Acer Ferrari F-20 good deal for $130?

licnyc

n00b
Newegg has the Acer Ferrari for $130 (shellshocker at 8am)
Any opinions for this? Please no comments for the looks :D
The price is low enough to get two.
Would that be better than one 24inch?
It a P-MVA not S-IPS (I think)

Ferrari at Newegg

Looks like it might be a *VA panel according to bit-tech's review of it:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/01/13/acer_ferrari_f20_lcd_monitor/

He comments that: "Viewing angle was average-to-good. As with many displays, it suffered more on the up-down range than the left-right range."

That and the viewing angles seem indicative of a *VA panel. Looks like it has a pretty nice TV tuner (SCART, Composite, S-Video, and an antenna port) as well, though Acer's and Newegg's pages don't appear to mention that.

Its not a bad deal, but... I think its better than it looks 8ms isn't good, only buy if you "need" a monitor. Any day of the week you can get a 19" wide screen for about $125.00 and prices keep dropping. 20" w/ 5ms ones will be down at $130.00 on the regular soon enough.

It's an amazing deal since it's not a cruddy TN panel :). I'm jumping on one as soon as the deal hits. There's conflicting info as to whether it's S-IPS or P-MVA but either one is much better than TN and is a good deal at this price. I'll be using mine as a second monitor next to my S-IPS 20" current main.

ugh i want to bite, but i dont want a screen that looks like that ~_~ big bezel and red stand? pass

I bit... $130 shipped, and it has an "Estimated 1 day delivery" so it may very well be here tomorrow :eek: .

Yes it's a good deal. I just bought one when I saw it on slickdeals. Look at Acer's other monitors selling for $130 and they are 17" TNs.

Good deal. And I think back then this LCD had panel lottery just like the Dell 2007 WFP. It could be VA or S-IPS.

It seems really slow i like the look of it personaly but i wish it was 3ms or 5ms

Those would be TN's at 3ms, which have far worse viewing angles + color shift even sitting at your desk, and poor color reproduction. This wouldn't be a deal if it were TN.

I ordered 1 and decided to get a 2nd 5 minutes later. I have a Soyo 24 and a dell 22 right now, I'll be selling the dell and have dual 20's and a 24.:D I read alot of good reviews about the screens.

Yes, it's a good deal. I paid over $400 for one a couple years ago and then sold it for just over $300 about 8 months ago. The look of the thing is awesome to behold..and the P-MVA is better than any TN panel but not quite up to IPS standards. Just be warned that even though it carries the Ferrari badge and the blingy paint job...it is still a pretty bare bones monitor feature wise.

Its a solid screen. I was hoping it would come back in stock at 130$, but back to 199$. Deal is dead.:(

Newegg has the Acer Ferrari for $130 (shellshocker at 8am)
Any opinions for this? Please no comments for the looks :D
The price is low enough to get two.
Would that be better than one 24inch?
It a P-MVA not S-IPS (I think)

Ferrari at Newegg

Holy balls that's a terrible display.

So what is the final verdict on the quality of this display?

The Dark One

IPS and MVA panels are of far better quality than the normal TN's.

That said, mine just came in today (woot woot overnight ground shipping for free!) and it appears to be an S-IPS panel as it matches my current 4.5+ year old one's viewing angles perfectly and is able to get the same color definition with adjustment. So, amazing quality, bargain-basement price.

By the way, to those who were scared of the aesthetics, it actually looks quite nice in person... it's a darker metal red, not a bright plasticy-look like it appeared in the 'egg photos, and has built-in laptop-qualiity speakers on the bottom for those who care. It's a very nice display and I'm exceedingly glad I jumped on it.

IPS and MVA panels are of far better quality than the normal TN's.

That said, mine just came in today (woot woot overnight ground shipping for free!) and it appears to be an S-IPS panel as it matches my current 4.5+ year old one's viewing angles perfectly and is able to get the same color definition with adjustment. So, amazing quality, bargain-basement price.

By the way, to those who were scared of the aesthetics, it actually looks quite nice in person... it's a darker metal red, not a bright plasticy-look like it appeared in the 'egg photos, and has built-in laptop-qualiity speakers on the bottom for those who care. It's a very nice display and I'm exceedingly glad I jumped on it.
S-IPS? Sweet!! Can't wait to get mine, how the hell did u get urs so fast?

I've been looking for another F-20 for some months now... too bad newegg.ca has *nothing*... :( no stock... no deals... nothing...
You guys that got this for $130... I'm officially jealous :p

I've been looking for another F-20 for some months now... too bad newegg.ca has *nothing*... :( no stock... no deals... nothing...
You guys that got this for $130... I'm officially jealous :p

:( Hopefully newegg.ca gives some <3 to you guys up there soon!

It seems the one I got is TN, so they seem to be doing a panel lottery. I was disappointed initially but got over it because the picture is as good if not in some aspects better than S-IPS Dell 2005FPW(thanks to the glossy coating). It has even backlighting and no dead pixels so the quality is great. I doubt it has a S-IPS panel, maybe P-MVA if you're lucky.

I got mine today. From what I've read TN you can't see the screen clea from the side. Well looking all the way on about a 170 degree angle I can still read text and it looks clear. Screens are very nice. Almost easier on the eyes to read. As you can see below I'm out of desk space for screens. I had a 24 inch soyo and a 22inch dell. I sold the 22inch dell before I got these but I don't have any space for the 24inch right now. I wanted same size screens for the time being. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do, probably need a new desk.

Anyways heres a pic.
photo18ku7.jpg

Its a P-MVA panel not S-IPS.
From my experience its a decent monitor. It has a gloss coating if you like that sort of thing. The color in my experience isn't the best, but at $130 its a great deal. It doesn't have the extra inputs and TV tuner like the European version.

Man for 130 it is sweet, I wish I could have gotten 2 as well lol. Actually, a lot of them popped up on ebay, some of them are less than 200. What are the chance that those the MVA panel? with the 25% backback and my own 10% coupon, I am thinking about buying two as well.

Anyone got some good settings for the colors, and contrast/brightness? I had a 24inch + 22 before. But I'm loving these dual 20 ferraris, very nice displays! I LOVE the gloss.

Do these from newegg come with RGB slot that would allow me to like connect a ps2 to it? Also, are these 100 P-MVA panel?

/337: Yes you can see clearly from the sides from a good quality TN, their horizontal viewing angles are often superior to P-MVA. If you look from below the monitor it should darken and invert, this means you have a TN.

I'm loving this monitor, for $130. Compared to the sandy textured colors on the S-IPS Dell 2005FPW, the glossy coating on the F-20 makes it silky smooth and pleasing to the eyes. The colors are very close to the S-IPS and it's hard to tell when I'm comparing various wallpapers.

I have been trying to match it to the 2005FPW(Normal preset) and here are my settings:
Brightness:84
Contrast:71
Red:100
Green:94
Blue:40

Newegg has real listed the LCD and again at 139$. OOS atm, but I will be watching for it to come back in. ;)

Those settings worked great! Screen looks absolutely amazing now. Why do you set the blue so low?

The screen seemed a little too blue by default(even on the warm setting!) so I lowered the blue saturation until it matched the whites of the Dell 2005FPW which was closer to a warmer yellow. They look really close now, but the Dell has slightly better color saturation which is not surprising.

You can set yours to whatever your eyes seems the best as even the same picture will not look the same to every person's eyes.

Back