attempt you can always take it to a Best Buy Samsung kiosk and they'll do it for you. But why would it matter if you brick it if you're returning it since they can't refuse a return if an update supposedly has issues?

Why would it brick your phone? Does iTunes recovery brick your phone when you have to revert back because an iOS update has issues? I've used both for years and haven't bricked anything. If it's something you don't want to attempt you can always take it to a Best Buy Samsung kiosk and they'll do it for you. But why would it matter if you brick it if you're returning it since they can't refuse a return if an update supposedly has issues?

Are you going somewhere at this point? The phone is RETURNED I can't even try what you are suggesting and lets say I did and bricked my phone because of my own fuck up. What then? I've never returned a brick phone yet somehow I shouldn't be worried about the return policy at Amazon or if the third party vendor I bought it through complained about it? Your assuming I bought it on a contract from what I can tell and that isn't the chase.

So your solution was to downgrade the phone , deal with the phone reminding me an update is available constantly (which is annoying) and wait for Samsung to fix the OS at "some point" in the future probably a year from now? You do realize Samsung could just as easily fuck up the 5.1 update as well don't you? Your argument is based on me having the phone at this moment to try and attempt what you are suggesting yet I can't. So I should return my iPhone , buy the Note 4 again just so I can try this out based on your opinion?

This argument is pointless. My experience is my experience and if you don't like it hey that's fine but truly this isn't going anywhere and hasn't really since your first post. I think 29 days is a nice long period of time for a phone to prove its worth and if it fails to do so then it should be returned. As I said before I noted that in my first post I bought an iPhone. Why would I hang on to the Note 4? So I can have a $700 key chain lying around?

It's loaded with services and apps to cater to everyone. Just disable stuff you don't use like on Windows.

I am gonna go back to T-Mo and grab me a Nexus 6. Unlocked everything.

AT&T actually auto-updates. At least, it has for me.
I've gotten the 4.4.4 update notification numerous times on my S5. I try to ignore it.
Out of the blue it attempts to install automatically.
Luckily that fails because of root and freezing a shitton of useless stupid apps that cannot be uninstalled in any other way, shape, or form.

I believe even my G2 Skyrocket and original Captivate auto-updated. I couldn't ignore or dismiss the update. It would eventually shove it down my throat.

So it's kind of a moot point to downgrade. Though I never looked in to ways of blocking the auto install.

AT&T actually auto-updates. At least, it has for me.
I've gotten the 4.4.4 update notification numerous times on my S5. I try to ignore it.
Out of the blue it attempts to install automatically.
Luckily that fails because of root and freezing a shitton of useless stupid apps that cannot be uninstalled in any other way, shape, or form.

I believe even my G2 Skyrocket and original Captivate auto-updated. I couldn't ignore or dismiss the update. It would eventually shove it down my throat.

So it's kind of a moot point to downgrade. Though I never looked in to ways of blocking the auto install.

After doing a little research on Reddit I found that on AT&T Note 4's its impossible to block the update OTA without root access so point in fact even if I managed to reinstall Kitkat I would just have it auto updated and since AT&T locks the bootloader there is no way to prevent it even if you wanted to.

So basically if you have an AT&T Note 4 and want to keep Kitkat you're fucked. So I'm glad I didn't even bother looking into forcing back Kitkat (as I had a feeling it would end up being a further waste of time). Its complete bullshit that AT&T forces you to update as well. My LG G2 didn't force me to update and I could turn off the feature , you can also turn off this feature on Motorola devices able to update to Lollipop.

Makes me glad I did what I did frankly. I hate the idea of being pushed to an update without any choice in the matter. Its really bullshit in fact as the best way to deal with updates is a wait and see approach. Hell even Apple doesn't force you to update and this is Apple we are talking about.

On the plus side to the person who asked me how my experience with the 6 Plus is going I'll add its fantastic. The phone is buttery smooth , no hiccups on sites , I've only had one browser crash but I think it was related to another app. The battery life is amazing on the 6 Plus since it has that nice fat battery it can tackle heavy work loads with ease. Its really amazing what it can do considering how much less powerful it is compared to a Note 4. I can only imagine how beastly an iPhone would be with a quad core 2.7Ghz processor and 3GB's of ram , it would be a serious work horse without question. But then again the lesser processor is extremely efficient and helps a lot with battery life. I only wish the iPhone had more RAM. One thing you could do on the Note 4 even with Samsung/Google's terrible memory management is have tons of windows open. Apple deals with it well though but considering it simply caches the address in the browser and refreshes it on demand its kind of cheating.

Also worth mentioning is how much bigger the App store's gaming section is. Its massive and tons of weird/interesting games to play. The Google play store is anemic by comparison. Its not a hugely critical feature but there are some pretty fun games that pop up and I remember it taking ages for some games to show up on the Google play storefront. I don't think the 6 Plus will win over hardcore Android lovers since they love modding and customization so much but for my usage level its just what I want.

Last edited:
Its not samsung that has the battery drain issue, its google play services in lollipop that is constantly checking for updates. I have a developer edition note 4 so I switched it out with a modified one that doesn't check for updates and its been alot better. Before google play services would keep the phone awake for hours upon hours

Are you going somewhere at this point?

Next time make it clear that you got rid of the phone and that you're not open to suggestions so people don't waste their time with a useless thread.

I had battery drain issue first time trying Lollipop CM12. I could've given up and proclaimed Lollipop/Cyanogenmod suck Suck SUCK sUcK or do basic troubleshooting which turned out to be caused by TWRP recovery because the issue went away with CWM recovery.

Windows suddenly kept reporting my laptop HD was corrupted and to reboot to do a scan where it found no issues but upon booting back into Windows it reported the same error. This started right after doing a Windows 8 to 8.1 update. I could've given up and proclaimed Windows 8.1 suck Suck SUCK sUcK or do basic troubleshooting where a clean full install of Windows 8.1 fixed the issue. Sometimes OS updates for any type of device go wrong and the basic thing to do is a clean full install.

Don't mention XDA if you've never used ODIN and not willing to try basics or ask basic questions as it's a disservice to that community.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-verizon/general/disable-knox-ota-root-t2972263

Last edited:
Next time make it clear that you got rid of the phone and that you're not open to suggestions so people don't waste their time with a useless thread.

I had battery drain issue first time trying Lollipop CM12. I could've given up and proclaimed Lollipop/Cyanogenmod suck Suck SUCK sUcK or do basic troubleshooting which turned out to be caused by TWRP recovery because the issue went away with CWM recovery.

Windows suddenly kept reporting my laptop HD was corrupted and to reboot to do a scan where it found no issues but upon booting back into Windows it reported the same error. This started right after doing a Windows 8 to 8.1 update. I could've given up and proclaimed Windows 8.1 suck Suck SUCK sUcK or do basic troubleshooting where a clean full install of Windows 8.1 fixed the issue. Sometimes OS updates for any type of device go wrong and the basic thing to do is a clean full install.

Don't mention XDA if you've never used ODIN and not willing to try basics or ask basic questions as it's a disservice to that community.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-verizon/general/disable-knox-ota-root-t2972263

Wow dude you need to let it go. You seriously don't see the end to a discussion do you? Allow me to end with this since further discussion with you if futile "After going through Note 4's Lollipop upgrade experience..." NOT "Please help me deal with the battery drain issues of Lollipop on Note 4 otherwise I'll return the phone".

You seriously should just read the thread title before you jump in and hammer in an opinion that neither serves a constructive point in the discussion and only continues to exaggerate how profoundly odd it is that you continue to argue a moot point.

I'm done replying to you.

Its not samsung that has the battery drain issue, its google play services in lollipop that is constantly checking for updates. I have a developer edition note 4 so I switched it out with a modified one that doesn't check for updates and its been alot better. Before google play services would keep the phone awake for hours upon hours

Yea I've read on XDA and Reddit that people are saying this is the culprit. Not surprising I've had a similar issue with the G2. I used Greenify however but without root access the way it force hibernates is kinda a pain.

Agreed with how lousy the 5.0 experience is. I "upgraded" my Note 3 about a month ago to 5.0. Since then, I have serious lag issues, phone freezes, lock-screen abnormalities (all my numbers turn into white squares), battery life that is about 1/3 less than before. I do not see any 5.1 update coming anytime soon from AT&T, either. Really, just a piss-poor experience.

Yea, 5.0X was a terrible release.

Fortunately 5.1 seems to have fixed the issues (and I guess 5.1.1 is here). My parents are reporting acceptable battery life and performance again on the Nexus 4.

Hopefully Samsung's phones will see similar improvement.

Considering how long most of us are waiting for the 5.1 update, I'm not surprised the OP gave up. For a lot of people, it's really less of a headache to just switch phones.

Agreed with how lousy the 5.0 experience is. I "upgraded" my Note 3 about a month ago to 5.0. Since then, I have serious lag issues, phone freezes, lock-screen abnormalities (all my numbers turn into white squares), battery life that is about 1/3 less than before. I do not see any 5.1 update coming anytime soon from AT&T, either. Really, just a piss-poor experience.

I have the same update on my Note 3 and I can say I have none of these issues.

Don't get me wrong, I have seething hate for 5.0, enough to make me not consider Android again but my experience isn't this bad. :D

I'm on ATT.

I've seen that same issue on my Gingerbread phone and my dad's ICS phone. Google Play is a trainwreck.

I'm not sure if that's bloat or just the OS caching frequently used apps and data and such. In theory you really shouldn't have a lot of free memory available.

Lollipop, however, is indeed a complete and unmitigated universal across-the-board trainwreck, no matter how much Google's marketing tries to say otherwise.

I've had the update on my Verizon S5 for a while now and I have no issues with it at all. It's so hit or miss with people complaining about it.
My wife came from a iPhone 5c to the S5 and she's very happy with it running 5.0

My LG G3 was having serious battery life issues, thanks to the links provided earlier in this thread I was able to go back to the stock rom my phone shipped with. My battery after update would last maybe 7 hours, did all the standard trouble shooting no joy, but since I rolled back, everything is bueno!

Back