add remote desktop hosting to windows 8.1 (nonpro)

XtuRmN8r

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I've recently bought a dell venue 8 pro, in large part because it included office, and it seemed like a good deal at 200. I would like to use it remotely, but it looks like windows 8.1 doesn't allow hosted desktop connections unless you buy 8.1 pro.

Are there good cheap ways to re-enable remote desktop hosting on the non-pro windows 8.1?

Thanks

You can't legally 're-enable' remote desktop on that version of Windows. There are hacks like Concurrent which work, but I'm but sure about Windows 8.

You can however use a third-party tool to remotely connect to the desktop, like VNC or any of the other myriad services like TeamViewer or GoToMyPC and the like to connect to your desktop.

TightVNC is my favorite. Managed quite a few servers using it and perhaps I'm just old school. Dig the simplicity and have gotten used to some of its quirks. Not nearly as smooth as RDP though, but if you're desperate that's what I'd suggest.

Oh and it's free. Can't beat that. :D

Thank you for the suggestions, I'm trying Teamviewer, and I will keep an eye out for student versions of windows pro :)

TeamViewer is my favorite now, after LogMeIn shut down their free service. The VNC variants require too much work like setting up domain names or remembering ip.

Back