Abit AW9D-Max dilema: 4pin and 8 pin cpu power??

rbarr110

Limp Gawd
Helping a friend build a new system and am confused about the 8pin and 4pin CPU power connectors.

OK here is what I found in the Abit FAQ....

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/faq_popup.php?model=326&faq_id=759

However, I still have a question. The power supply is a Cooler Master which is a 24pin ATX with an additional 4 pin CPU connector. The extra 4 pins on the 24 can be detached and not plugged in. So after looking at the FAQ, I should disconnect the extra 4 pins on the 24 and NOT connect it, while aligning the 4pin CPU power to the far right of the 8 pin connector.

Is that correct, or do I still use the extra 4 pins of the 24 as well. (To connect or not connect, that is the question.) Did any of that make sense?

I'd use all 24 pins on the ATX connector, then just use the 4-pin CPU connector since that's all you have. Good rule of thumb is plug in everything you can if you have a connector for it on your PSU.

Connect all 24 pins in to ATXPWR1.
Connect additional 4 pin CPU connector to the right side of ATX12V1 highlighted in red in the FAQ.

I have the same motherboard and decided not to use my old Antec Neo 480 which has only one 4 pin cpu connecter. Got a new OCZ PSU instead but the mobo will work with older PSUs without an 8 pin cpu power.

Back