Adobe Wants You To Use Voice Commands To Edit Photos

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This is going to be very useful for all of those times you had to edit a photo while operating a motor vehicle. Actually, I don’t know how anyone can even stand editing photos on a tablet.

Adobe noted that this is merely “a first step towards a robust multimodal voice-based interface which allows our creative customers to search and edit images in an easy and engaging way” on mobile – but it hasn’t confirmed whether it actually plans to build this out in 2017. Perhaps this would work for the most basic editing tasks, but beyond that, it doesn’t seem very useful for any sort of fine-grained control over your images. I can’t imagine adjusting tones and levels, applying effects like grain and cropping out unwanted elements accurately without getting my hands dirty.

Yeah, I'm going to say "no thanks" to this.

I don't even use voice commands for text messaging or music.

I can't see how this would possibly be a good idea.

I understand voice commands and digital assistants are all the popular rage right now, but that doesn't mean you have to go putting them in everything. There are places they make sense (even though I don't like using them there) and there are places they don't.

This is one of those where they don't.

And I'm with you. Apart from some basic cropping, I don't do any photo editing g on mobile devices.

The 80s and 90s had us believing we'd all be talking to our computers—that we'd want to talk to our computers. Even on mobile devices, I find using voice commands to be a necessary evil. I just feel like a fool talking to a device.

The 80s and 90s had us believing we'd all be talking to our computers—that we'd want to talk to our computers. Even on mobile devices, I find using voice commands to be a necessary evil. I just feel like a fool talking to a device.

I agree.

It's useful in theory, but in practice I find it mostly useless, between misinterpretations, the need for silence, and standing out if you are in public as "that douche talking to his phone".

The one area it is potentially useful is to minimize distraction while driving, but the truth here is that study after study have show that removing the use of hands with hands free devices and removing the visual distraction with voice commands and text-to-speech only partially solve the problem. It's the cognitive distraction which is the biggest issue, and that remains regardless of what we do.

This will be great! Hopefully they come out with an Apple watch version soon. I would like to be able to edit my 4k video from my auto following drone while driving while talking to my watch.

It just slows down workflow. Much quicker with a mouse. Tablet for editing is just a great way to slow down production.

I think it depends on how voice is used. For simple quick hits like web searches, dialing a number, sending a text, voice works very well. For things like editing documents it's not as useful.

I feel like voice is useful in some things like when I walk in the door "alexa turn on lights", and if she mistakes me, then its not a huge deal. When editing photos, doing the wrong thing costs time and money. Not to mention, I really don't want to work in the area where a bunch of people are talking to their computers in half statements. "copy" "undo, undo undo undo SHIT! redo"

zxl58Pv.jpg

The only command that made sense was the post to facebook. However I'd want it more interactive.

What I want/need from Adobe:
Option to buy lightroom permanently / update packs
Kill the need to for plugins to do simple things like mass publish my collection sets as folders.
Better selection tools
More publisher plugins.

What I need from the tech industry:
Give me demos that actually fit usage cases people will use, yes me but I don't think I'm asking for things that aren't average.
Sure the google assistant can look at my calendar, send messages find an esoteric restaurant and place a reservation through opentable. Great, but not my life style or usage case. the Google assistant cannot read my SMS (seriously!) I asked it to "read that message to me" and it said it couldn't read sms yet, that's bad but I'd want it to read any notice to me, let me select which one and read it to me and reply to anything I can reply to in the notification shade.
Google maps gives me great directions but no longer knows about road closures, wont tell me which way a cardinal direction is until I start driving.

I don't mind the idea of it. Especially considering their UI is so obtuse you borderline have to be trained how to do anything with it.
Yet I have no confidence about how things like this actually work in the real world. It almost never does what I want. Plus, if you already do know how to use Adobe CS, I have a feeling you can do things much quicker.
I see this as something for casual users and if it DOES work it could be huge for them.

I think they just want all their users to give them unfettered access to their microphones so they can record everything in case the nsa needs to find out what you had for lunch yesterday!!?

Yeah, I'm going to say "no thanks" to this.
I don't even use voice commands for text messaging or music.
I can't see how this would possibly be a good idea.
I understand voice commands and digital assistants are all the popular rage right now, but that doesn't mean you have to go putting them in everything. There are places they make sense (even though I don't like using them there) and there are places they don't.
This is one of those where they don't.
And I'm with you. Apart from some basic cropping, I don't do any photo editing g on mobile devices.
For what he did, I mostly agree (though this is a tablet, so I'm not sure what the normal UI is like), but if it was for full blown photoshop, that'd be very useful for newbs. Photoshop is not an easy UI by any stretch.

I don't mind the idea of it. Especially considering their UI is so obtuse you borderline have to be trained how to do anything with it.
Yet I have no confidence about how things like this actually work in the real world. It almost never does what I want. Plus, if you already do know how to use Adobe CS, I have a feeling you can do things much quicker.
I see this as something for casual users and if it DOES work it could be huge for them.

As with anything, if you know how to use it, it's quicker with a keyboard. Thus, everytime someone talks about changes to Windows Menu, I don't get it, because I just type what I want and it magically appears :D

Back