ACX GTX 1070 & 1080 VRM thermal issues

TaintedSquirrel

[H]F Junkie
Pulled from here:

bad(HOT) PCB Layout on GTX 1070 FTW? - EVGA Forums
[NEU] EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW - [UPDATE] Pascal-Roundup: GeForce GTX 1070 und GeForce GTX 1080 im Vergleich

02-EVGA-GTX-1080-FTW-Furmark.png

Hasn't this been the layout since ever? I believe the only thing that has changed is the GDDR5X. Is the temperature tolerance of GDDR5X different than GDDR5?

Also, they're claiming exposures of 107C, but that's very different and the only the estimated FLIR temperature of the VRM which is different than the sustained temperature of the memory itself.

This is going viral folks.
Not sure if it's mentioned anywhere but EVGA claims new ACX cards have the blackscreen problem fixed.

Last edited:
GTX 1070 FTW here and I haven't experienced any black screens or excessive temps. But then again I bought my card 2-3 weeks ago so maybe they implemented some design changes since then?

GTX 1070 FTW here and I haven't experienced any black screens or excessive temps. But then again I bought my card 2-3 weeks ago so maybe they implemented some design changes since then?
Umm I believe EVGA is saying all cards manufactured in August and beyond are fixed. Not sure.
The issue is tied to VRM temps which I think you need a thermal camera to check.

Umm I believe EVGA is saying all cards manufactured in August and beyond are fixed. Not sure.
The issue is tied to VRM temps which I think you need a thermal camera to check.

I wonder if the fix occurred at the same time as they switched over to Micron chips?

what a mess for evga, they been having a lot of rma's for the pascal generation
the past several months...

They supposedly fixed the 1070 micron memory problem with bios fix, they supposedly
fixe the black screen , 100% fan speed issue , but never said what they did to fix...
Some users noticed different chips on back of card on the rma's

GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% (Page 41) - EVGA Forums
post number 1224

I have 2 1080 FTW's in my X99 rig and now it feels like I am sitting on a bomb. I had 1 100% BS error before I knew that it was a known issue before settling on my current two cards. Of course out of the return window.....

In my Z170 rig I have a 1080 Strix which blows the pants of the 1080 FTW and none of the potential issues.

The one time I finally try EVGA after reading about its praises for years...

if you have a 1080 ftw and black screen /100% fan issue , evga will do rma ,

evga has tons of problems with pascal...

\replacing the thermal pads because of heat,
coil whine,
black screen/100% fan spin,
bios updates to fix 1070 micron memory problems

at least they have good customer service and have been trying to fix all the
problems as quick as possible..

EVGA has said that as of tomorrow, Monday the 24th of October, that you can request free thermal pads from them. The FTW models are included for certain, but I'm not sure about the other models.

They are meant to go between the back of the card and the backplate, and it looks to significantly reduce temperatures there.

Glad I stepped up just to a 1080 ACX 3.0 (same PCB as the SC). Why? The sumbitch OCs to 2202/5557 MHz - total silicon lottery for OCing these Pascal cards. Kraken X41 with a Kraken G10 and NO VRM or VRAM heatsinks (they run very cool at full load with good airflow over them, measured with an IR thermometer).

Also, their customer support and warranty is second to none - so even if there is a design flaw I know they'll fix it or replace it, and if it was their fault all I have to do is ask and they'll give me a pre-paid shipping label.

I've had my 1080 ftw since late july, could of sworn that the fans would stop turning due to low idle temp but now it's idling at 63c, though I just got done doing the fire strike stress test and the highest temp was 77c.
I've had a lot of evga cards and only had a problem with one ne refurb which I rma'd to evga and it worked out great.

Going to keep an eye on it now, I have no worries with evga though. (keeps going this direction of qc problems, will have to think twice next time.....sli?)

actually worried about resale value now...hm?

1080 ftw is running a Acer B6 B326HK, playing most games at 1440p till sli?

Last edited:
mrjones, I'd be asking for those thermal pads. I get its keeping the PCB warm at idle.

I've had my 1080 ftw since late july, could of sworn that the fans would stop turning due to low idle temp but now it's idling at 63c, though I just got done doing the fire strike stress test and the highest temp was 77c.
I've had a lot of evga cards and only had a problem with one ne refurb which I rma'd to evga and it worked out great.

Going to keep an eye on it now, I have no worries with evga though. (keeps going this direction of qc problems, will have to think twice next time.....sli?)

actually worried about resale value now...hm?

1080 ftw is running a Acer B6 B326HK, playing most games at 1440p till sli?

EVGA resale value is normally fine since the warranty transfers. Though people may determine a user modded card are worth less than an un-modded card from other manufacturers.

mrjones, I'd be asking for those thermal pads. I get its keeping the PCB warm at idle.
Back plates look cool, but are they cool?

Not into taking the heatsink off, but the back plate I'll do.

Was overclocking a bit with it (evga px +85 gpu is all I did) and barely got it to 83c running most anything (Timespy x64, gta5 @1440, Elemental demo,Heaven @ ultra)

I did change the power management mode in nvid control panel to "prefer maximum performance", changed it back to "adaptive" but still 63c

had to restart and now it's at 46c

Sorry to hear that some people are having problems but mine is running games no more than 77c oc'd @1440p , new games like gta5, far cry4, Doom at 4k

going back to oc'n it now

Last edited:
Glad I didn't get EVGA since they had issues when I was reading their forums for FTW and Classified cards. Now this.
Good support though for people in US of A. Not much for me though so I took my chances with Strix. Can't be happier.

Also glad I ditched EVGA.

My EVGA GTX 970 was unstable, my 1070 is a PALIT card which is probably the best built card I have ever owned. Very stable and cool also.

Unacceptable that EVGA did this...For them to do this with such expensive hardware...it just boggles the mind.
Never EVGA again.

That's why I am leery of backplates. Never understand sandwiching your memory chips inbetween a big chunk of metal with no airflow. Backplate != heatsink.

well, on my 970ssc+ I added a backplate and it lowered temps 2-3 degrees average...
so, it works sometimes...
I just think the design of the 1070/1080 3rd party cards weren't tested properly ..

Geez people are so quick to trash and dump a company that had a solid rep for ever over a mistake. This is EVGA I'm sure they will make everything right so put the pitch forks away.

Geez people are so quick to trash and dump a company that had a solid rep for ever over a mistake. This is EVGA I'm sure they will make everything right so put the pitch forks away.
Their VRM temps have been horrible for several generations now and the ACX cooler has consistently been the worst custom heatsink among all Nvidia partners.
Good customer service, good warranty, horrible hardware.

Please EVGA I am begging you to steal the ASUS or MSI cooler designs.

When it comes to expensive hardware like this that I paid my hard earned money for AND no other company currently has this problem...you are damn right pitch forks are warranted.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
A mistake was made EVGA realized it and is in the process of trying to make it right. If nothing else you have their customer support and warranty which imho is the best out there.

That's why I am leery of backplates. Never understand sandwiching your memory chips inbetween a big chunk of metal with no airflow. Backplate != heatsink.
It's not a heatsink, but if the components are making contact with the backplate it will act as a heatspreader. The effectiveness of which is determined by the thermal conductivity of the backplate.

Reactions: Azrak
like this
It's not a heatsink, but if the components are making contact with the backplate it will act as a heatspreader. The effectiveness of which is determined by the thermal conductivity of the backplate.
...And how much air is actually blowing by said backplate inside the case. Too little flow and it ends up being a localized thermal insulator to the components it covers once heat saturation occurs.

Exactly. It's a huge heat soaked chunk of metal... no I don't want that touching my VRAM. It's making temps worse, not better.

Exactly. It's a huge heat soaked chunk of metal... no I don't want that touching my VRAM. It's making temps worse, not better.

Do you have measurements (or links) to back up that statement?

Unacceptable that EVGA did this...For them to do this with such expensive hardware...it just boggles the mind.
Never EVGA again.
What exactly did EVGA do? Fail to tell the mindless Reddit gamer community to not run a burn-in tool that is infamous for frying GPU power delivery systems?

Just like every other non-controversy the teenage memesters over at PC Master Race cook up, this one will fade into obscurity in a day or two.

What exactly did EVGA do? Fail to tell the mindless Reddit gamer community to not run a burn-in tool that is infamous for frying GPU power delivery systems?

Just like every other non-controversy the teenage memesters over at PC Master Race cook up, this one will fade into obscurity in a day or two.
If a test that does not even stress GPU to it's limit leads to frying GPU power delivery, the GPU manufacturer should just hang himself, and then fix it.

I've had my GTX 1070 FTW for a month now. I've played countless hours of demanding games that have put my GPU utilization at 100% non-stop. Not a single issue other than some coil whine that seems to be common among many 1070 cards regardless of brand.

I never torture test my hardware with Furmark or Prime95 since nothing gets close to putting that much stress on your GPU or CPU in real world applications. To me, running Furmark or Prime95 is the equivalent of running your car at a constant redline and seeing how long it will last before it blows - just not practical.

Let's all gather around for a /r/PCMasterRace /r/BuildaPC circle jerk.

The FUD is strong.

I've had my 1070 SC since EARLY. No overheating, no coil whine, no black screen issues, no crashes other than when I get a little exuberant with the boost clock slider. Either - I got a golden sample, or the issue is not as prevalent as it's being made out to be.

Course, I've never played Furmark. Looks boring and the AI is shit.

The FUD is strong.

I've had my 1070 SC since EARLY. No overheating, no coil whine, no black screen issues, no crashes other than when I get a little exuberant with the boost clock slider. Either - I got a golden sample, or the issue is not as prevalent as it's being made out to be.

I think the issue is specific to the custom PCB design on the FTW SKU, but once again the internet is blowing it out of proportion. Of course, "playing" Furmark is never a good idea no matter what video card you're using.

The FUD is strong.

Same thing here when it came to my 1070SC, got it day one on newegg and has been great ever since.

Back