• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

adding SATAII into an aging system

homIcIde

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 16, 2002
Messages
395
I need more HD space desperately and would like to keep with the times and upgrade alone the sata2 path. The unfortunate problems is that my dinosaur a7n8x deluxe only has sata150, and its spotty nvidia sata at that. Does anyone have advice as to how to upgrade without getting a new MB? Any good pci cards? TIA
 
there backwards compatible as far as i know, just get a sata2 and you'll be all set for the future
 
You are aware that most SATA-IO drives are downwards compatible, aren't you?

I think that most PCI add-in cards should work fine. I would probably get one with a Silicon Image chipset, since they appear to be the de-facto standard, hence are likely to have a long period during which drivers etc. will be available.
 
i assumed it was backwards compatable, but is the loss of performance significant?
 
homIcIde said:
i assumed it was backwards compatable, but is the loss of performance significant?

No.

Then again if I remember right that nvidia sata taxed the cpu more then it should. Just pickup a cheap sata controller card if you are worried.
 
Back
Top