Accessing Web Server from own Network

Drunken_King

Weaksauce
Here is are the details. I have a computer running Windows Server 2003 and Apache 2.2 I am hosting a gaming forum on my server. Today in the morning my modem decided to restart so I i got new IP. Updated my Zone Records on my Domain. Now I can't access my server from computers on my internal network but people outside of my network can. How can I fix this? I had no problem accessing the server b4.

Using a 2WIRE router. It happened once b4 but I just restarted the server and it worked. Not this time though.

Well I have tested in the Local Network and it works. But when I make it public I still can't access it. But other people have access.

This could be many things... is the DNS resolving properly? Just do a ping and make sure it resolves to the proper IP. I'm assuming you're doing port forwarding? Have you tried rebooting your router (for the record those 2WIRE things are pieces of shit), it might not be rebuilding its NAT reflection rules properly. It seems odd that it'd just go away, but some routers require NAT reflection to be manually turned on, so check if you have an option like that somewhere (some vendors will rename this, but 2WIRE is shit and probably doesn't offer it at all).

This could be many things... is the DNS resolving properly? Just do a ping and make sure it resolves to the proper IP.
He tried the local/public ip address. didn't work

I'm assuming you're doing port forwarding? Have you tried rebooting your router (for the record those 2WIRE things are pieces of shit),

I second the 2Wire being sh&t.

Yes i port forward. But now it seems no one in the outside can access the server either. Don't know what happened.

can they access it via URL
can they access it via IP
Sure you set your port 80 to forward to the right IP?
Make sure port 80 is allowed through on any firewalls.

Something gives me the vibe that your trying to get to it by your external IP.
From inside your network you should use the internal ip of the server. And Split DNS.
Most home routers do this for some reason. Either way, it worked before so it should work now. Reboot the router (if you haven't already) maybe it fubared the rule.

Well now it seems no one can access this. I got it set up again internally and it works. But nobody on the outside can. It seems my router received a firmware update and after that it just stopped working. Could the firmware have caused all this? I also reinstalled apache php and mysql and thats how i was able to access it again in my local network.

Well now it seems no one can access this. I got it set up again internally and it works. But nobody on the outside can. It seems my router received a firmware update and after that it just stopped working. Could the firmware have caused all this? I also reinstalled apache php and mysql and thats how i was able to access it again in my local network.

Check the router to make sure that it still port forwarding the ports?

I should also mention after the firmware upgrade not even VPN was accessible from the internet. Even though the ports are forwarded.

Update: I set up the new host and people can now access the forum. I can access it through my local address but since it's a forum it has an assigned url. So if i try my address in the LAN it loads the main page but since it has URL assigned the rest of pages wont work. That's expected. But what I can't do now is access the forum from the public domain name since it is using my own external ip address. Anybody know how to fix this?

Update: I set up the new host and people can now access the forum. I can access it through my local address but since it's a forum it has an assigned url. So if i try my address in the LAN it loads the main page but since it has URL assigned the rest of pages wont work. That's expected. But what I can't do now is access the forum from the public domain name since it is using my own external ip address. Anybody know how to fix this?

Easiest way is probably to override the DNS in the hosts file. Otherwise run either split DNS or an internal DNS and create a second hostname for that virtual host.

Well I'm running my own server and haven't set up virtual hosts. And how do I override the DNS in Host File.

Back