Advice on HHD, SSD, Drives

fmkenner

n00b
Hi everyone, this being my first post my name is Fred. I need alittle help with my first build. I did lurk around reading everything I could to make my decisions but I'm stuck on HHD, SSD drives and DVD and Blu-Ray drives. I'm so burnt on reading I was hoping for some help. Here is what I bought so far.

Mother board- Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0366668
CPU- i7 2600K
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354587
CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0315397
Power Supply- Corsair TX850M
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0365788
Video Card- Diamound Redeon HD 6950
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0376943
Ram- 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Computer Case- Cooler Master 932 HAF
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0293547

Thats everything, just have to firgure which HHD, SSD and drtves to go with. Haven't really gamed or overclocked but this is my learning build so this applies. I want to take advantage of Asus SRT technology. What I plan on doing is getting a 64 GB SSD just for the system cache (SRT), getting a 120 GB SSD for OS and other drives to load, and some other HHD for just data and such. Any help on what to look for, brands to look at or stay away from. Here is what I may need help with.
SSD 128 GB
SSD 64 GB
HHD 500GB to 1TB
DVD Drive
Blu-Ray Drive
Monitor

I wanted to just get 2 SSD drive as not to partition one, figured it would be easier to do it this way. Thanks again for any input.
Fred

SRT is designed to benefit people using HDDs as their primary drives. If you have a good SSD, it's better for you to use that as your primary drive.

But rather than guess what you're using this system for, please answer the questions listed in the "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST" sticky.

Typically, the Deluxe version of that motherboard is not a good choice - it is much more expensive than the vanilla -V, or the PRO, for just a few extra features (extra SATA 6GB, etc). If you don't need all the extras from the Deluxe, you can save quite a bit by getting the -V or the PRO.

SRT is designed to benefit people using HDDs as their primary drives. If you have a good SSD, it's better for you to use that as your primary drive.

But rather than guess what you're using this system for, please answer the questions listed in the "ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS FIRST" sticky.
Thanks for the repy:
1- I'm learning on this computer, gaming overclocking, home use.
2- I'm guessing the 128 SSD will be around $200, the 64 SSD will be around $100, the HHD will be around $100. The drives maybe $40 to $100. Really need what to look for in this area.
3- United States, Michigan
4- 128 SSD, 64 SSD, 500GB to 1TB HHD, DVD w/r drive, Blu-Ray drive.
5- This is my first/new build. All new parts. Bought a Corsair TX850M power suppy to be used.
6- I will be learning to overclock.
7- Don't have a monitor. Need adise there too. Won't mind a dual, but unsure what to look for.
8- I'm building it now. Getting the parts together, gave a list in my first post what I bought.
9- Not sure about features for mother boards. I purchased the Asus P8Z68 Deluxe. This is my first build.
10- I will be buying my OS. The Window 7, not sure if I want the home or ultimate version.

I do understand SRT is to help your HHD. I was going to put all all my data, games etc on my HDD. The 128 SSD was only going to be for my OS, drivers, maybe other programs. Wanted to use a separate 64 SSD for the cache system instead of partioning. I figured this would be the best set up for me to learn, even learn about the new feature SRT. Did I over think this? I did do alot of reading in the past couple of weeks. I just want this first build to be positive, even last for awhile. So far I put about $1300 into what I bought so far. Was going to get the rest from best buy as I have a card with them.
Thanks in advance.
Fred

Typically, the Deluxe version of that motherboard is not a good choice - it is much more expensive than the vanilla -V, or the PRO, for just a few extra features (extra SATA 6GB, etc). If you don't need all the extras from the Deluxe, you can save quite a bit by getting the -V or the PRO.

Thanks, in for a penny in for a pound. Already got it. Not sure where I will go with this but I will have the features.

Thanks, in for a penny in for a pound. Already got it. Not sure where I will go with this but I will have the features.

Ok, what parts did you already buy? Everything in that list?

Also, you might want to ask Asus if your planned setup is possible because AFAIK, that setup won't work at all.

In any case, SSD wise, go for the Crucial m4 series SSDs.

I don't think you really need to use a second SSD as a cache, if that setup will even work with SRT.

I think you'd be better off with a single, larger SSD as a primary drive to go along with a large HDD for data storage. You can then move programs that don't need the benefits of the SSD to the HDD using symbolic links if you wanted.

As far as a monitor, I think a 1080p would be a good solution for that card. It's what I use and I've been happy with it.

You don't really want just a two-monitor solution for gaming as most games will cut your avatar in the middle. That's why its generally 1 or 3 nowadays. 2 screens is great for office productivity though. 2 would be useful if you played on 1 monitor and had the second monitor up for checking messages, email, other things in real-time, etc.

Ok, what parts did you already buy? Everything in that list?

Also, you might want to ask Asus if your planned setup is possible because AFAIK, that setup won't work at all.

In any case, SSD wise, go for the Crucial m4 series SSDs.

Thanks for the response. What I bought was:

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
i7 2600K
CPU Cooler- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Power suppy- Corsair Enthusiast series Modular TX850M
Diamond Radeon HD 6950 2G ram
Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR3 ram
Computer case- Cooler Master 932 HAF

I did alot of reading reviews on this site and looking at different advises using simular set ups. This is what I came up with, wasnt sure what SSD to use. I did see a earlier post of yours recommending the Crucial M4 series, so I was leaning that way but there are so many different ones. I was getting burnt out trying to find stuff to read on it. Any suggestions on a HHD for data storage?

BTW- After I read your post I did write Asus to see if my set up will work. Thanks for the response.

I don't think you really need to use a second SSD as a cache, if that setup will even work with SRT.

I think you'd be better off with a single, larger SSD as a primary drive to go along with a large HDD for data storage. You can then move programs that don't need the benefits of the SSD to the HDD using symbolic links if you wanted.

As far as a monitor, I think a 1080p would be a good solution for that card. It's what I use and I've been happy with it.

You don't really want just a two-monitor solution for gaming as most games will cut your avatar in the middle. That's why its generally 1 or 3 nowadays. 2 screens is great for office productivity though. 2 would be useful if you played on 1 monitor and had the second monitor up for checking messages, email, other things in real-time, etc.

Maybe I was over thinking it. The second SSD (64GB deticated to the SRT as cache) was planned to be used to access my larger HHD. My larger one (128GB) was only for the OS and drivers. I kinda thought I did pretty good finding what I needed, so far, and not asking for help. Any way I did write Asus asking about this set up, waiting for a response. So with monitors its the resolution I look for? What about refresh time, or does that even matter theses days. The two monitor thing looked pretty cool going into my bosses office. Even seems like a new refreshing look to my first, and new build, but I'm not sure about that. If the price is right after all of this maybe.

Thanks for the reply.
Fred

You're seriously overthinking things. Stick with the 128GB SSD (I recommend the Crucial M4) as your primary drive and get a 1-2TB 7200RPM hard drive for your secondary/storage drive (performance-wise, the new Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drive is one of the best around). We try to practice what we preach here; many of us have that exact (similar, if not identical) setup in our own systems.

For the OS, let's keep it simple: Go for an OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium.

What's the model number of the Corsair RAM that you bought? (I know that they're part of the Vengeance series, but that's not what I'm looking for.) My concern is that the height of the heatspreaders may cause problems with the Hyper 212 Plus heatsink.

Since you're still trying to figure things out, just buy one 1920x1080 monitor for now. Ideally, you should be looking at a 5ms or faster refresh time. The good brands that I know of are Acer, HP, Dell, Asus, LG, and Samsung. (I can't vouch for other manufacturers.) LED backlighting and 3D technology aren't "must have" features, especially if you aren't trying to spend a lot of money (less than $300 for a good 23 or 24 inch monitor).

I think you are over thinking it a little bit. You will be able to fit a lot more than you think on a 128GB SSD. Even more as you move up in size. You should easily be able to fit Windows 7, a few other must-have programs and a handful of games.

On my 148GB array, I've got Windows 7, Microsoft Office Pro 2010 with all the goodies, a bloated Antivirus, and 6 sizeable games (ranging between 5-30GB each) and probably a bunch more crap I just haven't deleted or moved to my HDD and I've got 15GB free on a bad day.

I have the rest of my Steam games backed up to my 1TB HDD along with photos, videos, etc and it's about half full at the moment.

You're seriously overthinking things. Stick with the 128GB SSD (I recommend the Crucial M4) as your primary drive and get a 1-2TB 7200RPM hard drive for your secondary/storage drive (performance-wise, the new Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drive is one of the best around). We try to practice what we preach here; many of us have that exact (similar, if not identical) setup in our own systems.

For the OS, let's keep it simple: Go for an OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium.

What's the model number of the Corsair RAM that you bought? (I know that they're part of the Vengeance series, but that's not what I'm looking for.) My concern is that the height of the heatspreaders may cause problems with the Hyper 212 Plus heatsink.

Since you're still trying to figure things out, just buy one 1920x1080 monitor for now. Ideally, you should be looking at a 5ms or faster refresh time. The good brands that I know of are Acer, HP, Dell, Asus, LG, and Samsung. (I can't vouch for other manufacturers.) LED backlighting and 3D technology aren't "must have" features, especially if you aren't trying to spend a lot of money (less than $300 for a good 23 or 24 inch monitor).

Ok I'm getting the Crucial M4 SSD and the Hitache HHD. Got the monitor thing, will check that out in the store. Was looking at this for a DVD burner:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+24x+Internal+Double-Layer+DVD%26%23177%3BRW/CD-RW+Drive/9402247.p?skuId=9402247&id=1218099651274#tabbed-customerreviews

This is the Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram I bought:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0360144

I read about that heat sink problem after I got the ram. Some had problems, some didnt. Any suggestions for ram if I got the problem one?

I think you are over thinking it a little bit. You will be able to fit a lot more than you think on a 128GB SSD. Even more as you move up in size. You should easily be able to fit Windows 7, a few other must-have programs and a handful of games.

On my 148GB array, I've got Windows 7, Microsoft Office Pro 2010 with all the goodies, a bloated Antivirus, and 6 sizeable games (ranging between 5-30GB each) and probably a bunch more crap I just haven't deleted or moved to my HDD and I've got 15GB free on a bad day.

I have the rest of my Steam games backed up to my 1TB HDD along with photos, videos, etc and it's about half full at the moment.

This is my first ever build so yea problably did over think. I dont want any issues, and barely know enough to build this. But Im taking the plunge and doing it. I read about that new tech SRT so I figured to incorporate that into my build. Its a new thing, not alot to review on it, so why not. This is my learning build, want a few bells on it and to last abit. Could of gone with the i5 2500k and saved alot, but I was looking ahead abit and want to grow as things start to change.

The DVD burner, IMO, is overpriced compared to what you could get online or in store at a Fry's or Micro Center.

You need to find RAM with shorter (or no) heatspreaders. If you can, return the Corsair RAM and buy the following online:

$39 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Thanks. I was hoping I didnt have the ram with the heatsink issuses. I hate shopping, just want to do it right the first time then spend the day figuring it out. Well I do have my list, hopefully tomorrow I get everything, or close, I need and start my build.

Im quite sure I missed something, card readers come to mind, but this seems small. I really appreaciate all the advise and help. Now with you tube and my brother in laws help I can pull it together.

Thanks again.
Fred

Back