Advice for a layer 3 switch?

amrogers3

Gawd
Hello, I'm looking for recommendations for a layer 3 switch. I am trying to segment several IP cameras on a VLAN and prevent access to the internet. I would like to have one admin computer on a separate VLAN that can access the camera VLAN and manage the devices.

Something I can HTTPS into would be ideal. I bought a Ubiquiti Switch Pro 24 PoE and it is not great. I have to use a specific computer to administer the switch. Documentation is almost non-existent, and the GUI is not very user friendly. Settings are in all kind of weird places.

We use the HP/Aruba line where I am and I like them pretty well. You can admin by https, or SSL/Telnet/Serial. They also have a terminal command "menu" which gives you a menu over a terminal.

I don't have any specific recommendations because I don't know what's available. I need one with 4 SFP+ ports and... good luck!
Here is the 24 port model we have for reference: HP 2920-24G-PoE+ Switch (J9727A)

Thanks bigstu. Yep, you are right, totally forgot to say what I needed.

Looking for a 24 port PoE layer 3 switch with at least GB ports (1 GB is fine, dont need 10 GB).

You don't need a layer 3 switch to segment your network into vlan. I would suggest sticking with a layer 2 switch and do your routing elsewhere. It is much easier to maintain proper routing and security that way vs trying to do it in multiple places. Second the HP recommendation.

Back