Adding new boxen to the fold

Penguincomp

Racer [H]
I bought a HP Dual p3 800mhz server to fold with...LOL. Wasn't enough that I already had 2 comps running. Now for the real test....I bought around 50 P2 Systems yesterday....They were 50 bucks!

dang i hope those p2's beat the wu's deadline
50 bucks each or for all??

You really bought 50 computers for $50 each?
Damn. $2500. That's awesome for the team.

they should beat the deadlines if they are running 24/7, or he can go deadline-less
u_DR_K13

u_DR_K13

leetjeopardy.jpg

Scheizekopf said:
You really bought 50 computers for $50 each?
Damn. $2500. That's awesome for the team.
i think he meant $50 for 50 boxen.

either way, unless you get free power, you are running into the initial cost vs. running costs problem. it is worth it (in the long run) to get fewer, better boxen than a big bunch of old ones. however, at $1/box, it could be worth it to run them for a while, because $50 wouldn't build you a box that would be worth building.

have fun.

It was 50 bucks for all 50 computers :D I also picked up 8 server cabinets (full height...19") for 140 bucks. As for hooking them all up...they aren't all going to work and the parts will become keychains and clocks.

All you have to do is set the PIIs to run Timeless work units. That's what I did with my dual PII 266 box. It chugs along happliy working on them. Both processors together bring in about 100 points a week or so, but it's better than nothing and the system will eventually be a file server. I have to make sure it's going to be stable. :D

I was thinking about attempting some clustering of the p2 boxes. Setup 10-15 of them into a cluster array. I've never done it before, but it sounds like fun! I'm wondering what flavor of linux to attempt this with...anyone have a link on how to cluster in the first place? Suggestions?

research Beowulf Clusters... I think there's even a version of linux tailored for it....

Only problem being that F@H doesn't do multiple CPUs.... you'd still have to run one instance on each CPU... Folding aside, it'd be a fun project and you'd learn alot in the process

Keep on Folding!!

Penguincomp said:
I was thinking about attempting some clustering of the p2 boxes. Setup 10-15 of them into a cluster array. I've never done it before, but it sounds like fun! I'm wondering what flavor of linux to attempt this with...anyone have a link on how to cluster in the first place? Suggestions?
Clustering is fun stuff indeed, but it won't help F@H. Clustering is generally used for higher-bandwidth, lower-powered things like distributed rendering, where the ratio of computation to sending is lower.

Look at Clusterknoppix. If you're really still interested in clustering, it looks to be the easiest way. You'll need special apps to use it, though.

Penguincomp said:
It was 50 bucks for all 50 computers :D I also picked up 8 server cabinets (full height...19") for 140 bucks. As for hooking them all up...they aren't all going to work and the parts will become keychains and clocks.

if you happen to have any racks letf over, im looking to put one in my basement but im a tad short on cash ;)

u_Bodega

Hook those suckers up so two are using one PSU, cuts your costs on power down and OC them to the max. you have a great find,

keep an eye on them so they finish in the time frame needed, and FOLD ON :D

Penguincomp said:
What's this stuff about finishing in the time frame needed and the deadlines about?
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html
That should be enough for a quick explanation on deadlines. Setting to timeless WU avoids deadlines; still allows you to fold and gain pointage. Currently I think there are 9 timeless WUs available; I have two boxen running them now. You can set that up in (console version) advanced features. I don't use the GUI, so setting up advanced options in console version is where you'd do it. The other guys here are much better at explaining that info, however, and I defer to their infinite wisdom. Fold on!
[url="http://pc-tech.james-hurt.com/dec04fold.htm"]
u_NoXPert
[/url]

Sitting here with a p4 3ghz lappy
XP 3200
Dual p3 800mhz
Dual p4 xeon 2.6ghz
Dual p4 xeon 2.6 ghz

Just added my stepsons 1.8ghz and my fiance's 3.6ghz :D

Going to be getting my other 3ghz puter running today, step daughters 1.6ghz puter running it too...I'm addicted! Going to go pick up those p2 computers Tuesday..this is going to be fun.

The folding client doesn't use both cpus in a duel system right?

so the only real advantage is multitasking right?

Gk22CoE said:

You get the advantage of running one client on each cpu. It does not support SMP.

Gk22CoE said:

You have to run 2 instances of the Folding client to make use of both CPUs. You will need to install the folding client in two separate directories and run both of them. That way, it will use both processors. That's what I do with my dual PII 266 system. It's also the way to get the most efficiency out of a Hyperthreading P4.

Gk22CoE said:
Dude! Is that on pay-per-view? I gotta see that...

In this corner...
NO-COOOOOOOOONAH!

And the defending champ...
OPTEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!

I am way too tired. :rolleyes:

SmokeRngs said:
You have to run 2 instances of the Folding client to make use of both CPUs. You will need to install the folding client in two separate directories and run both of them. That way, it will use both processors. That's what I do with my dual PII 266 system. It's also the way to get the most efficiency out of a Hyperthreading P4.

edit: nm

unhappy_mage said:
Dude! Is that on pay-per-view? I gotta see that...

In this corner...
NO-COOOOOOOOONAH!

And the defending champ...
OPTEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!

I am way too tired. :rolleyes:

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that, or I would have needed a new keyboard.

sandmanx said:
...or I would have needed a new keyboard.

That's a common thing around here.... sometimes I think we should change the Folding Contest Giveaway to a new keyboard rather than a CPU :D

Keep on Folding!!

I don't know about a contest for keyboards instead of CPUs. But there should probably be a keyboard fund to donate to. That way if we get enough money we could buy the keyboards in bulk and possibly save some money in the process. I just hope the stock wouldn't run out too quickly.

I Got four extra laying around, if you need one, not new but work, no drink damage that I know of :D

Back