abit nf7-s help

misfitsfiend

[H]ard|Gawd
so i have finally gotten my computer up and running, and now there's something new that i can't figure out. i just set up my computer with an abit nf7-s, and mobile barton 2500+ running @ 2.4ghz with 200fsb x 12 multiplier. i've just decided to run some diagnostic tests, and i decided to try the included ABIT EQ program that came with the motherboard. whenever i boot it up, 2 high and low pitched beeps come up, almost like a siren. it sounds like some sort of warning or something and it says cpu rpm:eek:ff, cha rpm:eek:ff and power:1622 . i'm fairly sure my hsf combo is not to blame here, because it has been running without crashing at all. after hearing the beep, i figured maybe i put the cable in the wrong place, which i had, and it STILL didn't fix the problem. ALSO, the psu fan monitor is plugged into the correct place and THAT doesn't show up either!

thanks in advance for all your help!

Over at the nForcersHQ forums, people have been buying the AN7 and reporting similar problems with AbitEQ. It seems to be a fairly useless program. It's incorrectly detecting your CPU fan RPM, or whatever the fan is at, it's too low for the program. People have disabled it/ignored it. An Abit rep emailed someone back saying something along those lines.

My advice: use other programs (CPU-Z, 8rdavcore, MBM5) for monitoring/adjusting. And common sense. If you system works, is stable with whatever your favorite stability program is (be it Prime, SuperPi, F@H, whatever) then you're good. Ignore erroneous alarms.

thanks for your help! however, even in the bios the cpu temp and sys temp DO show up, but the psu fan still doesn't! i know this doesn't matter much, but i want my computer optimized, and everything hooked up.

ok NOW my cpu is steadily rising in temperature by approx 1 degree every 2 minutes...wtf is going on here? could it be a problem with the way i put on arctic silver? i was told the less the better...

Just a thought...does your HSF have two wires or three?

It takes up to 200 hrs for Artic Silver 5 to "cure". Your computer should be turned off to let cool after 8 hours of so of use for the first week-10 days. I showed a 3-5 degree drop on about the 8th day on this system.

What are your present CPU temps idle/load?

My AbitEQ does work, but I agree, it is a pretty worthless program. I had to turn off the PSU fan speed, as it runs at about 950 rpm, and set the alarm off. MBM is so much more convienient. Some people have had experiences with MBM that the temps are not accurate, but mine shows the exact same temps as AbitEQ, which I assume shows the same temps as the bios.

my cpu usually shows ~42c temp and ~28c system temp. i just don't understand why it's steadily rising today. today it went from ~40c to 52c before i left for school!

Is this rising temp a new problem? Have you disturbed your CPU recently? On my 1st NF7-S, the CPU socket thermistor was sticking up slightly above the level of the socket. The 1st time I installed a CPU, I somehow got it in level. When I upgraded my CPU, it had a very slight tilt and the HSF didn't fully contact the CPU core. I saw a normal temp on bootup, but it slowly and continuously rose until the temp alarm beeper went off. I found the problem, bent the thermistor down to where it barely touched the bottom of the CPU (confirmed with a tiny dab of thermal compound), reinstalled the CPUand HSF and it's been fine ever since.

it starts off at 35c and then steadily rises, my comp has been on for like 5 minutes now, and it's already at 45c and still rising....

Double check that your CPU is sitting perfectly level in the socket, and that your HSF is making solid contact with your CPU core.

woooot! i just added a dab more arctic silver, and reseated my heatsink fan, and now my computer is running idle at 43c! thanks for all the help guys!

Back