Advice on Build

Sharik

n00b
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
44
Finally the day has come and I've decided to get a new computer. So here I am, after restless months of scavenging for various parts, I'm ready to put them all together. My dilemma is that the parts cost me a pretty large amount and this is only my second build (first one was under $500 :D ) So I am in desperate need of your advice, comments, and warnings on how to avoid a potential disaster.

Currently the parts in my possesion:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester Socket 939 CPU (retail box)
Gigabyte K8 Triton GA-K8NF-9 Motherboard
Corsair 1GB PC 3200 XMS dual channel RAM
Enermax 460w EG465P-VE FM 24-Pin Dual Fan PSU
Seagate 200GB SATA HD
Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Case
and last but not least a retail ATI RADEON X800 XL :)

there's also the monitor, floppy, cd drives, but i dont think they should be my main priority just yet.

Thank you for your assistance, hope to get alot of replies :D
 
How much do you intend to spend on all this?

I arranged my own XL system (I have 3 diffrent systems planned, depending on how much money I have in 2 months, the only diffrence between them is that one is an X800XL system, one is an X800XT system, and another is a X850XT system)

the parts you laid out are pretty much exactly like mine

...................$1524 FULL EVERYTHING TOTAL..................


:______________________________________________________________________
|
Corsair Value Select 1GB (2x512MB)......$197| Canada Computers |
Compaq Black PS/2 Multimedia Keyboard....$10| |
Seagate 80GB S-ATA, 8MB cache............$87| |
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Blue 350W.....$115| |
........................................$471|* Total |
|
LOGITECH MX500 OPTICAL MOUSE.............$25| Factory Direct |
.........................................$29|* Total |
|
........................................$500|** Full Total+www.adpmods.com |

Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 nF4 4X...............$149| |
Athlon 64+ 3200 RETAIL BOX..............$242| |
Sapphire Radeon X800XL..................$499| |
.......................................$1024|** Total |

So ya its a prety good setup, the only problem is that the XL, from what I hear, Isnt a great OCer
_____________________________________________________________________________|
 
I spent around $1700-1800 CDN, didnt buy the monitor yet (another $400- 500 CDN) and my savings gone. That's why I need your aid, so I don't screw up something important and go bankrupt for nothing... :(

btw, these guys claim that the XL is very much underclocked, therefore it could be clocked to beat x800 pro and almost match x850

http://guru3d.com/article/Videocards/177/7/

Quote: "We pushed everything to 443/563 where things remained 100% stable."

Edit: Hate_bot, are those CANADIAN prices? :p
 
I'm also planning on buying a LCD monitor. Are there any benefits of it over the CRT besided the width?
 
Sharik said:
I'm also planning on buying a LCD monitor. Are there any benefits of it over the CRT besided the width?

It uses less power which is helpful if you have everything plugged into a UPS or something like that. Personally, I have a 19" CRT (which I could probably use to heat my apartment), but I'm definitely looking at a 19" LCD if I can get a good deal on one :).
 
Back
Top