• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Advice needed!

MysticD

n00b
Joined
May 5, 2012
Messages
11
Hello, looooong time lurker, first time poster. Looking for some advice/opinions on my next display purchase.

I currently have a 50" LG Plasma tv (50PK250) which I use as main display on my computer, and a 23" Acer (P235H) as secondary, both running at 1920x1080.
I've noticed the burn-in on the LG has gotten worse in the last month or so (takes considerably longer for it to go away) so I'm looking to replace it.

I'm building a new computer, I plan to buy a 4GB GTX680 ftw as soon as it is available, so with that in mind, here's my question:

Should I move up to a "smaller" higher resolution monitor (or 3), or stick with a mammoth HDTV? I do about 50/30/20 gaming/movies/browsing.
 
Well, it pretty much depends on your personal preferences. If you are generally comfortable with large screens, I would suggest a really large monitor with as high resolution as possible. 1920x1080 is a joke for GTX680, especially 4 GB.
 
The large screen doesn't bother me, I sit about 4'-5' away from it, but as you said 1920x1080 IS a joke for the GTX680, this is why I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. All I know is the plasma has got to go, at least as a main display. The monitors I have in mind are (of course) the U3011 and ZR30w, leaning towards the HP if I were to go that route.
 
I would never use a plasma display as a computer monitor due to the burn-in problems you have found.

Have you considered a projector as an alternative?
 
No I've never considered a projector as an alternative, the room the computer is in is usually bright, not sure how much it would affect the image.

I've done a bit of research and it seems no one has gone down from a 50" hdtv to a 30" high-res monitor (at least no one has shared their experience). Still unsure about what I should get :-(
 
Please stop crying about burn-ins new plasma TV's don't have this problem anymore.
 
Last edited:
A friend has also a Plasma and he doesn't have burn-ins. But hey buy an IPS you will be happy with it like i was. IPS-Glow rocks and black's are also so much better then on a MVA or PVA panel and this aggressive AG coating makes the picture quality also a lot better. :D
 
Last edited:
I bought the plasma for that same reason, friend had one and he never had any burn-in problems, so it could be just the model I got, who knows.
I have a Thinkpad X220 with an IPS panel and it is gorgeous.

I like the ZR30w, seems to be the better choice for gaming, still don't know how much of a difference it would make to go down in screen size after using a 50" for 2 years.
 
Are you planning on running anything else though the display? (Xbox, bluray, etc) Be aware the zr30 really doesn't handle any other input types. I got one recently and generally feel like it's too big for the desk, can't really imagine using a 50" as a main display. But if that's what you are used to, I expect the 30" would be a pretty major adjustment.
 
The display size doesn't matter, what matters is the distance from the display. I had an IPS235P that one was a nightmare against my CRT but if you happy with an IPS got for it.
 
I think I'm gonna go for the ZR30w. I could read about the differences for a month and it will still not be the same as seeing it with my own eyes. A friend bought a 120ghz monitor recently so I'll be able to compare them side-by-side.
I really can't imagine myself using a smaller screen as main display, but I can always keep the 50" nearby and use for movies and whatnot.
 
I really can't imagine myself using a smaller screen as main display, but I can always keep the 50" nearby and use for movies and whatnot.

As you say, it's only the matter of distance, so what's the problem? Sit closer to the 30-incher and that should do it, methinks.
 
As you say, it's only the matter of distance, so what's the problem? Sit closer to the 30-incher and that should do it, methinks.

The original problem was deciding what to get- that's solved. The new problem was that I couldn't sit any closer as my desk didn't allow it, but I got myself a nice desk from Ikea which I've seen several people here use :D can definitely sit closer on that one, that should solve all problems!
 
The original problem was deciding what to get- that's solved. The new problem was that I couldn't sit any closer as my desk didn't allow it, but I got myself a nice desk from Ikea which I've seen several people here use :D can definitely sit closer on that one, that should solve all problems!

I see. Glad to hear it's all settled. :)
 
Just ordered a ZR30w from Amazon, if all goes well I should have it by next week.
 
Back
Top