acceptable i7, 920 temps?

bradyapba

Gawd
I cant seem to find the info anywhere, what is the high end temp that its ok to run the i7 at?

aslong as you arnt pegging 100*C all the time your fine :p

I've let mine sit in the high 80*C range for 12 hours straight

computer will shut down at 100c. 90c is pushing it. imo stay under 85c.

Mine at a stable 3.8ghz overclock, sit at a comfortable 37-40*C idle and 70-74*C max load. Stay under 85*C and you'll be fine. For the record I'm on air using the cogage true spirit hsf.

So, heres my situation, based on what you guys are saying, i seem to be ok.

I have a cogage true spirit on my 920 too.....did you use the under mobo bracket or the washer mod? Are you using the stock fan? I am, but thinking of replacing it.

I have it OC'ed, to 3.6.

at idle, it sits at 33-35C.

After prime95 ran on blend for and hour, i passed all the tests, and my max temps were 68,68,68,62.

When i game (all the machine is used for) it never breaks 55 C.

I assume based on what you guys are saying, thats very safe? And i even have a little head room to work with it seems?

Yeah, those temps are just fine. I am also using the cogage true spirit, with the thermalright bolt through kit. Yesterday I replaced the stock fan with a Scythe Slip Stream 1900RPM fan and saw about 2C drop in temperatures. However, I've been told that the slip stream is not the best option for heat sinks, so look around. Either way, your temperatures are fine.

no, it wont shut down, I have hit 100*C multiple times, all it does is throttle down ;)

Then perhaps you don't have that warning/shutdown option enabled in BIOS. Or you may have a very high threshold. I set my system to automatically lock down when the temp hits 90C.

Then perhaps you don't have that warning/shutdown option enabled in BIOS. Or you may have a very high threshold. I set my system to automatically lock down when the temp hits 90C.

I dont, but the CPU automatically throttles down when it hits 100*C in the name of self-protection....

my i7 is self-aware, the end is near! :eek:

I dont, but the CPU automatically throttles down when it hits 100*C in the name of self-protection....

my i7 is self-aware, the end is near! :eek:

That is a bios feature, along with CPU shutdown temp. Personally I would rather have my computer shut down than constant throttling. It should never get close to that max temp anyway.

and @ OP those temps are very good and you're fine.

Dont go near 100c
Stay under 90c and you're safe
Under 85c is the "acceptable" temperature you're looking for.

Independent of any bios/board features added by the motherboard manufacturer, at TjMax it throttles, at some not released temp above TjMax it will catastrophic thermal trip to save itself.

OP look at the "Distance to TjMax" reported by Realtemp to determine your headroom to TjMax that, roughly, is the deg C of headroom you have to play with from a thermal point of view.

thanks guys! That was a lot of info I did not know. Really good stuff. Thanks Again.

OP look at the "Distance to TjMax" reported by Realtemp to determine your headroom to TjMax that, roughly, is the deg C of headroom you have to play with from a thermal point of view.
This is by far some of the best advice I've heard in this thread. To expand a little bit further, TjMax is the point at which the CPU will turn it's self off in self preservation. 15C under that is what "most" people feel is safe.

That is a bios feature, along with CPU shutdown temp. Personally I would rather have my computer shut down than constant throttling. It should never get close to that max temp anyway.

its not a bios feature, its a cpu feature, 100*C is perfectly fine to hit since i7 920 has a higher thermal threshold, although I wouldnt recommend you sit at 100*C all day every day

To expand a little bit further, TjMax is the point at which the CPU will turn it's self off in self preservation.
No, it's not. If the CPU temperature reaches Tjmax, it will trigger the PROCHOT signal which will throttle the CPU's speed to lower its temperature. If the temperature continues to rise, at a certain point (around 125C) the CPU's thermal shutdown will be triggered. The thermal shutdown point is not at Tjmax.

The main reason to avoid Tjmax is not because you want to avoid triggering the CPU's thermal shutdown, it is because you don't want the CPU speed to be throttled which will reduce performance.

I've pushed 24hrs on prime95 @ roughly 80-85C with intel burn test eating 11gb of ram. It has a few times gone into 90's, but has remained stable throughout. That's pretty much the worst it'll get at the moment.

I just installed my i7 920, is it normal for the temps to vary between the cores? I know some variation is normal, but I'm talking 35c on cores 2 and 4, and 40-42 on 1 and 3 (idle of course, but the temps have the same ~5c difference under load as well)

It's making me think the thermal paste didn't spread properly. Unless that's normal behavior?

izzy, reseat it with some new paste. Clean off the oldstuff pretty thoroughly.

Back