• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Advice on New Card Please.

Fazzar

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 22, 2004
Messages
290
I have a 280gtx... BFG flavor. It failed and I sent it back for repair and they returned another 280gtx that doesn't work either.

So I'm in the market for a card:

  • I'd like a decent price/fps ratio
  • I'd like an fps improvement over the 280gtx
  • I'd like something that runs cooler that the 280gtx
  • I'd like some very stable as I'm sick of BSODs
  • I run everything in 2560x1600 if I can (my monitor's native)

I'm leaning towards a Radeon HD 5870. Thoughts on card and the best manufacturer?
 
Last edited:
Send it back and get another card. GTX 460 1gb will run a little faster in most games.

HD 5870 of course will be that out but cost more.

I go with EVGA.
 
Agreed: 460 1GB = Best bang per buck and just about all you need currently for 1920x1080 gaming.

If you do go 5870 I like the Gigabyte one with the non-reference cooler and the 6 pins on the top of card.
 
Thanks for the quick responses. BFG won't take any more returns as they are going out of business, so unfortunately my current 280gtx will become a door-stop.

I run everything I can in 2560x1600 as this is my monitor's native resolution.... I forgot to mention that initially.
 
gtx 460 in sli if you have sli ready board and min of 650watt psu or gtx 470
 
Yes, the HD5870 is probably the way to go; faster and cooler. XFX, Asus, Gigabtye are the manufactures I look at first, but only 2 I avoid are HIS and Visiontek.

The GTX460 is not any better than your old GTX280.
 
HD 5870 you should be able to wrangle one for $300 on here. couple XFX's floating around with lifetime warranties.
 
The GTX460 is not any better than your old GTX280.

Well I know that in most tests I've seen, the 460 has beaten the 285s by about 10%-20% at least, so I'd bet the 460 would at least be 25%-30% faster then a 280 in most games. I've seen other tests, but you can reference this one I just remembered off the top of my head. The difference should at least be noticeable.

I was kind of in the same boat as OP. I had a BFG GTX 280 OC die on me and they sent me a GTX 285 OC back. I thought that was pretty sweet until I started trying to game on it and it was artifacting and glitching out like crazy. I already had 2x 285s though, so I didn't miss it that much. But I did try to bake it and I put it in my older PC. After that it works great at long as I downclock it to stock GTX 285 speeds (as opposed to the factory OC it comes with). If I don't do that, then it skips a lot, but no artifacting.

So for the hell of it, I would try to bake it, OP. If you really want a new card, a 5870 is definitely a nice card, but I think the 460 is a much better value and I'm sure you would see a considerable performance increase. Check out this Hot deal for a 465 for only $168 after $30 MIR (this might be unlockable to a 470 too). I would prolly jump on that if I needed a card right now.
 
Last edited:
Well I know that in most tests I've seen, the 460 has beaten the 285s by about 10%-20% at least, so I'd bet the 460 would at least be 25%-30% faster then a 280 in most games. I've seen other tests, but you can reference this one I just remembered off the top of my head. The difference should at least be noticeable.

I was kind of in the same boat as OP. I had a BFG GTX 280 OC die on me and they sent me a GTX 285 OC back. I thought that was pretty sweet until I started trying to game on it and it was artifacting and glitching out like crazy. I already had 2x 285s though, so I didn't miss it that much. But I did try to bake it and I put it in my older PC. After that it works great at long as I downclock it to stock GTX 285 speeds (as opposed to the factory OC it comes with). If I don't do that, then it skips a lot, but no artifacting.

So for the hell of it, I would try to bake it, OP. If you really want a new card, a 5870 is definitely a nice card, but I think the 460 is a much better value and I'm sure you would see a considerable performance increase. Check out this Hot deal for a 465 for only $168 after $30 MIR (this might be unlockable to a 470 too). I would prolly jump on that if I needed a card right now.

i think your numbers are a bit exaggerated on the gtx 460 performance increase over a 280. from what i have read in dx10 mode the 460 is maybe 5% faster.

i think that at the op's resolution he would be dissapointed with dx11 games and the amount of eyecandy you can turn on. you really should be looking at a 5870 or a gtx 480 as others have stated.
 
I just noticed that I quoted the wrong person, hah.

I guarentee the 460 will be more than 5% faster than a 280. But I also agree that you should be shooting for at least a 470/5870 or faster for that resolution. I will always prefer one more powerful card over 2x less powerful cards too (I.e 480 > 460 SLI) just due to less heat, power and complications/driver issues/support.
 
I have a 280gtx... BFG flavor. It failed and I sent it back for repair and they returned another 280gtx that doesn't work either.

So I'm in the market for a card:

  • I'd like a decent price/fps ratio
  • I'd like an fps improvement over the 280gtx
  • I'd like something that runs cooler that the 280gtx
  • I'd like some very stable as I'm sick of BSODs
  • I run everything in 2560x1600 if I can (my monitor's native)

I'm leaning towards a Radeon HD 5870. Thoughts on card and the best manufacturer?

XFX 5870, I love their double lifetime warranty. :)
 
Thanks everyone, I bought a XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
 
Nice. That should do you well. You get a good deal on it?
 
you could've saved some money, if you got another 280gtx and sli for roughly $130-180 on ebay.
 
For just a bit more money 2 GTX 460s in SLI kills that 5870. Anyway, the 5870 is still a good card.

Enjoy!
 
Back
Top