Abit going belly-up

Abit used to be sooooo very good. I still have an NF7-S (Athlon XP based MOBO, Socket A) running and it is rock solid. Even suffered through multiple crappy PSU's. It is amazing how long it has lasted IMO. It's too bad they aren't doing nearly as well as they used to... :(

Wow what a shame, my first major build was with an Abit KT7A Raid.

Seems kinda weird considering their IP35-Pro was the best P35 you could buy. And their P45 successor was looking pretty awesome as well!

it was a big brand back in the day, but sadly it looks like it will go out of business
they never released their X48 board that they showed in events some months back,
its looks the same for their p45,

most likely they were just demo boards

Yeah, for my second major computer build, I used an ABIT KR7A (or KT7A, don't recall) and it was great.

It worked until I build a new computer and the wife made me toss the old stuff taking up space.

But neither of my last 2 PC builds had an Abit part... so I'm not too surprised.

*Takes his Abit BH6, puts it on a miniature viking ship, lights it on fire, and pushes it out to sea*

*Salutes*

Hmm, that sucks if it's true, but I've heard rumors of Abit going out of business for a while and they're still around. Although it's true that their P45 and X48 boards are nowhere to be found...

Well I hope it isn't true, because out of the brands I have tried, I greatly prefer their mobos.

That sucks. I have my NF7-Sv2 in my closet with a bunch of memory and a heatsink. Just patiently waiting for a new home someday. Great board, save for the chipset cooling fan that stopped working shortly after I got it. :D

I have an ABit BE6-II that's been running since January 2000 (ie. ON since then). First win2k, then winXP, now Linux as it is relegated to server duty.

I had a Abit AW8 955X motherboard. Its still working to this day, brother is using it on his computer. One hell of a board, overclocks like a beast, isnt picky in what components you put in it, and is rock stable.

The stories of Abit going down has been around for a very long time now. Im not worry about it.

Weren't they already bought out by Universal, or some other company that saved them from closing their doors?

I remember my first abit BX board. overclocked a celeron 600 to 1Ghz. good times man. if its true it'lll be sad to see a real enthusiast company bite the dust. RIP Abit

Got my first taste of SMP with the old Abit BP6. Stuck it to the man intel by running dual celeron 366s at 550 MHZ. Those were the days.

Got my first taste of SMP with the old Abit BP6. Stuck it to the man intel by running dual celeron 366s at 550 MHZ. Those were the days.

I honestly miss those days man... best years for me. I was out of high school, in college and had tons of money to blow. :(

That sucks. I have my NF7-Sv2 in my closet with a bunch of memory and a heatsink. Just patiently waiting for a new home someday. Great board, save for the chipset cooling fan that stopped working shortly after I got it. :D

I agree, the fan sucked balls. I replaced mine with passive cooling, the butterfly looking heatsink by zalman =D

Bummer... I remember my old slot 1 Abit board that never crapped out on me from way back when. Unfortunate.

I've heard similar rumors, but nothing official yet. This would be bad though, ABIT has been a long time friend of mine, while I haven't had any of their recent boards since the good old 440BX days, I would sure hate to see them gone. I also give them a lot of respect because during the great bad capacitor plague, they were the only manufacturer to stand up and make good on dealing with that situation.

I have had a lot of abit boards, and they have been good to me. Most are still running strong. My 680i was the first board I ever overclocked on, and that's where I fell in love with uGuru. I've never EVER seen a better BIOS overclocking setup than that on any other board I've ever used ... Foxconn, EVGA, Biostar, Gigabyte .... uGuru (in the BIOS) beats the crap out of them as far as I'm concerned. 5 BIOS saves, which save EVERY setting, not just three voltage/clock speed settings like my EVGA board, control over almost every little variable you could possibly imagine. I had more fun overclocking that board than my EVGA that replaced it, even though the EVGA achieved a higher maximum clock on my quad core.

I sold my 680i to a friend, and he's still using it. Having some minor issues with it, but it's still running strong. Awesome leds on the back of it, too. Black PCB... man that was a beauty.

The other less expensive boards I've used in builds for family members are still kicking and haven't had a single hiccup. I, for one, would be extremely sad to see them go. If they do, we need to get together and do the viking thing with the ship. I have a board or two that I would send along for the ceremony.

PLEASE DON'T QUIT, ABIT!! Make a big comeback like AMD's doing!!!

I loved their OTES when it first come out, first of the kewl accessories. I got a 680i that I traded off Tman, been a good board, I remember when Asus and Abit where the only name brands that where worth a damn.

certainly in the UK you will toil to find a BIostar stockist (I only know of 1) & if that is replicated throughout Europe it puts them considerably behind where abit are at in terms of distribution.

It's all rumour atm & ironically the also rumoured problems/withdrawal with nVidia chipsets may actually do abit a favour.

Enthusiast sales don't keep a big company like Abit going. Having some great motherboards popular with enthusiasts won't keep them afloat.

I love my IP35-Pro.

I notice a lot of you talking about really old Abit boards you have, but nothing recent. You can't be all that sad to see Abit go if you haven't bought one of their boards in 6-8 years.

I love my IP35-Pro.

I notice a lot of you talking about really old Abit boards you have, but nothing recent. You can't be all that sad to see Abit go if you haven't bought one of their boards in 6-8 years.

It's sad that what used to be a great manufacturer is now not nearly as good as they used to be. When I bought my NF7-S it was considered one of the best boards out next to the likes of Asus boards. Now I don't even consider looking for an Abit board. That I find sad.

It's sad that what used to be a great manufacturer is now not nearly as good as they used to be. When I bought my NF7-S it was considered one of the best boards out next to the likes of Asus boards. Now I don't even consider looking for an Abit board. That I find sad.

I agree, the last major Abit board was the IT7 MAX2 for me.

I like Abit, but Gigabyte's boards have impressed me. Granted, I don't have the funds to constantly upgrade/build systems.

Still running an Abit Nforce 4 Ultra motherboard in my main machine and its been solid for a good few years now (and will continue to unless I ever get around to upgrading it).

However, I'll always remember them for making the dual celeron socket BP6, now that was a damn fine enthusiasts motherboard :).

I'll definately be sad to see them go. I have had so many Abit boards over the years. I started out with a BE6, then got a BP6 and another celly, then it caught fire and I moved to a VP6. After that I got a NF7-S for a while and followed it up with an IT7-MAX when I moved to the P4. The IT7-MAX got replaced by an IC7-MAX2. After that I took a break from them for a bit and now I have an NF-m2 nView in my HTPC.

Oddly enough, I eventually replaced some components on the BP6 that caught fire and it is running still to this day. Great trooper of a board.

They seemed to be making a comeback with the IP35 boards,then they just faded.Their problem seems to be getting new boards out in the marketplace,no X48,no P45,and the IP38 might as well be non-existent for all the attention it's gotten.

The only Abit board I ever had was a KT7 that died after a few years because the capacitors all blew up, one by one.

Abit Ic7 Max3
Abit AW8-32x
Abit IP35-E
Abit BP6
Abit VP6

Amazing.

Enthusiast sales don't keep a big company like Abit going. Having some great motherboards popular with enthusiasts won't keep them afloat.

The only motherboards they seem to have gotten released in a timely manner have been budget boards. Ironically, AMD seems to be stronger in the budget sector and abit has been comparatively ignoring that platform. They should grab the upcoming AMD 790FX/790GX + SB750 ball and run with it for all they're worth, build up a warchest, stop taking shortcuts (Gigabit LAN on the PCI bus? Come on! It's 2008 already!), and rebuild.

Back