Affordable SR-2 or anything else open air case

is it just me or does that look like the same exact design that other guy here in the forums was working on 4 or 5 months ago?
 
That looks like pretty simple stuff to make yourself with a sheet of plywood and some 90 degree brackets. Probably $50 in materials and a days work. It's even easier if you don't need the GPU support brace. I like how the three top fans look though.
 
Damn sexy, but way more than what it should be.

This. I've admired their tech stations for a while, but they just cost too much. At least the Lian Li tech station looks sexy.
 
Looks nice. But affordable? A couple of pieces of MDF, 5 fans, and a bunch of screws and brackets and stuff? I could see $100 to maybe $150, but $229 is just silly.
 
Looks nice. But affordable? A couple of pieces of MDF, 5 fans, and a bunch of screws and brackets and stuff? I could see $100 to maybe $150, but $229 is just silly.
Yea for that price I'd take the 700D any day. Ultimately this thing would give me very little that I didn't already have running on an old TV tray with a box fan pointed at it.
 
Yeah their stations are nice but definitely there's a large markup. Considering that the regular ATX ones are still just about $100 or slightly more, I'm sure this one will be $150-$200.

I didn't really mind doing open box/caseless but the dust really irritated me waaaaaay too much.
 
When you said "affordable" I was expecting half that price. I would keep your 700D IMHO.
'
 
I love mine. My filter is awesome.
My SR-2 has 0 dust on it and I change the filter every 3-4 months.
Plus it only cost $60 to make.
There are no cords hanging out anymore.

SDC10771.jpg
 
I was looking at the Norco RPC-470 last night, and I really think that if one moves the PSU to be front mounted it would work with a SR-2. The only issue is that you end up using 4U heat sinks which means 92mm fans.
 
I was looking at the Norco RPC-470 last night, and I really think that if one moves the PSU to be front mounted it would work with a SR-2. The only issue is that you end up using 4U heat sinks which means 92mm fans.
I think we determined an SR2 won't quite fit in a Norco case. Not sure if we were looking at the 470 specifically.
 
That is a lot of money.
I'm not saying these nicer cases/tech benches aren't worth the money, but just something to keep in mind is my SR2 and seven hard drives are sitting in a nice home (PC A77B) that I bought for around $150. That was a clearance deal, granted, but still...
 
I'm going to keep my 700D, when MIR comes back it will cost me $209.
 
I was looking at the Norco RPC-470 last night, and I really think that if one moves the PSU to be front mounted it would work with a SR-2. The only issue is that you end up using 4U heat sinks which means 92mm fans.

2 of mine run with HSFs that would fit in a 4U. If noise isn't a problem, a pair of Hyper N520s with a pair of Delta 80CFM 92mm fans cools rather nicely. If you have L5640s, you don't need that much cooling really.

The problem you will have is that looking at the back, you can't get the board far enough to the right to line up with anything in a rack case. You would need to completely re-engineer the back plate to line up all the I/O stuff, even if you didn't care about the PCI-e slots. That is what stopped me cold on mounting one in a rack case.
 
2 of mine run with HSFs that would fit in a 4U. If noise isn't a problem, a pair of Hyper N520s with a pair of Delta 80CFM 92mm fans cools rather nicely. If you have L5640s, you don't need that much cooling really.

The problem you will have is that looking at the back, you can't get the board far enough to the right to line up with anything in a rack case. You would need to completely re-engineer the back plate to line up all the I/O stuff, even if you didn't care about the PCI-e slots. That is what stopped me cold on mounting one in a rack case.
nothing a dremel and some popsicle sticks couldn't fix :D
 
nothing a dremel and some popsicle sticks couldn't fix :D

That and basically you would have to tap your own mounts anyway.

The L5640's are getting "upgraded" to Supermicro SNK-P0040AP4's today. 2 for $65 or less which isn't bad and they are all of 19.5 dba 4U coolers with the threaded mounts and a tool-less replaceable fan.

When I bring the rig down for that, I may try a test fitting. I could eyeball that the I/O wouldn't work, but I'd bet no back plate and losing the top 2 USB/ PS/2 ports I would be OK.
 
Back
Top