Accused UK Hacker To Be Extradited To The US To Face Charges

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have an idea, if you have Asperger Syndrome, depression and other conditions that would cause you to "struggle in the US prison system," don't break the law. Why does it seem like hackers always want to blame Asperger Syndrome for everything?

Briton Lauri Love will be extradited to the US to face charges of hacking, Westminster Magistrates' Court ruled on Friday. Love faces up to 99 years in prison in the US on charges of hacking as part of the Anonymous collective, according to his legal team. Handing down her ruling at Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London, district judge Nina Tempia told Love that he can appeal against the decision. The case will now be referred to the home secretary Amber Rudd while Love remains on bail.

You think he will try to bring his guy fawkes mask with him?

Because hacking is most definitely worse than murdering or raping someone.
It depends upon who was hacked. The targets of Love's hacks places his actions in the category of espionage. People can die when espionage results in compromised agents. If you are brave enough to fight the U.S. Army, FBI, and the Missile Defense Agency than you are going up against some very serious people who are going to hit back hard.

Don't stick your hand in the fire if you don't want to get burned...

In order for a person to be extradited interstate, 18 U.S.C. § 3182 requires:

• An executive authority demand of the jurisdiction to which a person that is a fugitive from justice has fled.
  • The requesting executive must produce a copy of an indictment found or an affidavit made before a magistrate of any State or Territory, and
  • Such document must charge the fugitive demanded with having committed treason, felony, or other crime, and
  • Such document must be certified as authentic by the governor or chief magistrate of the state or territory whence the person so charged has fled.
  • The executive receiving the request must then cause the fugitive to be arrested and secured, and notify the requesting executive authority or agent to receive the fugitive.
  • An agent of the executive of the State demanding extradition must appear to receive the prisoner, which must occur within thirty days from time of arrest or the prisoner may be released. (Some states allow longer waiting periods of up to 90 days before release).
  • Cases of kidnapping by a parent to another state would see automatic involvement by the US Marshals Service.
He is not from the US and didn't flee the US so how does this work?

As an IT tech, I see a lot of hacking a fundamental violation of personal and intellectual space. It's deeply immoral, on the level of breaking into someone's home--maybe worse. Hackers range from harmless pranksters to outright evil (if you've ever dealt with a small business that's threatened with losing everything because of hackers or creators of ransomware...). Hackers often have little consideration to the nightmare that their victims go through--the loss of security, the feeling of helplessness, etc.

In this instance, of course, his attacks weren't on individuals or businesses--he made war on the US government. That is, in itself, a pretty foolish decision. I have plenty of things I disagree with the government on, and I lean libertarian philosophically, but that doesn't mean that people who try to hack into important government systems should be immune to consequence.

All in all, I'm in favor of pretty stiff penalties on hacking.

• An executive authority demand of the jurisdiction to which a person that is a fugitive from justice has fled.
  • The requesting executive must produce a copy of an indictment found or an affidavit made before a magistrate of any State or Territory, and
  • Such document must charge the fugitive demanded with having committed treason, felony, or other crime, and
  • Such document must be certified as authentic by the governor or chief magistrate of the state or territory whence the person so charged has fled.
  • The executive receiving the request must then cause the fugitive to be arrested and secured, and notify the requesting executive authority or agent to receive the fugitive.
  • An agent of the executive of the State demanding extradition must appear to receive the prisoner, which must occur within thirty days from time of arrest or the prisoner may be released. (Some states allow longer waiting periods of up to 90 days before release).
  • Cases of kidnapping by a parent to another state would see automatic involvement by the US Marshals Service.

without looking at the UK laws this is likely in process. He isn't here yet, it just is underway. Also attacking government targets tends to speed up such things. Not sure offhand (hopefully someone with more info will chime in) but can't this be treated as terrorism?

It doesn't, this law does not apply in an international setting.

What he was accused of:

Lauri Love, 28, was arrested on Friday at his residence in Stradishall, UK following a lengthy investigation by the US Army, US prosecutors in New Jersey said. According to prosecutors, the attacks date back to at least October 2012. Love and other alleged hackers are said to have breached networks belonging to the Army, the US Missile Defense Agency, NASA, the Environmental Protection Agency, and others, in most cases by exploiting vulnerabilities in SQL databases and the Adobe ColdFusion Web application. The objective of the year-long hacking spree was to disrupt the operations and infrastructure of the US government by stealing large amounts of military data and personally identifying information of government employees and military personnel, a 21-page indictment said.

"You have no idea how much we can fuck with the US government if we wanted to," Love told a hacking colleague in one exchange over Internet relay chat, prosecutors alleged. "This... stuff is really sensitive. It's basically every piece of information you'd need to do full identity theft on any employee or contractor" for the hacked agency.
Database hacking spree on US Army, NASA, and others costs gov’t millions

It doesn't, this law does not apply in an international setting.

The way i see it, USA has the "right" to request extradition from cyber crimes (insert allegedly) committed against Americans targets. But somehow i doubt that USA will ever extradite an american who committed cyber crimes against foreign countries. UK is bending over such requests time and again.

And yet Hillary is running free. How does that work?

In simplest terms, the FBI felt otherwise. You can trust in the system or not but in the end that is the reason she isn't in jail. Can't lock people up because of a mob mentality opinion of the matter.

In simplest terms, the FBI felt otherwise. You can trust in the system or not but in the end that is the reason she isn't in jail. Can't lock people up because of a mob mentality opinion of the matter.
More like the FBI is in the Dems pockets.

lol pwnd, or I should say aspie pwnd the most special type of pwnd

The way i see it, USA has the "right" to request extradition from cyber crimes (insert allegedly) committed against Americans targets. But somehow i doubt that USA will ever extradite an american who committed cyber crimes against foreign countries. UK is bending over such requests time and again.

Maybe, this article says that we have extradited several over the years for crimes committed while in the UK. I am not sure why we would not do the same for cyber-crimes committed while in the US. And although this article says this has never happened, it also neglects to list any instances where Britain has filed an Extradition order for such a reason. They have to ask first.

A US embassy spokeswoman said: “The US has never refused an extradition request from the UK for any type of crime under this treaty.

“The UK has refused 7 requests from the US. The facts clearly show that the treaty is fair and in no way lopsided.”

No American citizens extradited to UK over crimes allegedly committed in US

I didn't see anything in the article that challenges this US spokesperson's statement and this statement in the article is pretty misleading.

It said: “From the information available, between January 2004 and 30 March 2012, there have been seven known US citizens extradited from the US to the UK.

“Of those seven, none have been identified as crimes which were committed whilst the person was in the US.”

From a list of seven US citizens extradited for crimes committed in Britain, none were extradited for crimes committed while in the US? If that isn't spin spin don't exist.

Of the 416,800 US Servicemen killed in action in World War 2, none were killed in the Vietnam War :ROFLMAO:

He's lucky to be getting a trial instead of being "suicided." Obviously, he's going to be strung up and made an example of, but he might still see the light of day eventually, and that's more than people being droned to death in the third-world can expect.

This is all very confusing, from the articlçe i gather that never a US citizen using a computer based on US territory was extradicted to stand trial over a cyber crime in another country, which is after the main issue on this case: where should a cyber criminal face charges?
USA tried before to trick and trap europeans into the USA to stand trial over cyber crimes. asking for a proper extradition shows progress.

This is all very confusing, from the articlçe i gather that never a US citizen using a computer based on US territory was extradicted to stand trial over a cyber crime in another country, which is after the main issue on this case: where should a cyber criminal face charges?
USA tried before to trick and trap europeans into the USA to stand trial over cyber crimes. asking for a proper extradition shows progress.

Prior to the internet, it was almost impossible to commit a crime against a foreign country without being in that foreign country. Because of that fact, extradition treaties were not up to the task of making extradition happen. All the treaties were written so that people who committed crimes in a foreign country and ran away, could be brought back.

In such cases where the US doesn't have an updated extradition treaty with a country, tricking the criminal to come over is the only option left short of kidnapping the bastard. So yes, we are making progress in overhauling our extradition treaties with other countries.

I look forward to the day when the USA tries to get hold of the thousands of Chinese & Russian Government employees who wage cyberwar on the USA every day, and have caused far more harm to the US government, infrastructure and businesses than some lone misguided and mentally ill hacker.

Plus one thing you guys don't even question, which says a lot, is of the charges made against this man. Are they true? Can they be independently verified? Sure the guy probably hacked them, but we have no real idea of what he actually did, for all we know the man is being strung up purely to be made an example of, which is highly likely, as picking on and severely punishing a mentally ill, fairly well educated European sends a very strong message to other hackers in the EU.

Last edited:
Is going to prison suppose to be an easy relaxing time? I don't think there's anything wrong with me, but I expect to struggle with life in a prison as well. Should no one go to prison unless they think they'll thrive and be happy there?

Back