Advice needed on 2 year old setup

Switey

n00b
I have been out of the loop on video cards the last couple years. The last computer I put together, and am using, is a barebones Dell Inspiron 530 and the following components:

Intel Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHZ
4 gigs memory
FoxConn DG33M03 Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
350 W PS-6351-2 (link bellow to show connections)
http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-6050/Dell-Vostro-420-Power/Detail

I just did a fresh install with windows 7 64bit and 3d games still don't get very good fps on normal settings. I see the new video cards have a power supply hookup.

I guess what im asking is:

1. Should / can I get a new video card considering my powersupply. (Is the powersupply hookup on newer cards necessary)
2. Please recommend some video cards that will take advantage of my other components. Price range $100 - $350

I really appreciate the advice!

It depends. Are you willing to upgrade to a new power supply or you just want to swap the GPU?

If it's the latter, then I believe a 5670 would work as it doesn't require a 12V+ PCI-E connector.

I have been out of the loop on video cards the last couple years. The last computer I put together, and am using, is a barebones Dell Inspiron 530 and the following components:

Intel Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHZ
4 gigs memory
FoxConn DG33M03 Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
350 W PS-6351-2 (link bellow to show connections)
http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-6050/Dell-Vostro-420-Power/Detail

I just did a fresh install with windows 7 64bit and 3d games still don't get very good fps on normal settings. I see the new video cards have a power supply hookup.

I guess what im asking is:

1. Should / can I get a new video card considering my powersupply. (Is the powersupply hookup on newer cards necessary)
2. Please recommend some video cards that will take advantage of my other components. Price range $100 - $350

I really appreciate the advice!

Dell has very weak PSU's normally. So a New Powersupply and video card should give you just about everything you need.

psu
Link1

GPU
link2

I would prefer to just swap cards. A new PS is not out of the question though.

I would go with something like what stevedave suggested, perhaps with a bigger powersupply. A 5770 would be a pretty big jump from an 8600 gt.

Yeah, you always could get a midrange GPU that doesn't require an external connector, but it would be more worth your money to get a decent PSU (something in the 450 - 500 watt range maybe) and get a higher end card. You'll be happy in the end that you spend the extra little bit of cash.

haha. Truth be told I did get a HD5770 2 weeks ago and had to send it back. It was 1. either incompatible with my motherboard or 2. didn't work because I couldn't hook it up to my PS. I read some forums about that series of cards having problems on older motherboards. It would not post anything on start up but powered up fine.

Lol, it's not because of your motherboard. You have to have the external connector connected for the card to work. It just plain won't work without it. Did you RMA it, or just straight up return for a refund? If you're gonna get it back, grab a new PSU and you're good to go.

you want/need a new PSU.

So you could off set the cost of that by getting a $70 9600GT

but you want/need a new psu first.

I don't know much about the 5770 but considering your not over-clocking I would think a high quality 400w psu like the one I linked should work.

DOH, I returned it for a refund :p Should have just gotten a new power supply. O well, $10 for shipping for a lesson learned. Thanks everyone who replied!

If you've been happy with an 8600 for this long though, you might not need something as powerful as a 5770. Maybe look into something along the lines of the 9600 linked above or a 4650, 4670 or any of the ones in that range. But upgrading to the 5770 would be a HUGE improvement over your current GPU.

HUGE improvement FTW! Going to pull the trigger on the linked PSU (CORSAIR 400W) and GPU (HD5770) posted by stevedave here pretty soon I think. I didn't realized my GPU was so outdated but glad to hear it is :)

HUGE improvement FTW! Going to pull the trigger on the linked PSU (CORSAIR 400W) and GPU (HD5770) posted by stevedave here pretty soon I think. I didn't realized my GPU was so outdated but glad to hear it is :)

Personally I like some breathing room as far as power goes. That 400w unit is solid and will handle a 5770, but you might want to consider spending a little more and getting something with a bit more grunt, like this Corsair 550w unit ($30 more than the 400w after MIR): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

Dell has very weak PSU's normally. So a New Powersupply and video card should give you just about everything you need.

I agree. I had a Dell 750 watt and it would have trouble with 2 8800GT's in SLI with a Q6600 and 2 HDD system. You can get some considerable nice PSU's for little money which would allow you to upgrade to whatever ya want.

I would also recommend overclocking that Q6600. It is very easily done and will drastically increase your performance

Last edited:
I agree. I had a Dell 750 watt and it would have trouble with 2 8800GT's in SLI with a Q6600 and 2 HDD system. You can get some considerable nice PSU's for little money which would allow you to upgrade to whatever ya want.

I would also recommend overclocking that Q6600. It is very easily done and will drastically increase your performance

With it being an OEM system, there's probably very few if any overclocking functions in the bios. You know, us dumb consumers can't be trusted with such complicated things.:D

With it being an OEM system, there's probably very few if any overclocking functions in the bios. You know, us dumb consumers can't be trusted with such complicated things.:D

My dell OEM system has fabulous overclocking abilities. Seeing as his built on barebones, and his motherboard is not OEM, he should be able to overclock. It is definitely worth the look into bios. Even my OEM 650i gives me the ability overclock (my Q6600 @ 3.3).

I've never overclocked anything before but just checked my bios and there is no option to increase the fsb that I could find. It's the newest bios from dell also. Dell is probably right though, i can't be trusted :)

Oh ok. It's been a while since I've used anything from the big computer companies. I wasn't aware they have so much ability.
Do you have any type of multiplier options or anything in the bios?

As long as that PSU has a good portion of the 350 watts on the 12v rail I think it will handle a 5770. Of course you will need an adaptor to get power to the card, but ever card i've purchased has those adaptors included.

I'm in a very similar boat. I've been out of the hardware scene for a few years.

I've been running my older setup of a 2.16 on a Gigabyte 965p-DS3 but with a 7950GT. I'm also looking to upgrade the video card but I have a 520w corsair unit in there already so I'm content on the PSU.

If money really isn't an option here what would be my best upgrade on the video card?

....I have a 520w corsair unit in there already so I'm content on the PSU.

If money really isn't an option here what would be my best upgrade on the video card?

HD 5870 1GB would still work with the Corsair 520HX.

Thanks for the reply Danny.

I had been looking at that card but I fear my mid size Lian-Li might not be able to accommodate its long length. I fear it will run right into the HDD cage. Is there anything else that may be a bit shorter? (I understand it will probably not be of the same performance level.)

Thanks for the reply Danny.

I had been looking at that card but I fear my mid size Lian-Li might not be able to accommodate its long length. I fear it will run right into the HDD cage. Is there anything else that may be a bit shorter? (I understand it will probably not be of the same performance level.)

HD 5850.

Agreed. Shorter yet and drawing even less power is a 5770. Admittedly its a noticeable step down from 5850 but depending on your gaming res its very usable

Going with the 5850. I see a lot of very positive reviews on the HIS model @ newegg. Thanks for the replies guys.

No doubt I'm in for a bottleneck issue. I plan to put together an i7 setup within the next few weeks though so I'm not all that concerned.

Because Im at 16x10 I went with just a 5770 with my i7 and even on Warhead everything enthusiast Im in that playable 25-35fps range. For anyone at 19x12 or greater than yes a 5850 certainly is advisable

Back