• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Advice needed

testocp

n00b
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
20
I have about $300-$350 to spend on a motherboard and processor. I am a grad student and have some processor intensive computations to run (each took around 12 hours on a Core Duo 6400 that I had over the summer at an internship). I am also a gamer (and already have a video card), but I don't need SLI.

I am currently considering the Abit IP35 and a Core 2 Duo E6750. Are there other options I should consider?

Thank you.
 
Nope, decent HS if you intend to overclock it, some PC6400 (800MHz) memory and you are good to go. Walk in the park to have it running at 3.2GHz 24 x 7.
 
If the applications are multi threaded, go with a Q6600 and a Gigabyte DS3L or Abit IP35E, that should be right near your budget, and if the software is multi threaded, the quad will far outperform a dual core.
 
I recently snapped my DS3L board in half due to aggravating cold boot issues and am looking to pick up the Abit IP-35-E. :D
 
kamel, when did you last update your bios?

anyways +1 for quadcore and cheapo P35, if its in the budget. Theres always (AL:WAYS) a +$20 and zomg 1000kX more perforamnce. In your case its dual -> quad core.

And if you entend to oc either, get an after market cooled.
 
kamel, when did you last update your bios?

I updated to the latest for that board (F5) which didn't do jack for me. I dealt with the cold boot issue for 2 months (using sleep mode whenever I could) but after one cold boot it wouldn't take any OC settings that I had previously been running just fine before. I spent 2 hours in reboot hell reseting CMOS settings each time and finally I said "fuck it" removed the motherboard, threw it on the ground and stomped the hell out of it. :D

Just ordered the Abit IP-35-E today so I'll see how that board treats me.
 
The Abit IP35-E has the *double boot* issue. You may want to check if there is a bios out that fixes that problem for that board.
 
The Abit IP35-E has the *double boot* issue. You may want to check if there is a bios out that fixes that problem for that board.

I did some reading on that issue beforehand and I found that there is a beta bios that appears to fix the issue.

Link
 
I found out today that the main application I am using is not multi-threaded. Knowing that, I assume I should go with the 6750 instead of the quad core.
 
Can you please describe the "cold boot issue"? I think I have a similar problem with my board (P35-DS3L). I can randomly overclock the Q6600 sometimes (more often, I cannot overclock it...only did it twice to 3.2 ghz at 400 mhz FSB/x8 multiplier) but once I shut down and turn on the computer, it basically does the restart loop and ends up with default settings once again. Now no matter what I use for FSB, it won't like it unless it's 266mhz. It just seems very weird and I'm glad someone else was experiencing something similar as me. Do you think it's gigabyte's fault? I might very well end up getting a new motherboard...

By the way, my temps during reclocking were at 50C load, so it was fine.

You have about the same specs as me Kamel overall.
 
Can you please describe the "cold boot issue"? I think I have a similar problem with my board (P35-DS3L). I can randomly overclock the Q6600 sometimes (more often, I cannot overclock it...only did it twice to 3.2 ghz at 400 mhz FSB/x8 multiplier) but once I shut down and turn on the computer, it basically does the restart loop and ends up with default settings once again. Now no matter what I use for FSB, it won't like it unless it's 266mhz. It just seems very weird and I'm glad someone else was experiencing something similar as me. Do you think it's gigabyte's fault? I might very well end up getting a new motherboard...

By the way, my temps during reclocking were at 50C load, so it was fine.

You have about the same specs as me Kamel overall.

You're describing the exact same problem I had. It would reset overclocks and could take anywhere from 1-10+ boots just to get those clocks back. I almost positive it is Gigabyte's fault with the DS3L board and overclocking. If I left everything stock, odds are it would boot up right away every time (a couple times it has not).

My advice to you is to ditch that board ASAP, its just not worth the frustration at all. I should be getting my Abit IP35-E today which is actually a bit cheaper then the DS3L and I'll be making a follow up post once everything is installed.
 
I'm wondering if we just got lemons because there are a lot of good reviews on newegg about this board. I'm just not sure whether I should exchange it and try again or ditch it now and try for an asus or something. I mean, I guess I have nothing to lose with exchanging because they don't return once you open the motherboard, so I'll see. I'd ideally like to spend less money on a motherboard, but I don't want to get a faulty board at the same time. I have a quad core as well. But yes, please do post results once you upgrade your computer to the Abit...i'd like to see it fixed hehe.

I'm eyeing the Asus P5K deluxe right now...
 
I'm wondering if we just got lemons because there are a lot of good reviews on newegg about this board. I'm just not sure whether I should exchange it and try again or ditch it now and try for an asus or something. I mean, I guess I have nothing to lose with exchanging because they don't return once you open the motherboard, so I'll see. I'd ideally like to spend less money on a motherboard, but I don't want to get a faulty board at the same time. I have a quad core as well. But yes, please do post results once you upgrade your computer to the Abit...i'd like to see it fixed hehe.

I'm eyeing the Asus P5K deluxe right now...

I made a topic here. So far I'm loving the Abit IP35-E, I overclocked to 3.6ghz right away and so far I'm Prime95 stable 2+ hours. I didn't even have to add a fan to the northbridge cooler since it doesn't get nearly as hot as the Gigabyte one.

I forgot to add that my DS3L was a Rev. 1 board and if yours is too that might mean the cold boot problem was fixed in Rev. 2.
 
Yeah mine was Rev. 1. I don't want to take any chances with Rev. 2 though haha. I don't know if the store I bought it from has Rev. 2 anyway. Man I've been battling this thing for a week...I just want to get something that overclocks and live on with my life!

I'm liking the Asus P5K Deluxe...seems kind of expensive though.
 
You did not specify to whom you were referring so I assumed it was me. Was this not the case?

Sorry, my suggestion was for the original poster asking what to do with $350. Sounds like he can benefit from quad cores so I was advising to jump to the quad core and not spend so much on a motherboard to fit into his budget.
 
Yeah mine was Rev. 1. I don't want to take any chances with Rev. 2 though haha. I don't know if the store I bought it from has Rev. 2 anyway. Man I've been battling this thing for a week...I just want to get something that overclocks and live on with my life!

I'm liking the Asus P5K Deluxe...seems kind of expensive though.

RMA the board.
 
I've ditched Gigabyte for the Asus. I got the store to let me do an exchange to the Asus, so I didn't end up with any extra hardware. So far, the new motherboard has been awesome...I'm overclocked to 3.2 ghz now (pretty easily too) and I'm trying for 3.6 ghz. Temps range from 25C to 45C idle to full load, so I'm sure I can get to 3.6 ghz--just need to play with some voltages. With that said, I don't want to jinx myself, but I'm pretty confident I can maintain this 3.2 ghz for the time being.

By the way, my particular motherboard now is the Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi/AP edition...it looks pretty nice and the copper complements my Zalman 9500 :). I'm happy I made the switch so far.

By the way, what were your settings for overclocking to 3.6 ghz with the quad core? I'm right now running cpu at 1.4V but nothing else has changed.
 
By the way, what were your settings for overclocking to 3.6 ghz with the quad core? I'm right now running cpu at 1.4V but nothing else has changed.

9 Multiplier and 400mhz FSB with a vcore of 1.4875v (1.440v after vdrop).
 
I'm liking the Asus P5K Deluxe...seems kind of expensive though.

A good, cheaper alternative would have been the P5K-E WiFi. Good luck with your OC. When you reach your goal, submit it to the OC database! ;)
 
I have decided to go with the Abit IP35 and a 6750. Is anyone here using the Thermaltake CL-P0372 with this board? I don't have much to spend on the cooler, and this seemed like it would fit. Newegg has it for ~$30.
 
Back
Top