Adaptec 5XXXX Users - New Firmware & Drivers

I kinda want to try this firmware with the Adaptec 5805 and see if it works with the HP SAS expander (v2.02 firmware) unless someone has tried this.

Unfortunately I already sold me 5805 or I'd be the guinea pig, which leaves you, pjk. Have at it. :)

I got rid of a 5805z and now have a 52445, will be testing this out

The firmware you have in some of your WD20EADS matches the version used in the WD2002FYPS, there is a specific fix for dropouts of that drive in this firmware so I think it might fix things for you.

The firmware you have in some of your WD20EADS matches the version used in the WD2002FYPS, there is a specific fix for dropouts of that drive in this firmware so I think it might fix things for you.

SATA-1 jumper on the WD drives. $2 fix for a ton of WD green dropout issues.

And odditory... this weekend!!! I'm also going to be building the Phenom II X4 955 BE system.I just realized that I can actually put 2x Perc 5/i's in that. I wonder if the BBU backed write cache works with the drives passed as JBOD drives to OSol or FreeBSD for Raid-Z drives :)

SATA-1 jumper on the WD drives. $2 fix for a ton of WD green dropout issues.

And odditory... this weekend!!! I'm also going to be building the Phenom II X4 955 BE system.I just realized that I can actually put 2x Perc 5/i's in that. I wonder if the BBU backed write cache works with the drives passed as JBOD drives to OSol or FreeBSD for Raid-Z drives :)

The previous firmware already automatically sets the Greens to SATA150 without the need for a jumper. The fix is for addional issues with the RE4-GP drives but it seems there are some greens out there with the same firmware version.

Last edited:
Installed the new ASM software and holy shit! It starts up instantly now. Looking forward to the expander tests.

For some reason the controller takes forever to come up. I also noticed it says 'bios not installed'. Maybe I need to reload the image again? I loaded it using the ASM.
I also turned on TLER on all the drives, jumpered the drives & setup a Raid 6 array. The alarm went off on when I rebooted to the system :mad::confused:
So I have switched to JBOD for now. 12 new WD drives at a discounted rate...anyone???

Mine seems faster too. I also freed up an OCZ Vertex from another application, and I think I will try it as a MaxIQ cache and see how that changes things. It's a bit like the ZFS SSD caching capability, so may help on writes with the WD green drives.

PS This firmware works fine with the 2 TB GP drives on an HP SAS expander running 1.0...

Some bad news.... The 5805 and Adaptec Storage Manager still sees the HP SAS Expander, and report it in the "optimal" working state... but you still can't see connected drives on the SAS Expander :-/ I even disabled the enclosure management in the Adaptec BIOS and that didn't work either...

Some bad news.... The 5805 and Adaptec Storage Manager still sees the HP SAS Expander, and report it in the "optimal" working state... but you still can't see connected drives on the SAS Expander :-/ I even disabled the enclosure management in the Adaptec BIOS and that didn't work either...
You're running new firmware on the HP expander though, aren't you?

Yes. Version 2.02. The hope was that in this firmware release Adaptec made the HP SAS Expander work again.

The new firmware and Storage Manager does allow for pretty easy reading of disk temps at last. Just right click on the drive in Storage Manager -> Properties -> SMART. The raw value for attribute 0XC2 is the drive temp in Deg Centigrade.

Th previous version could read smart attributes using Storage Manager (Temps for example)

I'm interested in enabling TLER for my Seagate 2tb drives. Its almost completely unsupported with Windows RAID and I live in hope that the situation will change. :)

Starting with version 6.50.18570, ASM reactivates the HDD 10 minutes after their power-off.

Disable the "Advanced Statistics" does not solve the problem.

After several tests I could:

1) Disable the "Intelligent Power Management". Obviously I will not do.

2) install the older version (6.40.18530). But this does not support SMART and Advanced Statistics.

3) Stop the service "ASM Agent". This makes it impossible to manage the controller and monitor the HDD.

Do you have other solutions?

Last edited:
Starting with version 6.5.18570, ASM reactivates the HDD 10 minutes after their power-off.

Disable the "Advanced Statistics" does not solve the problem.

After several tests I could:

1) Disable the "Intelligent Power Management". Obviously I will not do.

2) install the older version (6.40.18530). But this does not support SMART and Advanced Statistics.

3) Stop the service "ASM Agent". This makes it impossible to manage the controller and monitor the HDD.

Do you have other solutions?

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I could never workout why my drives werent powering down sometimes. Have you tried the new ASM version and driver?

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I could never workout why my drives werent powering down sometimes. Have you tried the new ASM version and driver?

Yes.
The same thing happens with ASM 6.50.18579.

It would seem not to depend on the version of the drivers or firmware.

Which disks are you using? Some of the power control stuff needs drive support...

Which disks are you using? Some of the power control stuff needs drive support...

My disks are SATA and attached directly to the controller (5805).

But again the problem occurred only on (04-23-2010) FW/Driver 17899 + ASM 6.50.18570 and newer.

With previous versions (11-18-2009) FW/Driver 17544 + ASM 6.40.18530 everything was perfect.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I will likely try the new driver and firmware with the older 6.40.18530 ASM. I have SATA WD greens, they dont have APM spinup support but have worked properly with drive spindown in the past.

i've just noticed the same thing

my array has been fast asleep for 30mins now. yah

:D:D

:eek::eek: ASM v7.00.18781 resolved the issue!!! :):)

This is the first version that gave me problems w/ power management. Initially I couldn't even get power management to kick in at all, after disabling background consistency check(even though it's timers were set to 30days and it didn't appear to be doing any checks) I finally started seeing power state changes. The problem is I'll see reduced RPM then about 10 sec later full RPM and a best case of power off then about 10min later full RPM again. It's definitely the controller that's causing them to wake, as I've noticed several times that I've had drives from different arrays wake while the rest of the drives in their arrays stayed slowed or off. Adaptec is saying this is all normal as the controller needs to wake up the drives regularly to see if they are still there and optimal, this would sense if it didn't do it ever 5-30min while have back ground consistency disabled(required to even get power management to start working) and verify set to 24hr. The main reason I switched over to Adaptec was for the Intelligent Power Management, w/ how this is working I would have been better off just sticking w/ my LSI controllers, it would have saved me money, time and at least I'd get SMART data to 3rd party apps on arrays that aren't RAID 5/6(which will be the case as I'm just going to run flexRAID now, however that plan was built around using controllers that would power down my drives).

i was having problems with power management. like you, i found that when i turned off background consistency checking pm started working.

is there any aspect of the host os that could be waking up the sleeping array?

my array is within WHS but not added to the pool. my pool drives chatter away as WHS is continually accessing them. the array is merely available as a shared drive. two reason really, 1) WHS v1 does not natively support drives >2.1TB and b) to allow the arrays to spin down without having to disable the DE service

if the array is not accessed the array will stay asleep, except for around 12:20am each morning when the array powers up. power off is set to 30mins. reduced rpm is turned off.

are your drives listed on the adaptec compatability list?

I think all of the drives I'm have problems w/ are on the list, like my 4 Samsung F1 R's I them them in 2 RAID 0s and haven't set them up to be used for anything yet (they will be my parity disk for flexRAID) I don't see any reason for the OS to be waking them at this point, but as I mentioned early I'll actually have 1 drive out of each array wake while the other stays slowed/off(as these drives support both it depends on if if the wake right away after slowing or if the wake shortly after the power off), they may slow down before the other 2 wake but if the other drives wake while they're still at full RPM they'll time out and slow down while the second 2 are still at full RPM. Since they're part of arrays there's no way the OS is only waking 1 drive out of the array so it has to be the controller doing it and I assuming that all the single drive logical devices that don't stay slowed/off unless access are also being woke by the controller some if not all of the time.

The odd thing is it worked properly when I had the controller running on WHS V1 but I could only get ASM V6.4 to run, now that I'm using it on Server 2008 R2 SP1 and ASM V7 I'm having problems. I haven't tried using older version of ASM yet, but if that's what it will take then I will, I'll probably also try doing a silent install ASM since I have my laptop setup to manage remotely.

Back