Advice/Suggestions needed...

jbmx4life

2[H]4U
I am looking for some help in setting up 2 computers for about $300-$400 each. Neither one of them needs to be spectacular in terms of performance or power. Both of them will be used for web surfing, email checking, and other simple tasks. No gaming will be done on either of them. These 2 systems are going to my mom and sister. I will start out with what I got picked out/bought already:

Mom:
Antec New Solution NSK2480 Black/Silver MicroATX Desktop Computer Case 380W Power Supply - Retail - computer to be built around this case
StarTech BRACKETFDBK Bracket for 3.5" Floppy with Bezel - Retail
SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model SFD321B/LBL1 - OEM - YES this is needed for somethings that are on floppy's
PHILIPS 2-Tone DVD Burner - Retail - I like this one cuz it kinda goes with the case

$186.86 w/shipping

^^ Nothing above has been purchased as of yet. If someone has a better suggestion on the case/psu, go ahead and shoot but I thought that was the best deal. Case needs to stay the same style if you do make a suggestion though.

Sis:
Rocketfish™ - Aluminum Full-Tower Case - Black - Scored for $50.xx
Thermaltake Thunderblade A1928 120mm Green LED Case Fan - Retail - Sis likes green...
Antec earthwatts EA380 ATX12V v2.0 380W Power Supply - Retail - Seen lots of people raving about this psu, will it be enough though?
SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model SFD321B/LBL1 - OEM
LITE-ON Black 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM

$132.95 w/shipping - price of case not to be included

^^ Only thing purchased above is the case.

I think that basically all I need is a mobo/cpu/ram combo suggestion for each. On-board video would prolly be more than enough for what each of them does (considering my mom is already on on-board video and sis has a video card that can prolly be beaten out by today's on-board solutions). LMK what you guys think and what suggestions you have.

TIA,
J

Considering your sister and mom's needs, I don't think a built PC is the more cost-effective choice. If you look around, you can find many great deals on Dell desktops that often come with a LCD monitor for around $400. Considering the price of OS, it's really more cost-effective to go with a pre-built PC.

With that said, if you already have two legit OS keys and monitors, really want to build a PC or have some sort of special need that can't be met with a prebuilt, I recommend the following CPU/Mobo/RAM combo:

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2180 CPU - $70
Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L Intel G31 mATX Motherboard - $67
G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ 2 x 1GB DDR2 800 RAM - $44
----
Total: $181 plus tax and shipping

And yes the Earthwatts 380W is more than enough power for those kind of PCs.

They both already have 19" flat screen CRT's so I am set on the monitors. Also already have the keyboard/mouse/speakers and OS.

Back