• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Affordable 4CH raid 5 card

4 channel sata/ide? Is this for a real server or just for a home setup that won't need much bandwidth?
 
bahh didnt add ATA

looking to add it tothis

iv been lookiing at the highpoints but many reviews state its only a basic software raid setup...?

thnx
 
The 2200/2300 series highpoints are nice but sata. Do you already have the IDE disks yet, or would buying sata be an option?

There's really not much out there that I can recommend for ide hardware raid. The Highpoint IDE series is probably okay, but I haven't used it.

 
j00fek said:
bahh didnt add ATA

looking to add it tothis

iv been lookiing at the highpoints but many reviews state its only a basic software raid setup...?

That board has firmware SATA 4-drive RAID 5 support. ATA->SATA adapters might be usable, but I'd worry and generally prefer native SATA if reliability is important (as is implied by RAID 5).

Low-end RAID cards will all be some form of software RAID -- I'm not sure which if any will exceed the built-in performance. A better solution of course would be a higher-end HW RAID controller, which would have better performance, probably better management and features, and greater number of ports for expandability.
 
unhappy_mage said:
The 2200/2300 series highpoints are nice but sata.

Do you have any info on sustained RAID 5 write performance? A review that I saw (probably the 1st hit) wasn't very positive. I'd love to know about inexpensive RAID 5 solutions with good write performance.
 
unhappy_mage said:
The 2200/2300 series highpoints are nice but sata. Do you already have the IDE disks yet, or would buying sata be an option?

There's really not much out there that I can recommend for ide hardware raid. The Highpoint IDE series is probably okay, but I haven't used it.


i already have 6 ide drives waiting for a new home. want onboard sata raid 5 for later when i add more hdd's (sata).
 
Madwand said:
Do you have any info on sustained RAID 5 write performance? A review that I saw (probably the 1st hit) wasn't very positive. I'd love to know about inexpensive RAID 5 solutions with good write performance.
Yes. Write performance is ridiculously good, if you don't mind the CPU usage. They got ~350 MB/s write at 100% CPU usage on a single Opteron 240.

 
unhappy_mage said:
Yes. Write performance is ridiculously good, if you don't mind the CPU usage. They got ~350 MB/s write at 100% CPU usage on a single Opteron 240.

Yum. Might get one. Thanks.
 
unhappy_mage said:
The 2200/2300 series highpoints are nice but sata. Do you already have the IDE disks yet, or would buying sata be an option?

There's really not much out there that I can recommend for ide hardware raid. The Highpoint IDE series is probably okay, but I haven't used it.

from all I heard the 454 or 464 is 'ok' at best.
 
I saw a 2320 for $207 CAD. It looks like a good deal, so I placed the order. So now I'm expecting a call back saying "oops, we can't obtain it for you at that price / would you like a 2300 / etc."..
 
Madwand said:
I saw a 2320 for $207 CAD. It looks like a good deal, so I placed the order. So now I'm expecting a call back saying "oops, we can't obtain it for you at that price / would you like a 2300 / etc."..
wow... nice price, where's this at?
 
I have a promise fastrax sx4000 for sale. I will even throw in the 128MB stick of RAM for the cache. It can do RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5, JBOD. I paid aroud 200 brand new. I'm selling it for 50 bucks.
 
Madwand said:
I saw a 2320 for $207 CAD. It looks like a good deal, so I placed the order. So now I'm expecting a call back saying "oops, we can't obtain it for you at that price / would you like a 2300 / etc."..

You know, how sometimes you hate being right? Well...


Thank you for shopping at DirectDial.com.

This is an update regarding your order:

Please be advised that the Item RocketRAID 2320 is no longer being sold by DirectDial.com. We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Of course, what they really mean is that "We screwed up on the price, and you can't have it for that, but you can for $350 CAD. We hope you don't mind us wasting your time on this, and would really like more money."
 
Madwand said:
You know, how sometimes you hate being right? Well...




Of course, what they really mean is that "We screwed up on the price, and you can't have it for that, but you can for $350 CAD. We hope you don't mind us wasting your time on this, and would really like more money."
sorry to hear that. The link still works, but does show the $350 now :(
 
Back
Top