• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

ACF7P + other fan?

kymay

n00b
Joined
Jun 14, 2008
Messages
7
Hi everyone. First post...

It's about my sig "secondary" system. I use SpeedFan to control the ACF7P. At default 100% output, or ~2700 RPM, the fan is just way too noisy. It's not until I bring the fan down to 55% output, or ~1600 RPM, that it can be considered reasonably quiet; yet it's clearly audible (and above the case fans), even from across the room, despite the quieting qualities of the P182. By most accounts the ACF7P is considered quiet, and I'm not hearing a motoring/laboring/vibrating sound, so this is perplexing.

When fan speed is held at a minimum ~1600 RPM, RealTemp (TjMax = 100) reports idle temps at 38C - 40C, and 100% load temps up to 54C, neither of which seem too high. But I want still lower HSF noise levels without sacrificing temps, something the ACF7P won't accommodate as it stands.

Hence my title question. Has anyone combined the ACF7P's heatsink only (fan assembly removed entirely) with a different fan in order to lower the noise level (while, at least, maintaining temp performance)? If so, which fan and how did you fasten it to the heatsink?

I guess this seems more trouble than it's worth -- just install a different, better performing, HSF. Well, any reinstallation is for me the absolute last option (and subject of another thread :)).

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
 
I have not found the need and wonder if you have a defective fan.

I recommend you try enabling EIST in the bios and PWM fan control (not exaclty sure of the settings on your motherboard) and let the motherboard control temps. You WILL see temps rise as Enhanced Intel Speed sTep is configured to give priority to low noise and thus lets the cpu run at the upper end of the thermal envelope. In other words it lets, by design, the cpu run warmer that what most of us on the net would consider acceptable for bragging rights and keep the noise at a minimum. It should be almost inaudable. You are running stock speed according to your post, so bragging is apparently not your concern and that cpu does not even break a sweat until 85+ C and you cant damage it with heat as at somewhere over 100C it will just turn itself off. So try it with EIST - Speedstep - Auto Fan Control, whatever your bios might call it, forget about temps other than make sure they dont go crazy and see if that works for you. Due to the design of the fan mounting putting a different fan on there is not trivial.

(I am really susprised, that heatsink is my default heatsink for all new customer builds and yes at 100% it makes a good racket but on auto control by the motherboard its dead silent at idle and a bare whisper at full load even with mild OCs. odd but this is one of those things that a whisper to me might be a scream to you. Try the auto and forget temps just for fun. If still not happy you can always still persure the fan changout. I am sure there could be ffound some way to strap a scythe 92mm on there but keep in mind PWM 4 pin fans are not common and if you go with a normal 3 pin fan and your motherboard does not support legacy fan speed control by voltage for the cpu fan it will be at 100% all the time and speedfan will not be able to change it.
 
Give up - the stock fan is excellent and nicely dampened too, you're just expecting too much from the heatsink itself. It's a cheap and highly effective solution (I use one in my second PC too), but it's never going to keep up with the big boys such as the TRUE. A 16c idle/load delta is good, and as Bill says 54c is absolutely nothing to worry about - just let the mobo manage the speed and it should stay quiet while maintaining temps within spec.

EDIT: Your temps do seem a little on the high side for a stock E8400, but the delta looks too small for it to be a bad mount. What are your ambient temps?

EDIT AGAIN: I suspect the TJunction for the Wolfdales isn't really that high. Opinion is divided, but I doubt 100+c is correct. I'd guess it's more like 85, which would bring your actual temps down to 39c. In any case, perhaps changing coretemps display to show distance to TJunction would make you feel better (as your temps are miles away from it) :D
 
EDIT AGAIN: I suspect the TJunction for the Wolfdales isn't really that high. Opinion is divided, but I doubt 100+c is correct. I'd guess it's more like 85, which would bring your actual temps down to 39c. In any case, perhaps changing coretemps display to show distance to TJunction would make you feel better (as your temps are miles away from it) :D

Tjmax on 45nm Intel CPUs aside from the QX9650 and QX9770 is 100C as released by Intel several weeks ago.
 
Thanks for the helpful responses!

The P5K does not have EIST as such; it does have "Q-Fan" which apparantly has the same intent, and when enabled on my board, the ACF7P's fan immediately dropped to <1000 RPM at idle. Now RealTemp reports core temps of ~48C at idle and ~59C at load, while the ACF7P's fan does vary speed based on demand. But... even under mobo control, would I characterise it as "almost inaudable" at idle? No. And I doubt it's defective. (Did someone say possibly mismounted?)

I will run the system with Q-Fan enabled. I'm not worried by the temps and it's quieter than before. It is quiet enough. For now. :p
 
Back
Top