Advice needed!

MysticD

n00b
Hello, looooong time lurker, first time poster. Looking for some advice/opinions on my next display purchase.

I currently have a 50" LG Plasma tv (50PK250) which I use as main display on my computer, and a 23" Acer (P235H) as secondary, both running at 1920x1080.
I've noticed the burn-in on the LG has gotten worse in the last month or so (takes considerably longer for it to go away) so I'm looking to replace it.

I'm building a new computer, I plan to buy a 4GB GTX680 ftw as soon as it is available, so with that in mind, here's my question:

Should I move up to a "smaller" higher resolution monitor (or 3), or stick with a mammoth HDTV? I do about 50/30/20 gaming/movies/browsing.

Well, it pretty much depends on your personal preferences. If you are generally comfortable with large screens, I would suggest a really large monitor with as high resolution as possible. 1920x1080 is a joke for GTX680, especially 4 GB.

The large screen doesn't bother me, I sit about 4'-5' away from it, but as you said 1920x1080 IS a joke for the GTX680, this is why I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. All I know is the plasma has got to go, at least as a main display. The monitors I have in mind are (of course) the U3011 and ZR30w, leaning towards the HP if I were to go that route.

I would never use a plasma display as a computer monitor due to the burn-in problems you have found.

Have you considered a projector as an alternative?

No I've never considered a projector as an alternative, the room the computer is in is usually bright, not sure how much it would affect the image.

I've done a bit of research and it seems no one has gone down from a 50" hdtv to a 30" high-res monitor (at least no one has shared their experience). Still unsure about what I should get :-(

Please stop crying about burn-ins new plasma TV's don't have this problem anymore.

Last edited:
A friend has also a Plasma and he doesn't have burn-ins. But hey buy an IPS you will be happy with it like i was. IPS-Glow rocks and black's are also so much better then on a MVA or PVA panel and this aggressive AG coating makes the picture quality also a lot better. :D

Last edited:
I bought the plasma for that same reason, friend had one and he never had any burn-in problems, so it could be just the model I got, who knows.
I have a Thinkpad X220 with an IPS panel and it is gorgeous.

I like the ZR30w, seems to be the better choice for gaming, still don't know how much of a difference it would make to go down in screen size after using a 50" for 2 years.

Are you planning on running anything else though the display? (Xbox, bluray, etc) Be aware the zr30 really doesn't handle any other input types. I got one recently and generally feel like it's too big for the desk, can't really imagine using a 50" as a main display. But if that's what you are used to, I expect the 30" would be a pretty major adjustment.

The display size doesn't matter, what matters is the distance from the display. I had an IPS235P that one was a nightmare against my CRT but if you happy with an IPS got for it.

I think I'm gonna go for the ZR30w. I could read about the differences for a month and it will still not be the same as seeing it with my own eyes. A friend bought a 120ghz monitor recently so I'll be able to compare them side-by-side.
I really can't imagine myself using a smaller screen as main display, but I can always keep the 50" nearby and use for movies and whatnot.

I really can't imagine myself using a smaller screen as main display, but I can always keep the 50" nearby and use for movies and whatnot.

As you say, it's only the matter of distance, so what's the problem? Sit closer to the 30-incher and that should do it, methinks.

As you say, it's only the matter of distance, so what's the problem? Sit closer to the 30-incher and that should do it, methinks.

The original problem was deciding what to get- that's solved. The new problem was that I couldn't sit any closer as my desk didn't allow it, but I got myself a nice desk from Ikea which I've seen several people here use :D can definitely sit closer on that one, that should solve all problems!

The original problem was deciding what to get- that's solved. The new problem was that I couldn't sit any closer as my desk didn't allow it, but I got myself a nice desk from Ikea which I've seen several people here use :D can definitely sit closer on that one, that should solve all problems!

I see. Glad to hear it's all settled. :)

Just ordered a ZR30w from Amazon, if all goes well I should have it by next week.

Back