Adeptus Mechanicus Techno-Reliquary

Since this is my first post lemme just start by saying hi and thanks for the cool forum :)

[I wasn't sure if this should go in worklogs or just case modding.. I have started on it but won't have pics up for a couple days. thx]

Now for the background on this case mod -

This is actually a mod for a friend, I wanted to do an extravagant mod but I personally prefer a simple look for my stuff, so I convinced him to let me mod his case instead, heh. We discussed doing a Warhammer 40,000 themed case, anyone who's familiar with that game knows there's a wealth of possibilities there.

At first I considered more of a simple 'theme' case, which probably would have been a normal case with an Imperial Eagle window cutout and some black and yellow caution stripes or something, you know the usual 40k stuff... not really all that interesting and I like to go beyond the usual. Eventually we got it pinned down that he wanted it to be themed around the Adeptus Mecanicus, but he left any further details for me to figure out. So he turned his new case over to me and gave me some cash for materials.. that was about two years ago! Basically a combination of being too busy or not having a place to work on the case left it shelved for quite a while, so I really want to go all-out on this project to make up for the long wait. What I've decided on is to do more of a 'total conversion' than a 'mod', if that makes sense.

To summarize the Adeptus Mechanicus, they're basically a sort of cult in the Warhammer 40,000 world that worships all aspects of technology. Since technology is literally a religion for them, I've run with that idea to make something that fits the 40k universe but is still original: the case will be a relic containing the skull of a revered Tech-Mage, but equal to being a religious artefact, it is also a functional computer. So the theme will combine equal amounts of industrial technology and ornate decoration, making for a unique look. The case will be purposely designed to avoid looking like a contemporary computer, and instead will attempt to look more like the archaic 'medieval/biomechanical' technological style seen in Warhammer 40,000 artwork.

That's it for now, feedback appreciated.

Something scares me about that case......maybe it's the candles ;)

can't wait to see it.

a real human skull would make it a more authentic mod :p i kid i kid looks wicked

Looks like your concept is off to a great start. Looking forward to seeing how its going to turn out!

I really like the wax seals with the pieces of parchment.

and props to a fellow 3D modeller :D

I like the candles, it's always nice to see something different
I approve, get started! :D

Okay, here we go!

[Pics first, I'll edit with comments in a moment.]

I'm starting with the skull because it's the centerpiece of the mod, and I will need to build the case to fit it. So I want to know for sure how big it will all be before I start in on the case. I got this model kit online for about $25 a while ago.

Make your own joke... :p

I got an old busted SLR lens from my dad, which will be perfect for the augmetic eye.

It will be reversed like this so it's a little less obvious that it's just a camera lens. Also it magnifies and distorts what's behind it.. I'm planning to put a big bright red led for HDD activity behind it, should look cool ;)

Started out with the Dremel but the plastic is very thick, it was barely scratching away at it...

Time for something more effective!

Basically just drilled out a sort of dotted line around the eye socket, this took a while but worked pretty well. Also I know the hole is a mess, I'm going to clean it up with putty once I mount the lens.

You can see how much the lens magnifies what is behind it here (my fingertip).

Here it is very roughly mounted. Basic idea is that the Tech Mage suffered a severe injury to the left side of his head when he was alive, hence the augmetics. There will be some other bionics on the left side of the head, repaired cracks in the skull, etc.

I need something to finish off the back part of the eye. This doohickey came from a broken printer (you will be seeing a lot of random salvaged parts in this mod). I dunno what this thing is but it fits PERFECTLY on the backside of the lens!

Thats it for now.. more Wednesday I hope.

Looks cool.

Maybe you could wire up a small motor to the lens to have it focus and unfocus every now and then.

Hinokagutsuchi said:
Looks cool.

Maybe you could wire up a small motor to the lens to have it focus and unfocus every now and then.
Here's a better idea: why not motorize the iris in the lens? So when you put in that HDD led, it will vary the amount of light emanating from the lens (assuming the iris still works). Or you could do both ideas.

Those are both good ideas, but I think the iris is the part that's broken in the lens - there's a lever on the lens which I think is supposed to open and close the iris, but it appears to do nothing. As far as having it focus.. when you focus the lens, the front part of it extends out (this is the part that is going *into* the skull since it's reversed). So the whole (rather heavy) front section would have to be moving in and out.. I don't think it's entirely feasable, but there will still be some movement from the HDD activity light blinking. I'll take any suggestions on how it could be made to move though.

Definitely keep the top of the skull off, it looks way better. You have a real depth of source material when you 're inspired by 40K. I will be watching this mod closely.

I say make an attempt at the candles! The way you have them situated, you could easily take them off if they kill the look. Find some nice flicker bulbs.
flicker And creepo candle. Look around for one that looks good, here is another. You will have to 120 to these which might me more then you want to tackle.

looks cool so far.

urbsnspices said:
I say make an attempt at the candles! The way you have them situated, you could easily take them off if they kill the look. Find some nice flicker bulbs.
flicker And creepo candle. Look around for one that looks good, here is another. You will have to 120 to these which might me more then you want to tackle.

looks cool so far.

/seconded

I'd probably sculpt/cast my own candles but the flicker bulbs are a good idea (I wasn't planning on using real candles, lol). Small update coming tonight.

Sorry for the delay.. another computer I'm building had a DOA motherboard, took forever to diagnose the problem and then take EVERYTHING back apart. Then I get to put EVERYTHING back together again when I get the new one! :D

First off I will be covering the numbers on the lens, because I want to disguise the fact that it's really a camera lens.

I simply cut out strips of thin plastic and superglued them over the numbers.

Adding some mechanical detail

I attached the eyepiece into the skull with hot glue on the inside. It's actually a pretty strong bond.

Roughly attached

I used a two-part resin putty to fill in the gaps around the eyepiece. They sell this at TAP (I have one next door to my house, aren't you jealous?). It is workable like modelling clay and sets very hard in about 3 hours. You can even smooth it out with wet fingers like you would with clay. Just make sure you wash your hands frequently and thoroughly, because the residue will make your skin itch like crazy if you don't!

Added the piece for the bridge of the nose, and also puttied the seam (forgot to take a pic of it puttied but you'll see it later).

This will be the base of the bionic ear. Can you guess what it came from?

Part of a Halloween voice changer, and the lens cap from the Minolta lens.

Dremelled a hole in the lens cap and cut out the grating...

That will be the 'ear'.

Attached

That's it for now.. much more detailing yet to come.

love the concept, have only dipped a little into warhammer but it seems to look really cool. Im waiting to see how you pull off the case.

I wonder if you can have fake dust on the top? And have lots of wax drip from the candles, kinda like it's running for eternity...

Whoops, has it been two months already since I messed with this thing? I'll definitely be doing more on this, but it's just going to be here and there as I have time.

Patient we can (try) to be...just needed to know if we should give up hope altogether. ;)

Like your ideas, and so far some good modding (albeit little in volume), if this mod ever takes off I woud love to see how it turns out, but i agree with ^, if it's dead should we just uncheck this from our subscription page?

Very very awesome. Looks great but your killing us with the wait. Overall so far that looks freakish. You must be one badass dude.

All I can say is WOW. I really hope you finish this. I was really impressed by your drawing of what you want it to look like, and wandered over to your site and looked at your stuff, very impressive!

Back