Acer Predator x34 or AOC Agon AG352UCG? Other suggestions?

zamardii12

2[H]4U
I can't decide which monitor I want; at all. I don't know much about monitors and just want something much bigger than my current 27" and I want G-Sync. I narrowed down to these two because they are the size I want, and both have G-sync. The Acer is about $120 more.

I don't know too much about monitors and was hoping someone could be nice enough to guide me int he right direction and/or make a good choice that i'll enjoy. I am planning on installing the monitor on a extending arm mount too if that makes a different.

... I also found the Asus ROG PG348Q which is a G-Sync 34" curved with G-Sync.

Last edited:
With a 1080ti, i will assume you play a lot, but that does not tell me what kind of games you play. also, what bothers you more: input lag or motion blur?

Add the HP Omen 35 to your liist: reviews showed that the omen has better overdrive settings and ends up with less motion blur than the AOC. the Omen can be found ~$90 more expensive than the Agon, but it is definitively worth it.

1- size: the 35" Omen is bigger than the 34" predator,
2- contrast: VA panels in Omen and Agon more than twice the contrast of the IPS based Predator
3- movies/reading/working: thanks to 1 and 2, the 35s" are miles ahead of the IPS solution when watching movies or reading/working.
4- motion blur: it is almost a tie in many pixel transitions, but there are some color transitions where the IPS 34" pulls ahead. a small IPS victory here.
5- professional color work: VA panels have horizontal gamma shift. this usually means they are not recommended for editing stuff that will be printed in real life. Point 34" predator.
6-total display lag: a very small predator victory, mainly thanks to 4.

So the 35" has 3 major victories, one major defeat and 2 small setbacks. Unless you use the monitor for professional color work printing stuff in real life, i strongly advise you to consider the HP omen 35" over the Predator, or the new agon 35" if price is low enough compared to the HP omen.

Finally if you are looking for the lowest total lag and demands the slowest motion blur available, neither of the above displays can help you, because they lack a strobing backlight. Look for the 1080p samsung C24FG70 or the 27" acer predator.

With a 1080ti, i will assume you play a lot, but that does not tell me what kind of games you play. also, what bothers you more: input lag or motion blur?

Add the HP Omen 35 to your liist: reviews showed that the omen has better overdrive settings and ends up with less motion blur than the AOC. the Omen can be found ~$90 more expensive than the Agon, but it is definitively worth it.

2- contrast: VA panels in Omen and Agon more than twice the contrast of the IPS based Predator
3- movies/reading/working: thanks to 1 and 2, the 35s" are miles ahead of the IPS solution when watching movies or reading/working.
4- motion blur: it is almost a tie in many pixel transitions, but there are some color transitions where the IPS 34" pulls ahead. a small IPS victory here.
5- professional color work: VA panels have horizontal gamma shift. this usually means they are not recommended for editing stuff that will be printed in real life. Point 34" predator.

So the 35" has 3 major victories, one major defeat and 2 small setbacks. Unless you use the monitor for professional color work printing stuff in real life, i strongly advise you to consider the HP omen 35" over the Predator, or the new agon 35" if price is low enough compared to the HP omen.

Finally if you are looking for the lowest total lag and demands the slowest motion blur available, neither of the above displays can help you, because they lack a strobing backlight. Look for the 1080p samsung C24FG70 or the 27" acer predator.

I appreciate this write up, but unfortunately it came a little too late... lol. :cool:

In any case, I set it up briefly at work and it is just astonishing to look at. Huge step up from my 27" Benq. The Omen is 1" bigger but that's not worth a extra $100 in my opinion since the X34 I got for $1020 from Amazon and the Omen is $1125. I will try gaming on it when I get home, but I doubt i'll be disappointed in any way.

r0xqlr4qixuy.jpg

Last edited:
I'd appreciate the slightly higher dot pitch with the 35", but getting one only makes sense if it's cheaper IMHO. The Acer X34 for less money is surely the safer choice and a faster performer in games (less blur and lag).

I'd appreciate the slightly higher dot pitch with the 35", but getting one only makes sense if it's cheaper IMHO. The Acer X34 for less money is surely the safer choice and a faster performer in games (less blur and lag).

I have a follow-up question and concern and I was hoping you could help me with. I am noticing quite a lot of backlight bleed from the X 34. Apparently this is a common issue not only with the X34 but with the X34's LG IPS panels. I have searched Reddit and many forums of people who own the X 34 and basically people are saying that it is an inevitable issue and that you have to accept some amount of back like bleed, but I am honestly not sure how much I need to accept. I could potentially end up exchanging my X34 for another one that has worse backlight bleed. I have never purchased a monitor this expensive, and I know It is unreasonable to expect it to be perfect but I was hoping maybe someone could allay my fears. The shots below illustrate exactly what it looks like and especially the shot of when I was playing Outlast 2 I was playing last night, the corners were very distracting. If this is true of IPS and these particular LG panels. do the VA panels in the Omen and Agon have less prevalence of backlight bleed?

I shot the following two pictures so you can see what it looks like.

http://imgur.com/bYDO3Uu

http://imgur.com/QUbpM6F

Last edited:
IPS glow like that is exactly why i stopped using them for gaming and bought an Omen X35 instead.

BLB is a deal breaker for some. VAs do not suffer it nearly as much. i apologize if my post did not mention BLB.

I have a follow-up question and concern and I was hoping you could help me with. I am noticing quite a lot of backlight bleed from the X 34. Apparently this is a common issue not only with the X34 but with the X34's LG IPS panels. I have searched Reddit and many forums of people who own the X 34 and basically people are saying that it is an inevitable issue and that you have to accept some amount of back like bleed, but I am honestly not sure how much I need to accept. I could potentially end up exchanging my X34 for another one that has worse backlight bleed. I have never purchased a monitor this expensive, and I know It is unreasonable to expect it to be perfect but I was hoping maybe someone could allay my fears. The shots below illustrate exactly what it looks like and especially the shot of when I was playing Outlast 2 I was playing last night, the corners were very distracting. If this is true of IPS and these particular LG panels. do the VA panels in the Omen and Agon have less prevalence of backlight bleed?

That does seem pretty excessive. Does it change with an angle? What are the brightness settings?

Did you monitor box look brand new or it looked like it was opened before?

That does seem pretty excessive. Does it change with an angle? What are the brightness settings?

Did you monitor box look brand new or it looked like it was opened before?

It doesn't seem as apparent the farther to the left I move my head; but looking at it from the center it looks like the pictures I posted. It was definitely brand new when I opened it.

IPS glow like that is exactly why i stopped using them for gaming and bought an Omen X35 instead.

Wouldn't you know it, the price on the Omen just dropped on Amazon a day after I get my X34. I may just have to return my X34 and go with the Omen. However, looking at the pictures it looks like it isn't compatible with VESA mounts which I have my X34 connected to on a adjustable arm. Am I wrong about that?

Actually is says it includes a VESA mounting bracket so I think it should be fine.

Last edited:
I had been having this struggle for about a week. After a few (too many) drinks last night I ordered the AOC. I just could not rationalize the 30% price difference for the Acer. If it is not awesome, I am sending it back.

I had been having this struggle for about a week. After a few (too many) drinks last night I ordered the AOC. I just could not rationalize the 30% price difference for the Acer. If it is not awesome, I am sending it back.

I just received mine and got it set up. Liking it so far. How is your experience so far, or do you not have it yet?

I just received mine and got it set up. Liking it so far. How is your experience so far, or do you not have it yet?
It is out for delivery, but required direct signature. Hopefully I can manage to be home when FedEx comes.

Back