Acer Aspire One: 9/10 on Bit-Tech

When does the 120gb hdd + 6 cell battery model actually drop?

I can't find one anywhere online except as preorder or shipped from the UK.

2.65h battery life with wifi off blows. Unless someone other than Asus gets a long life battery soon, a 10" EEE is in my future.

I remember when the Eee PC and the Everex Cloudbook were competing, and everyone was talking about how the Cloudbook got it wrong by trying to just shrink a regular laptop instead of making a new, "lite" kind of mobile device.

Ironic, then, that despite the Eee's ostensible success, it's the Cloudbook's formula that's catching on.

Neither of those are 6 cell from what I can tell (I realize my post is not terribly clear). Actually, I'd prefer a higher quality 3 cell if anyone knows where to find one--something around 3.4 - 4 AH.

Tried one Circuit City today and I've never seen anything take fingerprints that well, but the keyboard is very nice and much easier to type on than the 900 even though it's not much larger.

I'll have to see if my CC has one, but I doubt it could be as bad as the HP ultraglossy touchscreen all in one desktop I saw at staples a week ago.

I dunno, the MSI wind almost looks better.

But thats also cause I have a thing against Acer....ewww Acer!

I had a gift certificate to CC burning a hole in my pocket, so I put it towards one of these. Neat little thing. Its hard to type on it with my big paws, but I am slowly getting the hang of it. Its certainly manageable for its intended uses, email, chat etc. This is definately A LOT better than lugging around my burning hot, short battery lifed, titan of notebook Everex.

I'll give a better review when I have a full sized keyboard to type it with. :D

I dunno, the MSI wind almost looks better.

But thats also cause I have a thing against Acer....ewww Acer!

I had dismissed the Aspire One on that basis as well... 'Till I started reading up more on it after the Dell Inspiron disappointed me. I dunno why Dell stuck with a 4-cell battery, and the keyboard compromises they made are just a huge turn off for me (the punctuation keys I'd use a lot when coding particularly, and stuff like PgUp/Dwn or the tiny Tab key).

Compared to the EEE PC's 901 split SSD's I think I actually prefer the single fast 8GB drive of the Aspire One. The 901 has a fast (relatively speaking) 4GB drive for the OS, and a secondary slower 12 or 16GB drive for data (depending on whether you buy it with Linux or WinXP). Problem is, configuring the OS optimally for this kinda laptop is easier with a lil' breathing room on the OS drive, and even enabling stuff like Hibernate could become impossible w/a smaller OS drive.

The Aspire One seems to have the best keyboard amongst all these netbooks as well... Mostly because it's slightly wider than the rest of 'em, but they made some clever choices like re-positioning the Page Up/Down keys down by the arrow keys, and not moving much else. I like the dual SD slots too, complements the 8GB SSD drive well, just pop an 8GB SDHC in there and you're good to go, still coming in at a cheaper price point than any of the EEE PC 901s...

Btw, the Aspire One's seem to be rapidly going in and out of stock at Newegg... Right now they've got a single 6-cell version (8GB SSD, 1GB RAM, white, w/Linux), and it was in stock like 6 hours ago, then out of stock 4 hours ago, and now it's back in stock, heh. I'd like the blue version, but the rest of it is right up my alley... Gonna wait 'till I have a chance to see what I can find locally though.

I briefly played with one at BB a few days ago. The only downer I had with it was the gloss^H^H^YHarey screen.

Do the 9/10" EEE's or the wind have matte screens or'd they go glarey too?

All glossy screen.

Amazon will have them in by next week. they ordered some more this week.

Newegg doesn't seem to have stocked them back up again since two nights ago when they sold out (twice), the 8GB SSD w/6-cell version anyway... The 3-cell versions are still in stock. It's pretty annoying to figure out which have the 6-cell battery and which have the 3-cell over at Amazon.

Back