Advice needed on organizaing SSD

mmarsh

Limp Gawd
My HD are beginning to die. So I am thinking of replacing them with a SSD. What I don't understand is due to their low capacity how people set up their PCs. I have about 400GB on my main HDD. This is only apps, data is on a separate drive.

The highest capacity I can afford is 256GB. 256 is not enough to install all my apps, how do people get around this? I see people buying 128GB SSD how do they manage.

I mainly game, but I have things like Office, Antivirus and various other utilities for a variety of different things. I get that all my data will be on a separate drive, in fact its already done. What I don't understand is how people squeeze all there apps on 128/256GB. Win7 by itself will already gobble about 10% of that on its own.

What I am asking is what is the most efficient way to manage all my apps given the limited disk space on the SSD.

OR do I bother? Just get two regular old 7200 RPM Drives and setup RAID 0???

Most people have a small SSD just for the OS and the most critical apps that they need. The rest of programs and data are storage/installed onto fast hard drives like the Samsung F3 1TB.

That's pretty much the most common SSD setup out there: SSD + secondary fast HDD.

do you need all 400GB of apps to open 10 seconds faster? considering its going to cost $1.50/GB to do that, versus $0.08/GB if you dont mind waiting a few extra seconds.

My OS partition, which is on a 128GB SSD, is 60GB used, and that includes a few games and programs i want to be faster. i have 3 other 1TB+ HDDs for stuff that i dont need the speed for.

You can use symbolic links (link shell extension is a good program to automate it) to seamlessly store stuff on a mechanical hard drive, that appears to still be on the C drive. Works great. If you search the forum for symbolic links you should find some good informative threads on it.

do you need all 400GB of apps to open 10 seconds faster? considering its going to cost $1.50/GB to do that, versus $0.08/GB if you dont mind waiting a few extra seconds.

My OS partition, which is on a 128GB SSD, is 60GB used, and that includes a few games and programs i want to be faster. i have 3 other 1TB+ HDDs for stuff that i dont need the speed for.

+1.

400GB of apps? That's a shitload. Just put your most-used apps on the SSD, or the ones that would benefit most from the extra speed.

Which 256GB drive are you looking at?

Yea, seriously get less apps. Ever since I got an SSD I haven't done anything different.

I tried to put some stuff on a network store but MacOS doesn't seem to like that and I don't feel like setting up NFS.

screenshot20101225at127.png

even a 128GB drive should be fine for the apps you actually use. there are ways, say to get steam to use both the hard drive and the ssd at the same time.

Back