Accuracy of Temp Monitoring Programs on Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 DS3 S3

BillParrish

Supreme [H]ardness
Acutally I only ran it on a DQ6 but the others should be the same.

TAT
Speedfan
Coretemp
Easytune

Comparision of the 4 programs with data/screen shots and conclusion is here: http://mysite.verizon.net/ressdxka/id5.html

Short version:

Easytune is way off on temp and is dangerous crap.
Others all very close to one another and accurate for internal core temps. Use the one you like the features of best.

isnt easytune reading from a different sensor to the other software though?
i thought easytune reads from a analogue sensor in the cpu, and the others are digital sensors in the core.
comparing apples with oranges?

Nope answering a guestion I get 2 to the 12th power times a day.

They all claim to read the "cpu temp" one way or another, you made my point for me :D

Trying to demonstrate to the noobies that Easytune is absolutly horrible to rely on for cpu temps if overclocking

I'm not convinced. I think they're reading temperatures from different places.

sorry I was not clearer, of course Easytune is not reading the same place the others are.

i thought easytune reads from a analogue sensor in the cpu, and the others are digital sensors in the core.

Close enough, you are mostly correct, but I am not trying to inform people that already know about it.

The next question is, when intel give a guideline of 60 degrees. is that cpu, or core temperature?

Umm. . . What version of EasyTune are you using? I know there is a difference between the two readings, but I'm seeing a 3 degree difference.

I have a DS3 :)

http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/31327803.pdf

Per the data sheet section 5

To summarize:
the case temp Tc is not to exceed about 61C at full rated 65 Watts of TDP.

trouble is there is not a good way to measure Tc (temp at top of heatspreader in the center)

thats why I was pointing out the need to use something that reads the internal diode. We know that at about 85C the processor internal core will thermal trip. So coretemp, speedfan, TAT provide very accurate ways of determining if the CPU is in thermal distress. Any of those tools read 80C under load, (I never let it get over 65C personally) you are about to have a problem.

this is interesting/helpful as well.
http://download.intel.com/design/processor/designex/31368502.pdf

yes, did I forget to put the verions numbers on the web page ? YIKES

they are all the current versions as of yesterday.

no they are there.

Umm. . . What version of EasyTune are you using? I know there is a difference between the two readings, but I'm seeing a 3 degree difference.

I have a DS3 :)

It is easytune5 downloaded yesterday,

I have a DS3

I have a DQ6 ver 1, so I would be Very interested if your Easytune cpu temp matched coretemp and TAT under idle and load conditions. Perhaps they have fixed the DS3, I do not have one to test with. hmm I better do a tread search.

What version of of the DS3 ? 1 2.0 or 3.3 ?

i've got a ds3 2.0
and my CPU temperature is lower than TAT, but that's to be expected since they're reading from different places. and the Tjunction is Tcase+15.. so.. i think that's right.... ill have to do some double checking (tat/coretemp vs easytune).. yar...

On my DS3 (3.3) EasyTune5, CoreTemp, and SpeedFan 4.32 all are pretty much the same. TAT is the only program that is way off for me, so I stopped using it.

Sorry, I started a similar thread to this. Here are my findings.

I'm running a Core 2 Duo 6400 on a GA-965P-DS3 v3.3 mobo.

TAT Coretemp v2.05.2006.0427 reports 45 & 43 on idle (°C) for C State of C0/C1
Coretemp v0.95 reports 43 & 40 on idle (°C) for C State of C0
MBM5 (w/CoreTemp plugin) = 28 & 25
Speedfan v4.32 = 28 & 25
Mobo BIOS vF10 reports 33°C and a system temp of 59° (huh?)
EasyTune5 (Gigabyte's recommended & included software) reports 34°C & and a system temp of 59°, so I'm guessing this is just reading the BIOS.

Why are Coretemp & TAT the same? That's not the same as some of you other DS3 owners, is it?

I'm so confused.:confused:

I won't agree that EasyTune5 always gives lousy temp results, because when I ran it on my DQ6 V1 I got results that reasonably matched the results from other programs (e.g. Speedfan). I can't explain the differences others are getting.

However - I will agree that EasyTune5 is crap in general. It was locking up my computer when booting etc. I uninstalled it and won't miss it. Maybe it will work when it hits version 6 or 7.

well it could be that the reading easytune taking from somewhere else is very close to the readings all the other programs are taking, so it seems to be the same. im kind of finicky and never use any of those software titles that try to do everything like asus AI boost or easytune. coretemp measures core temp, period. it does its job well. i dont need it to monitor the fans i dont have or my cd drive speed and it doesnt need flashy graphics to make me think its working.

Back