ACX GTX 1070 & 1080 VRM thermal issues

I think the issue is specific to the custom PCB design on the FTW SKU, but once again the internet is blowing it out of proportion. Of course, "playing" Furmark is never a good idea no matter what video card you're using.

Yeah the example of the Youtube video showing it catching flames, while being recorded live.
Unfortunately that person powered up their EVGA 1080 FTW without the auxiliary connectors, really bad idea to do that.
Just reading comments on that youtube again today to see if others would point it out, and finally a well known OCer der8auer did point this out, think he was a bit exasperated with some of the posters (not with the video maker):
Note owner powered without plugging in auxiliary.

I bet der8auerwill do a video himself on the VRMs issue.

But like I say with the 480 and power distribution drawing too much from the PCIe slot (especially for the XFX GTR 480) being a concern for quite a few of the designs, I would not OC the 1080 FTW or those other Pascal EVGA in same situation until it had the pads or ensure you are able to cool the card adequately.
Cheers

Let's all gather around for a /r/PCMasterRace /r/BuildaPC circle jerk.

The FUD is strong.

I've had my 1070 SC since EARLY. No overheating, no coil whine, no black screen issues, no crashes other than when I get a little exuberant with the boost clock slider. Either - I got a golden sample, or the issue is not as prevalent as it's being made out to be.

Course, I've never played Furmark. Looks boring and the AI is shit.
Good for you, but it does not magically resolve the issue. Same story as Rx480, quite literally.

I just ordered the thermal pads from EVGA. According to their site they say "we have applied additional thermal pads between the backplate and the PCB and between the baseplate and the heatsink fins"

Question: where are the VRMs and what do they look like? Also, what is the baseplate? The heatsink? Can anyone provide simple directions on where to apply the thermal pads.

I just ordered the thermal pads from EVGA. According to their site they say "we have applied additional thermal pads between the backplate and the PCB and between the baseplate and the heatsink fins"

Question: where are the VRMs and what do they look like? Also, what is the baseplate? The heatsink? Can anyone provide simple directions on where to apply the thermal pads.
The VRMs are to the right of the core when the PCB is bare. You only need to apply thermal pads to the MOSFETs, which is the right-most column of black components circled in red below.
upload_2016-11-2_12-26-38.png

The baseplate or "midplate" is like the backplate, so named because it is placed on the front of the PCB between the components and the primary heatsink. This is what the video card looks like with the HSF removed and the midplate still attached.
upload_2016-11-2_12-30-46.png

If you detach the midplate you will see light-colored squares stuck on the other side corresponding to the placement of the VRAM around the core. You want to do the same for the MOSFETs from the picture above. With the backplate removed you'll want to apply the pads to the same area. EVGA should be able to provide you with pictures and instructions specific to your card.

Here is a blower-type card showing thermal pad application. In this example the midplate is secured to the HSF assembly instead of the PCB, so the heatsink is hidden. Follow the colored sections to see how they match up.
upload_2016-11-2_12-40-8.png

The heatsink is the large piece of aluminum or copper that sits directly underneath the fan assembly and makes direct contact with the GPU core. Several pics of the ACX have already been posted, but here is another one.
upload_2016-11-2_12-32-3.png

The VRMs are to the right of the core when the PCB is bare. You only need to apply thermal pads to the MOSFETs, which is the right-most column of black components circled in red below.
View attachment 9773

The baseplate or "midplate" is like the backplate, so named because it is placed on the front of the PCB between the components and the primary heatsink. This is what the video card looks like with the HSF removed and the midplate still attached.
View attachment 9774
If you detach the midplate you will see light-colored squares stuck on the other side corresponding to the placement of the VRAM around the core. You want to do the same for the MOSFETs from the picture above. With the backplate removed you'll want to apply the pads to the same area. EVGA should be able to provide you with pictures and instructions specific to your card.

Here is a blower-type card showing thermal pad application. In this example the midplate is secured to the HSF assembly instead of the PCB, so the heatsink is hidden. Follow the colored sections to see how they match up.
View attachment 9776

The heatsink is the large piece of aluminum or copper that sits directly underneath the fan assembly and makes direct contact with the GPU core. Several pics of the ACX have already been posted, but here is another one.
View attachment 9775

Awesome! Thanks man!!!

My EVGA gtx 1070 SC with ACX 3.0 cooler runs the coolest of any gpu I have ever owned. I tested this last night with MSI Afterburner. During standard gaming with the default fan profile, the temp rises from 35C and tops at 50C. During VR gaming, 57C. I know that's the gpu temp and not the memory, but the memory can't be that much more. I do have the benefit of a case (Coolermaster HAF 932) with tons of airflow, and my CPU has a AIO keeping the ambient case temp nice and cool.

My EVGA gtx 1070 SC with ACX 3.0 cooler runs the coolest of any gpu I have ever owned. I tested this last night with MSI Afterburner. During standard gaming with the default fan profile, the temp rises from 35C and tops at 50C. During VR gaming, 57C. I know that's the gpu temp and not the memory, but the memory can't be that much more. I do have the benefit of a case (Coolermaster HAF 932) with tons of airflow, and my CPU has a AIO keeping the ambient case temp nice and cool.
in the case of the issue I believe its the VRM temps that are making things way too hot. I dont know i also have the 1070sc and its been great. I also do not use furmark though.

Awesome! Thanks man!!!
You're welcome! Just to let you know, I found the instructions on EVGA's website. They include detailed pictures for every step.

http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/thermal_pad_mod_installation_guide.pdf

Only thing I don't like is they want you to put the midplate pads over the exposed chokes instead of the MOSFETs. That isn't really going to do anything. In my opinion it would be better if you do what I described in my original post and put them under the midplate over the MOSFETs.

EDIT: Also just noticed that at the start they said replacing the thermal paste is optional... Ignore that and replace it anyway. Just be sure that you use a non-conductive and non-capacitive paste when replacing it.

Last edited:
EVGA 1080 SC here and case temps are always cool...so either this issue isn't wide spread or these people are doing something specific to trigger it that isn't normally a factor?

EDIT: And on Saturday it ran iRacing for 14 hours straight pushing triple monitors without a hiccup and again, temps were fine. So...I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
EVGA 1080 SC here and case temps are always cool...so either this issue isn't wide spread or these people are doing something specific to trigger it that isn't normally a factor?

EDIT: And on Saturday it ran iRacing for 14 hours straight pushing triple monitors without a hiccup and again, temps were fine. So...I don't know.
I think EVGA included all cards using the ACX cooler as a precaution. I haven't seen any convincing proof yet that the issue extends beyond the FTW cards.

Their VRM temps have been horrible for several generations now and the ACX cooler has consistently been the worst custom heatsink among all Nvidia partners.
Good customer service, good warranty, horrible hardware.

Please EVGA I am begging you to steal the ASUS or MSI cooler designs.

From a pure cooling perspective, I agree. But ACX does a whole lot better then reference while maintaining the same footprint. Strix/Windforce aren't an option for all cases.

You're welcome! Just to let you know, I found the instructions on EVGA's website. They include detailed pictures for every step.

http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/thermal_pad_mod_installation_guide.pdf

Only thing I don't like is they want you to put the midplate pads over the exposed chokes instead of the MOSFETs. That isn't really going to do anything. In my opinion it would be better if you do what I described in my original post and put them under the midplate over the MOSFETs.

EDIT: Also just noticed that at the start they said replacing the thermal paste is optional... Ignore that and replace it anyway. Just be sure that you use a non-conductive and non-capacitive paste when replacing it.

Yeah I'm definitely going to clean the GPU and re-apply thermal paste. Looks like they will provide that based on the accessory list. Thanks again for your insight and instructions that you found, much appreciated!!! With my cards running in SLI my cards get hot especially the top card and my case isn't the greatest for airflow so hopefully no damage done. I'll know once I take it apart but so far so good, no black screens or crashes. Cards are running stock with custom fan profile. Gonna limit my gaming to my AMD rig until the thermal pads come.

Easily avoidable "oversight" from EVGA so I'm really disappointed. My last 3 cards (GTX 1070s, GTX 670s and GTX 470s) have all been EVGA and this one kind of hurts the brand loyalty I had in EVGA.

lol evga "mini" 1060 cards > ones with large custom coolers

Wow it looks like it almost all the 1070/1080 cards, and possibly even the 1060 cards.....holy cow this is a bigger deal than just the FTW cards.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ev...most-all-of-them-have-overheating-issues.html

http://videocardz.com/64084/evga-22...e-affected-by-pwm-operating-temperature-issue

The installation of that wide thermal pad looks so freaking ghetto. Not to mention the adhesive on the pad is going to trap dust on it and look like shit through the backplate.

The installation of that wide thermal pad looks so freaking ghetto. Not to mention the adhesive on the pad is going to trap dust on it and look like shit through the backplate.
Looks like the 1060 I bought is OK (06G-P4-6163-KR) but that is quite an extensive list there. Not good for EVGA.

Unfortunately the hotspot can only be measured with a calibrated thermal imager/camera as the issue is around the VRMs and possibly affecting a bank of memory as well.
Solution until fixing thermal pads would be to run the fans higher and without pushing OCs-voltage excessively (which is annoying if have a decent custom model); regarding fans higher speed, may also need to consider cooling from a case perspective as well.
Cheers

Unfortunately the hotspot can only be measured with a calibrated thermal imager/camera as the issue is around the VRMs and possibly affecting a bank of memory as well.
Solution until fixing thermal pads would be to run the fans higher and without pushing OCs-voltage excessively (which is annoying if have a decent custom model); regarding fans higher speed, may also need to consider cooling from a case perspective as well.
Cheers
Right. But, if these temps are getting as hot as claimed there WOULD be an effect on case temps. I'm not saying it would bring the temps up to near what the card itself is at...but even with good ventilation (which honestly, my case doesn't have the best ventilation) you would notice some high temps.

EDIT:Grammar

Last edited by a moderator:

Here's a video tutorial.

I'm baffled as to how this managed to slip QA during the design phase.

I'm baffled as to how this managed to slip QA during the design phase.

Same here, I don't think this was an oversight but pretty sure deliberate cost saving measure which will end up costing more. Really disappointed with EVGA. I mean cooling is pretty basic stuff and considering FTW is supposed to be one of the better versions this is inexcusable. I'm glad EVGA is owning up to it and providing solutions to customers but regardless the damage is done. After 7 straight EVGA cards these will likely be my last EVGA cards.

I'm tempted to disassemble my 980Ti FTW to see if it has a similar design flaw...

I'm tempted to disassemble my 980Ti FTW to see if it has a similar design flaw...

I took apart mine a few weeks back seems ok... you can see the thermal pads on the back of the backplate.
If this happened with the 980ti you would of heard about it already.

Last edited:
Same here, I don't think this was an oversight but pretty sure deliberate cost saving measure which will end up costing more. Really disappointed with EVGA. I mean cooling is pretty basic stuff and considering FTW is supposed to be one of the better versions this is inexcusable. I'm glad EVGA is owning up to it and providing solutions to customers but regardless the damage is done. After 7 straight EVGA cards these will likely be my last EVGA cards.
You would think that the first Xbox 360 design would be a case study for what happens when cooling takes a back seat to cost (and aesthetics).

Right. But, if these temps are getting as hot as claimed there WOULD be an effect on case temps. I'm not saying it would bring the temps up to near what the card itself is at...but even with good ventilation (which honestly, my case doesn't have the best ventilation) you would notice some high temps.

EDIT:Grammar
Unfortunately that then comes down to thermal leakage out of the card, bear in mind the heat would still be around if cooled correctly, just displaced from the VRM and memory modules more efficiently.
One reason it went unnoticed is because the trend-behaviour was not being picked up fully by the GPU thermal sensor (which is closest component-sensor to the VRM), and not by anyone identifying the trend with their case (because the heat still needs to be dissipated even if working optimally and so masks the effect a fair bit).
Hence why this only was identifiable when it was analysed with a calibrated camera that shows all areas.

One reason EVGA has now released a BIOS increasing the fan speed, to push the heat away from the VRM and push cooler air in, but let me know if you see the difference with your sensors pertaining to case temps, GPU would show a lower temp as it benefits from the fan increase for itself and heat pushed away from the VRMs.
Anyway look at the thermal image, heat rises and look to the top of the card but in fact most of the heat is conducting to the memory modules and to the side of the GPU die.

01-EVGA-GTX-1080-FTW-Metro-LL-4K.png

Also just to say I would be wary of accepting all thermal images popping up on the internet, because to get an accurate measurement requires a calibrated thermal imager, and they are not cheap for good ones with the calibration (which needs to be done usually annually).
Cheers

Last edited:
This is from the gamers nexus article. Honestly I am going to put the thermal pads on. Its pretty easy to do.

evga-vrm-thermal-image-1080-ftw-2.jpg

Only six minutes between thermal images and he had to flash the VBIOS and reboot? Makes me question if he really gave these tests time to heat soak for proper results. I think this guy's process is shit, overall he has bad practices when handling or testing PC parts.

Last edited:
A pretty popular thread on reddit, seems some cards have vram chips not being properly cooled.

In response to this post on Reddit and EVGA forums, EVGA will be adding to their thermal pad offer:
Reddit thread for followup:
Starting next week we will ship thermal grease, memory thermal pads, along with PWM thermal pads in the package. It is recommended to remove the existing grease on GPU and memory pads and apply the new ones. For any customers that did not receive memory thermal pads, please contact us so we can arrange it.

I suggest if you don't like/want to DIY the card modifications, you should contact EVGA about RMAing it, that is an option, also, for those already sending their cards, read through this page of the thread: http://forums.evga.com/gaps-between...thermal-pads-on-the-midplate-m2570619-p4.aspx
But I would recommend contacting support and making sure these newest modifications are completed before they ship it back to you.

This is turning out to be rather massive DIY project....

I returned my and got a refund from amazon and just paid the extra 50$ for the hybrid.

over 600$+ I shouldn't have to do these mods myself.

It's even worse if you got a golden sample, RMA one and get back a turd.
That's exactly why there's no way I'm going to RMA this. If this had horrible coil whine and if this wouldn't overclock then I'd likely do cross shipping RMA but since that's not the case... I'll install the pads and repaste the card myself.

I did the thermalmod yesterday and thankfully the led connector and fan connector weren't huge pain. In my case the VRAM pads made good contact so no problem there but I swapped the anyway. I used MX-4 as thermal paste and temps certainly aren't worse than before (maybe a small improvement - though GPU temps never were a problem).

Also I could swear that this adding these pads had one side effect: even less coil noises. There just isn't any anymore (there never was any whine to begin with).

Back