Votes: 61 41.2%
  • Dell 2407 FPW

Votes: 72 48.6%
  • other (please post a comment!)

Votes: 15 10.1%

• Total voters
-=PESTILENCE=- said:
[snip]
One slight complaint I would have is the adjustments to the angle of the monitor aren't as 'sticky' as i'd like. when you angle it down, or side to side, u kinda gotta fiddle to make it stay. not a problem really, just a minor annoyance.

Sounds like the rear-view on my old Jetta. ;)

k well seems to me that more people vote dell but then dont post anything useful, and the Acer looks like the unknown hero. cheaper, less signal lag and less imput lag. i might be going with one of these after all.

maybe ill be going with a new monitor and new graphics card instead of a new computer after all... (Currently on agp rig with 6600GT)

Had 3 different Dell 2407's and everyone of them had a problem. Loved my 2005 20" Wide back in the day and other Dells before that.

Love my new Acer 24"

Already looking forward to a 30" other than the Dell to come out.

Just got my 2423wdr a couple days ago and I have to say, it's one slick monitor. Looks beautiful. It's what I've come to expect from Acer (this is my 3rd Acer) on thier monitors.

I don't think anyone could go wrong with the 2423Wdr.
I Dell has a ..uh... "following" but the 2407 really seems to be hit or miss and I personally won't drop $700 plus on a hit or miss.

Hit or miss is correct. Can anyone really afford a $700 dollar hit or miss gamble? Well, I did and it cost me alot of stress and time and effort dealing with 3 of these Dell 24's. All three had the weird ghosting problem even with the new re-visions.

I couldn't be happier with this monitor. Right now I just gotta figure out what settings are the best [contrast, brightness, color] and get a new eye glass rx. I didn't get it filled out 6 months ago when I went, and now my eyes are twice as bad, lol. Gotta go first week in september and get a new rx...my eyes were buggin last night being 4 feet from 1920x1200 res...lol.

-=PESTILENCE=- said:
I couldn't be happier with this monitor. Right now I just gotta figure out what settings are the best [contrast, brightness, color] and get a new eye glass rx. I didn't get it filled out 6 months ago when I went, and now my eyes are twice as bad, lol. Gotta go first week in september and get a new rx...my eyes were buggin last night being 4 feet from 1920x1200 res...lol.

Can you please write up a review with pictures for that monitor?

my first impressions are on the 2nd page of this thread. I will try to get a review and pics soon, I'm gonna be busy this weekend though.

I'm looking at buying a 24" monitor myself and I'd like some pics too !!! please take 10 mins and post them ! :D

here are some of mine: (fscking A.. the thumbnails aren't working, so here are full size)

P1000282.JPG

P1000283.JPG

P1000284.JPG

P1000286.JPG

P1000287.JPG

revenant said:
here are some of mine: (fscking A.. the thumbnails aren't working, so here are full size)

Can you take some pictures in games with atleast one pic of the game in low resolution (Doom 3/Prey/Quake 4/FEAR/HL2/BF2 any of those)?

How about the viewing angles on 2423wdr?
Does anybody know what panel is it?
I have vx2025wm and I'm a bit annoyed by the contrast changing when you move your look at it at the angle.

well, deffinatly looks nice.

whats the audio system called? the one from logitec you have, seems to be really common.

Hi - that's the Logitech X530 5.1 speaker setup.. it's cheap and it works well. best $60 I spent on a speaker setup ever! I took some in-game shots of HL2 EP1 but the pics didn't do the "real thing" justice.. I'll try and take some more tonight, while lower ambient light.. some Oblivion and such... man, you guys need to see how fast this thing is though.. that's the part than gets me every time I fire up a game. lol. It's just amazing! :)

EDIT: no limited viewing angle issues that I have noticed.. and I am not sure what panel it is, but it shares the exact same stats with this samsung.

revenant said:
Hi - that's the Logitech X530 5.1 speaker setup.. it's cheap and it works well. best $60 I spent on a speaker setup ever! I took some in-game shots of HL2 EP1 but the pics didn't do the "real thing" justice.. I'll try and take some more tonight, while lower ambient light.. some Oblivion and such... man, you guys need to see how fast this thing is though.. that's the part than gets me every time I fire up a game. lol. It's just amazing! :)

EDIT: no limited viewing angle issues that I have noticed.. and I am not sure what panel it is, but it shares the exact same stats with this samsung.

Samsung S-PVA - LTM240M2

ahh! so I was warm. :)

pretty nice panel: (from the sticky in this forum)
Super-PVA (S-PVA)
- same as PVA except ...
- “Magic Speed” (the Samsung equivalent to Overdrive) improves pixel response
- slightly improved color reproduction
- slightly improved viewing angles

MVA / P-MVA / PVA / S-PVA Compromise for All-Around Use
These panels are a compromise between the fast pixel response times of the TN panel and the excellent color reproduction of the IPS panels. Contrast and blacks are best of all the panel types. Viewing angles are similar but slightly inferior to IPS.

revenant said:
ahh! so I was warm. :)

pretty nice panel: (from the sticky in this forum)

Contrast on MVA and PVA is only higher because it is based solely on the center point of the monitor where it is greatest. The overall panel is inconsistent in contrast and therefore will be much lower in other areas.

IPS is generally consistent across the panel at the spec'd contrast.

Right, but the pay-off is increased pixel speed from that small inconsistency in contrast.. I guess if I were a 3d modeler or graphic artist an IPS mon would be ideal.. but these S-PVA mons seem like a sweet spot for gamers. :)

ordered one from newegg. Will be getting it sometime next week. I'll compare it to VX2025MW :D

alright guys.. since.. I had a post about this acer vs dell thing a while ago.. I decided to why not get both =x dell and acer

for 1,400 dollars =x
:)

Quick question about the Acer. I am actually looking at both of these monitors and trying to decide between the two. I need to know two things about the Acer first.

1. Is it HDCP Compliant like the Dell?
2. What ways can the display move around? Like can it pivot, change height., swivel, etc? Because all I can find is that it can change height and rotate the screen. Does it do anything else?

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

no HDCP

stand is nearly identical to dell stand, so yeah it can do all of the above

You might want to check out the Dell forums before even considering buying a 2407....wow...talk about un-happy campers ! I just got my Acer 2423wdr from NewEgg and it put my Samsung 910t 19" right to another workstation....no comparison. The Acer is definately the 24" to buy at this time. :cool:

remember 3 year easy exchange warranty....the Dell is sweet there just to many photoshop people doing majot color stuff seeing the banding thing, trust me the acer will have some too......you cant beat dells service and teh 2407 is so kick ass its not even funny......dont buy into the crap you hear.....the dell is very worth the price and with 3 years fast exchange that means you run into a problem they ship you a new you out and when it arrives you you send the bad one back postage paid never without a display (know thats frigin service and way worth it). I have had no issues with my A02 Dell 2407WFP i think its frgin awesome just my opinion though, just remember dont be be persuaded by all the talk people are just getting way to picky on that panel just because its a Dell and people love to back them hard for some reason!

Stickman1975 said:
You might want to check out the Dell forums before even considering buying a 2407....wow...talk about un-happy campers ! I just got my Acer 2423wdr from NewEgg and it put my Samsung 910t 19" right to another workstation....no comparison. The Acer is definately the 24" to buy at this time. :cool:

Let's be fair about this though, "Stickman." Are you really suggesting that people should use a complaint forum to form opinions about a product? People who are happy with their Dell monitors aren't going to be posting on Dell's support forum...

Let's be fair about this though, "Stickman." Are you really suggesting that people should use a complaint forum to form opinions about a product?

Sure do.....whenever I make a big purchase I always go to the forums and see what the word is on the product. You posted here how you like your 2407.....so people do post positive comments as well. I am not a Dell hater by no means I have a 19" Ultra Sharp as well. I researched the 24" panels for 3 weeks before making my decision and It would have been very hard for me to buy the 2407 based on my findings. I feel I made the right choice and am very happy wtih the Acer....and I hope you have great luck with your Dell as well ;)

Sorry, I think I worded my response poorly. Yes, you can get a good idea of the issues affecting the monitor by going to Dell's forum; what you can't get a good idea of is how many people are unhappy with the monitor vs. how many people are happy with it; again, because satisfied customers don't typically spend a whole lot of time posting on Dell's support forum. That's the point I was trying to get across.

Sikish said:
ordered one from newegg. Will be getting it sometime next week. I'll compare it to VX2025MW :D

Got my AL2423w a few days ago.
Overall: Great monitor. No dead/stock pixels! Perfect panel.

Two things that bothered me in vx2025: Viewing angles and sparks on white.
The Acer is using similar panel, but not the same.. from what I see.
Viewing angles are not as good as IPS, but better then vx2025, it makes grey a little lighter, as you look at the angel (try hardforum.com page) but only grey color. Not enough for me to complain. Sparks on white are there, but a lot less then on viewsonic. Over all seems to be a better panel.
Colors seem richer.(might by different settings.. but I tried to get the best out off both of them.)
Text is a little better on vx2025.. due to the .pitch size.. but that is noticeable only from 10 inches distance. I prefer to work/read/browse as well as game on Acer.
Backlight bleeding: None noticed!
Gaming: Acer is great, I thought I notice the input lag when I switch from viewsonic to acer, but realized that my mouse needs to be faster since I went from 1680x1050 to 1920x1200. After making mouse movement faster I don't notice any difference.
If I'd have to bet, I'd say vx2025 is a little snappier, but.. only if I have to bet. I don't notice any differences in games (CS Zero, CS:Source, DOD, Red Orchestra) oh yeah! there is a difference :) Acer is much bigger :)
Main thing for me was the viewing angels and sparkle effect.
I'm very happy with Acer AL2423W. :cool:

revenant said:

P1000282.JPG

P1000283.JPG

P1000284.JPG

P1000286.JPG

P1000287.JPG

hey can you tell me where i can find that red mini keyboard?

LOL.. ahhh! it's my study.. again. anyways.. the best place to see about and buy a deck kb is direct from www.deckkeyboards.com. Well, imo anyways.

I am still extremely happy with this monitor! wow. the way it can make lower non-WS resolutions look good continues to impress the hell out of me. While I did try 1680x1050 and it looked fuzzy, 1600x1200 and looks perfect, and 1280x1024 doesn't look half bad either... Even watching the BF2 demo last night after installing it which was at like 800x600 or something was not that bad.. crazy! I am using the monitor now on a new conroe crossfire rig and wow, playing games at 1920x1200 on this thing with AA and AF pegged out is incredible. the serious lack of input lag + the amazing picture quality = happy gamer! wewt.

Could someone post a price comparison for the U.S. as of 9/12/06? Are they both 700$?

Before I go and put myself into debt ... If all I play is CS:S, will my rig be worthy of the 1920x1200 resolution? I am planning on building a better computer some time later, but I hope a 6800GT will suffice.

revenant said:
LOL.. ahhh! it's my study.. again. anyways.. the best place to see about and buy a deck kb is direct from www.deckkeyboards.com. ....

That has got to be the SHITTIEST layout for a website EVER. How did you ever manage to find your board? I don't stay in websites looking like that for more than 25 sec.

yeah - they're freakin expensive... I think I was zonked out on vicodine when I bought this one.. maybe that's how I found it on that website? you have to be on the right drugs to navigate certain websites! anyways, when I came out of the daze I was like.. I spent how much on this little thing?? but it grew on me. :) it's a good little KB for gaming.. I like how it doesn't take too much desk real estate, it's got n-key rollover, and the back-lighting is awesome for low light environments.. aka, my study most of the time at night... but typing a lot of emails on it is not the best.. I am upgrading to a G15 I think just for a better typing feel..

ok - back OT now. :)

revenant said:
I am still extremely happy with this monitor! wow. the way it can make lower non-WS resolutions look good continues to impress the hell out of me. While I did try 1680x1050 and it looked fuzzy, 1600x1200 and looks perfect, and 1280x1024 doesn't look half bad either... Even watching the BF2 demo last night after installing it which was at like 800x600 or something was not that bad.. crazy! I am using the monitor now on a new conroe crossfire rig and wow, playing games at 1920x1200 on this thing with AA and AF pegged out is incredible. the serious lack of input lag + the amazing picture quality = happy gamer! wewt.

I have a XFX 7900GT card, and after selecting the Fixed aspect ratio scaling the monitor centers the games to their resolutions. Just about any game supports 1600x1200 and It looks fantastic. sure black bars on the sides but image is perfect.

Back